HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 6:08 AM

My boyfriend sent me these photos from his walk today 03/22/2021:

Pylons at Mission Rock

Uber

First time I'm hearing about "Thrive City"

Curves of Chase Center

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woahjoey View Post
My boyfriend sent me these photos from his walk today 03/22/2021:

First time I'm hearing about "Thrive City"
“Thrive” is a mantra from Kaiser Permanente, constantly repeated in their adds. They probably sponsored the sign.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 2:57 PM

Yeah, Thrive City is the Kaiser-sponsored plaza at Chase Center.

https://www.chasecenter.com/thrivecity
https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...d-13898544.php

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 3:33 PM
你的媽媽

Kaiser Permanente has been a long time sponsor/partner of the Warriors.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 7:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woahjoey View Post

Uber

Can we talk about how good this building looks? I'm no fan of Uber as a corporation, nor of boxy glass-clad offices, but this pair looks so elegant and refined with the bronze-ish grid and the transparent glass. The crossing bridges are a nice touch too. Mies would be proud.

Not sure how I feel about the sculpture out front though... seems a bit... evocative.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 6:54 AM
heavy user of walkability

block 9

^ agree that the Uber complex turned out nicely - looks good, has inviting landscaping, and meets the street pretty well too.

changing subject, SFYimby has a nice update on block 9 over on the east end of the block that contains the public safety building, across the street from the south end of Mission Rock

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 5:36 PM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpermitted_variance View Post
Can we talk about how good this building looks? I'm no fan of Uber as a corporation, nor of boxy glass-clad offices, but this pair looks so elegant and refined with the bronze-ish grid and the transparent glass. The crossing bridges are a nice touch too. Mies would be proud.

Not sure how I feel about the sculpture out front though... seems a bit... evocative.
If memory serves me right I believe there will be a 'wall' of green vines and other plants in between the outer glass wall and the inner wall.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
If memory serves me right I believe there will be a 'wall' of green vines and other plants in between the outer glass wall and the inner wall.
while it was under construction, there were some hanging plants in some of the windows. at least some of those looked like they died after a while, not sure why or if this has any impact on the plan to have them there going forward.

I have been away from SF for a while, but am back, so might be able to wander over there one of these days soon to look again.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 5:01 PM

sort of hard to tell, even in person, but the few hanging plants look dead to me from the street. I don't think you can make them out in this pic

elsewhere, here is the work along the Creek, which I had thought would be further along by now

block 9W

new artwork(?) going in at Uber

at Crane Cove Park, they have been working on the extension of 19th St

block 6W affordable housing almost done

detail

north side

it also completes the view south from across the Creek

UCSF Psychiatry Center, Third St side

18th St side

Tennessee St side

fencing mostly down around the Weill Neurosciences building, so Gene Friend Way is finally settling into its completed state, looking east toward Third St

since the Neurosciences building pretty much completes the streetscape for now, here is a shot down Fourth, a street that - in this form in MB - didn't exist at all until 2002 or 2003, I think, and wasn't completely opened until 2009 or so.

here are the shots from the Rutter Center roof, west to east, with 5M making the most prominent new appearance on the skyline, and block 6W and the hotel the most notable recent appearances in MB itself

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 4:35 AM

Thanks Timbad, fantastic as always! Any idea if all those parking lots towards the end of the pictures are spoken for? I know 1450 Owens (which I believe is a bit to the left) was approved.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman12 View Post
Thanks Timbad, fantastic as always! Any idea if all those parking lots towards the end of the pictures are spoken for? I know 1450 Owens (which I believe is a bit to the left) was approved.
besides the Owens site, the lot just on this side of the traffic circle on the west side is to be a K-8 public school, with construction start repeatedly delayed over the years and currently slated for something like next year - back a few pages I think there was discussion.

and the lot immediately to the right of the traffic circle is to be affordable housing, the financing for which is still being put together I think.

besides that, that's all UCSF. they have chosen not to build on these parcels and instead have been buying up, and developing, sites outside the area given to them as their original campus (both elsewhere in MB and in Dogpatch) in recent years. must suit them better, but it has left this crater here for the time being.

edit: at least part of one of the parcels next to the Owens site is slated for greenspace as well, perhaps a playing field of some kind. not sure what the status of that is - almost all the park parcels in MB were/are extremely delayed in coming to be.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 2:01 PM

Those northern parcels on UCSF's campus will eventually be research buildings (aside from the K-8 school site mentioned by timbad). The stuff UCSF has been doing elsewhere in MB and Dogpatch is largely clinical focused, as they want that in closer proximity to the hospital. (The Tidelands student housing on Minnesota is another exception, but they didn't want to dedicate more core campus space to housing and it serves as a better transition to Dogpatch anyway.)

No idea when those parking lots might get replaced by buildings though, as after 20 years of focus on Mission Bay, UCSF is turning back to Parnassus and getting ready to invest mucho dollars there with the new hospital and other updates. Can't complain though, modernization at Parnassus is desperately needed.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 9:51 PM

the work along the Creek coming along sloooooooowly but surely, from the west side

I hadn't noticed before (maybe it is new, part of the ongoing work), but there is a public seating area tucked in between the two buildings of block 1 facing the creek

... and looking back from the east

the hotel is about done I guess

block 9W (or 9A), aka 410 China Basin

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 6:21 PM

UCSF says it has started construction on Block 34, bounded by Third, Mariposa, Illinois, and the new Valley Center for Vision to the north. There will be a 500-space parking garage at the south end of the block at Mariposa, and then a 500,000 square foot, five-story clinical building with ambulatory care, specialty clinics, and a pharmacy. Completion expected in August 2024.

https://sfocii.org/sites/default/fil...Block%2034.pdf

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 6:51 PM

I just moved away from that corner, but I feel a little bad for that neighborhood. That corner has been under construction for years straight. Everything from the new parks, the water treatment site, intersection rework, paving of the Block 34 like 8 months ago (I can't believe they paved that whole thing just to tear it up 8 months later), and now the beginning of another massive construction project.

I get that UCSF needs parking, but this corner is heavily pedestrian and I can't help but think it's going to be less friendly with this new change. It's right on the water, and on the string of new parks which have throngs of people every weekend.

That parking garage is massive, and their proposal for people to just drive around to 16th street to Illinois and go from that direction will never come to fruition since most exits from the garage will go down Mariposa to the 280 onramp.

The corner of Mariposa, Illinois, and Terry Francois is going to be crazy when all this is completed.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 5:56 AM

^ I share much of those thoughts. parking garages are never a good mix with residential and that's a pretty blank (SW) corner to show to the neighborhood. having said that, I'm appreciative that they're going to try to make the south face about as green and inviting as they can.

traffic on Illinois has usually struck me as fairly light (it could be I am not usually there during busy car times) as a starting point, so I am going to try to be optimistic about the resulting congestion around the intersection you mentioned. we'll see. Mariposa was already recently widened, so that damage is already done.

I'll add that I'm glad for the 'paseo' and generally nice-looking landscaping around the block. the look of the buildings themselves doesn't either delight or disgust me particularly.

and thanks to WildCowboy for the scoop! after being away for a while, I have also not been out and about as often recently as I used to be, otherwise I probably would have noticed this.

Last edited by timbad; May 12, 2021 at 6:07 AM.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 11:14 PM
Surrounded by Nature

How a billionaire family's tragedy inspired a new era for mental health at UCSF

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 7:34 AM

^^I read that yesterday and the thought I couldn't avoid was: "What a shame it's purely an outpatient facility because San Francisco really needs inpatient psychiatric beds."

Also yesterday, as I was out walking, I passed a scene that's all too common: I guy was wandering around in traffic on Van Ness with a panhandling sign. A red vehicle, labeled "SFFD Street Crisis" or something like that pulls up and 6(!) people get out and start walking toward the guy, seemingly to talk him out of traffic, but as soon as he sees them he starts walking down Van Ness another block and they don't follow. At the next corner he proceeds to do the same thing.

I watch the guy. His legs are in about the worse shape I've ever seen (and I worked at a Tenderloin drug treatment program for 12 years and also the Haight-Ashbury Free Clinic). It looked like he'd been injecting drugs in them subcutaneously for many years and they both looked infected with a large hunk of skin literally hanging off one of them with blood running down his leg.

I thought: This guy is what the mental health conservatorship should be for. He needs to be hospitalized, have his drug habit cleaned up, his infections treated, maybe even a skin graft. If he doesn't get something like this, he is likely to be dead from sepsis pretty soon.

But San Francisco would need lots of inpatient drug and psychiatric beds for the many people like him on its streets and as far as I know we don't have them.

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 8:08 PM

speaking of the mental health facility...

looking west up 18th St toward Third

corner with Third (streetcars officially back this weekend)

corner with Tennessee

jumping over to the new UCSF buildings' site, looking NE from Third and Mariposa, at what will be the parking garage

more straight on down Third

the garage portion has indeed been started

for now the parking lot is intact where the clinical building will be. here looking south at the portion of the drive-up crescent on the east side that was put in as part of the Valley medical building, (the crescent) which will have a corresponding southern half once the new building is in place

from the Third St side

and the current state of the paseo. the new building will frame it on the right

over to block 9A, seen from the south (China Basin St) side

and from the north (Mission Rock St) side, looking east

mock-up of a building section

jumping around now...

the southern face of the residential portion of MB, now that block 6W is filled in. (Stagecoach Greens in the foreground)

the metallic sculpture in the Uber greenspace is complete now

'traction power facility' below the freeway under construction as part of the electrification of the Caltrain line

not exactly MB, but close by, the one at 17th and Arkansas in Potrero Flats

another look at the Muni stop at 4th and Brannan. 490 Brannan really needs to happen - sort of unbelievable that this site has been left almost blank for this long

... and Mission Creek, with glimpses of the work being done on the south bank, on the left. this weekend there were people sitting out on the creekside patio of the brewpub on the corner with Third, which was nice to see

Last edited by timbad; May 19, 2021 at 11:32 PM. Reason: added link to Caltrain

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 7:14 AM

Does anyone know why there is such slow movement on the Bayfront park in front of the new Warriors arena?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development