HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Aug 5, 2022, 12:34 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Barcelona airport's terminal 2 is a great example of a design that stands out by virtue of its sheer minimalism. The high ceilings, high-quality materials, and natural light, and space are enough. This is a design that will still be attractive 50 years from now; all it would need is cosmetic upgrades.

https://barcellona.italiani.it/l-aer...?cn-reloaded=1

This looks like the inside of a data centre.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 5, 2022, 5:49 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Are they no longer going with the blue livery?

Definitely much needed and a big step forward for improving rail connectivity to LAX and in between the terminals. The train itself looks a bit derpy especially in all white with no other stripes or decals and obscured headlights. I thought the livery in the original renders looked pretty good. Anyway, the function is more important than the form here.
At this point, it looks like they'll be white, although it's not like they couldn't paint them a different color in the future.

I personally like the white — looks more "futuristic" and "pod-like."

Quote:
I think another thing LA could really benefit from other than a Sepulveda Transit Corridor connection to LAX is a brand new line, starting at Union Station, running along the same tracks as the Regional Connecter, then using a connection between the E Line from Jefferson/USC to the K Line at Fairview Heights, for a DTLA to LAX airport express type line.
Still not giving up on my dream of an LAX Express (with intermittent stops) along the Harbor Subdivision ROW:

LACMTA

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Aug 5, 2022, 6:04 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
This looks like the inside of a data centre.
Ha. It does.

My point is that there's a very fine line between tastefully whimsical (e.g. Madrid-Barajas) and kitschy.

For LA, we tend to get more of the latter. That's why a basic, no-frills design modular (i.e. cheaper to build) that focuses on silhouette and natural light and articulated through high-quality materials is the best approach as far as "future-proofing" the airport. Draw inspiration from the Stahl House and the MCM architecture in Palm Springs. That's a classic, quintessential cultural identifier of Los Angeles that's revered by most.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Aug 5, 2022, 6:50 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

This is the basic template I suggest drawing inspiration from. I would refine it by making the curtain wall seamless and more stripped down (i.e. fewer and/or less bulky mullions and transoms), fewer and thinner columns closer to the curtain wall, more elegant skin texture for the ceiling, and perhaps some skylights to give it some personality.

Otherwise, the sterile and barren visual language is actually what would set it apart from the majority of other "wow" airports. Beijing Capital is impressive by virtue of high-quality materials, size, and spaciousness, but it still screams "airport architecture" and you can very easily tell that it was designed by Norman Foster. Heathrow's Terminal 5 (also designed by Foster), while very nice, is boring because it follows standard conventions with the curvilinear roofline and trusses.

Most of the other "wow" airports around the world (built, under construction, or planned) are: 1) master-planned from scratch and built as a single unit (not feasible for LAX), 2) have architecture that is way too culture-specific, and/or 3) are visual overload to the point where they look like the work of a student's final project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
It's really not that complicated. I came up with this design in 5 minutes.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Aug 5, 2022, 7:02 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

This photo (apologies for the large size) really captures the essence of what makes BCN's T1 special in my eyes and what I would love for LAX to channel:

Architizer

— Jerome Bruner

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation