HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Yeah unstable lake Michigan levels is my top fear too
As a former Chicagoan, I don’t really follow?

I would think any Chicagoan’s main fear would be the city’s and state’s god awful fiscal situations, and what this means for taxes, public services and economic growth.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 3:03 PM

Unpredictable weather events driven by climate change. My neighborhood in Brooklyn experienced flash flooding this past summer, even though it wasn't thought to be a flood prone area. The scary part is that it's completely different from the risk posed by sea level rise and coastal storms. The flooding was from enormous amounts of rain falling from the sky in a very short period of time.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Unpredictable weather events driven by climate change. My neighborhood in Brooklyn experienced flash flooding this past summer, even though it wasn't thought to be a flood prone area. The scary part is that it's completely different from the risk posed by sea level rise and coastal storms. The flooding was from enormous amounts of rain falling from the sky in a very short period of time.
Do people actually think this is “driven by climate change”?
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 3:17 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Houston: crime and that's mostly it. Yeah we have erratic weather but the region has had erratic weather for thousands of years. It's more pronounced now because there's a ton of development and concrete everywhere preventing natural run-off and now flooding is an issue.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Why wouldn't they?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 3:25 PM

As natural disasters go, I dread a repeat of the 1998 Ice storm around here. I now live in a suburban region of Montreal that got the brunt of it back then. We were without power for a week, and we were some of the lucky ones. No heat and power, broken trees covering iced over streets, broken pipes, floods, etc…

Ice storms are therefore the most disruptive events that can happen in these parts on a vast scale.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 3:55 PM
E pluribus unum

Flagstaff: Drier (than normal) climate, affordability, stagnancy

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 3:55 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
Are you new to Seattle?

Seattle (not so much Portland), like Vancouver, is under threat of a massive earthquake. For tsunamis to be a significant threat the source would need to be 300 miles offshore where the subduction is occurring. The coast is at risk of tsunami concentration up narrow inlets (notably Alberni Inlet, but also Straight of Georgia/Salish Sea & Puget Sound). The danger to Seattle & Vancouver comes from a literal drop in the crust as the subduction releases allowing the whole plate to move laterally and vertically, releasing immense energy and forces in the 8-9 mag. range.

Earthquake is definitely my worst fear in Vancouver.

Everyone has an Earthquake kit (water, communications, generators, food, med kit . . . . . ) Our region has also been spending 100's of millions on earthquake proofing bridges and other structures. A special high volume firefighting system fed with pumped ocean water was installed to cover the downtown peninsula. Our building codes take seismic design very seriously. And people and the media talk about it (the big one) on an ongoing basis. It is very real to us, and I imagine Seattle is equally aware.
There's a fault line that runs through parts of Downtown Portland in fact its right under where Portland State University is located. That's one of the things that students are usually briefed on (like me when i attended years ago).

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
I now live in coastal southern California. I fear quakes the most. Unpredictable. Can be extremely destructive. I've lived through three: Sylmar, 1971 (shook me out of bed); Loma Prieta, 1989; Northridge, 1994 (shook me out of bed again). All were very violent and extremely scary, even though less than magnitude 7.

In your city, what scares you most? Tornados, hurricanes, blizzards, earthquakes, human problems like crime?

Are there any "perfect" cities that are worry free, where nothing can bother you? I will move there.
..... Car accidents? Even with the concerns for drought with modern tech and good long term plans in place for water its really not a problem. Pre air conditioning sure. So I guess a power outage that lasts for several weeks?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 4:05 PM

Looking at some of the natural disaster hazard maps it looks like North Dakota, Colorado and some of the surrounding states are the safest. But the biggest danger to the country isn't mother nature. It's civil unrest, a breakdown of law and order, political violence etc. I worry a lot more about that stuff than any natural disaster.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Thats how its blatantly reported on local news which is really disingenuous because they will ask a climatologist and will say something like...

"These types of heavy rain events might become more common due to climate change" and its reported as HEAVY RAIN TO CONTNUE CAUSE CLIMATE CHANGE (Subtext vote for the politicians we want)

And dont pretend its not I was in NYC for the Hurricane in August.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Thats how its blatantly reported on local news which is really disingenuous because they will ask a climatologist and will say something like...

"These types of heavy rain events might become more common due to climate change" and its reported as HEAVY RAIN TO CONTNUE CAUSE CLIMATE CHANGE (Subtext vote for the politicians we want)

And dont pretend its not I was in NYC for the Hurricane in August.
You weren't here during the weather event I'm referring to.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
You weren't here during the weather event I'm referring to.
that does not refute my statement at all

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 4:33 PM

For Chicago I'd say -

1) Continued fiscal disaster of the state & city
2) Crime
3) Policies of local politicians

All three are pretty intertwined. No natural disasters make it to the top of my list.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 4:34 PM

Well, where I am right now the thing I probably fear most is a rattlesnake or a charging javelina . . . or a 90 year old blind person behind the wheel of an F-350.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 4:35 PM
你的媽媽

Heat, drought, earthquakes, property crime.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
Are you new to Seattle?
Yeah.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 4:45 PM
你的媽媽

^ Earthquakes and volcanoes are mostly a West Coast thing. The Ring of Fire basically. Not much we can do about it. Seattle is at risk just as much as SF probably.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 4:52 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Crime and incivility in general.

we just bought a condo near a long time little druggie park square bus stop and the city is building a homeless shelter just across from it, so yeah, probably that. otherwise, i couldn't be happier with much more space.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post

As for the human element, Greenville has always had higher crime than Asheville, with the news down here having always been full of shootings, stabbings, and people and things being set afire or run over on purpose. We knew that coming in. However, Greenville is considerably more conservative than Asheville, and many of the more ardent right-wingers seem to view themselves as antibodies of a sort, and are constantly on the lookout for pathogens that might infect the body of real 'Murka. To that end, when my husband and I go out together we often get the shit eye from some patriot with too large a belt buckle and too small a brain. No one's done or said anything yet, but they look, and it's hard not to worry when one's going to snap. Also, up in Asheville the Bible-thumpers were present, but they'd leave you alone if you ignored them and walked on past. Down here the Bible-thumpers don't so much thump it as beat it like a timpani drum, and they will chase you and will corner you to tell you about all the torments and indignities you'll suffer in hell. And in Asheville we never thought a thing of holding hands in public, whereas down here that's not a good idea.
I find this to be quite sad, and I'm sorry you have to deal with it. My parents are retiring to the Charleston, SC area, and whenever I visit, I feel a latent air of homophobia. It's enough to make me uncomfortable visiting, and I can't imagine living in a place like that.

Cincinnati is a pretty conservative metro, but I've never felt the same level of discomfort there as I have in Charleston. Cincy actually feels pretty queer friendly, oddly enough.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions