HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 11, 2021, 8:37 PM

One Year Later, Renters Are ‘Frantic’ To Return To NYC...

Imagine wanting to ease back into your New York City life after being away for a year. You scan apartment listings and see your old place is available. Sounds like a great coincidence, right?

That’s what happened to Ranee Soundara, who let her apartment lease lapse during the pandemic, and was hoping to return to the city in October. There was only one problem: The place is “now almost 25 percent more than what I paid last year, which is insane,” she tells Brick. She’s looking elsewhere—including other cities.

She's not the only one having a tough time. Many renters are finding it painfully more expensive and stressful to land an apartment in the city now as result of so many trying to do the same, a phenomenon occurring even though many companies have delayed office reopenings. It's created a huge demand for apartments that's been ongoing since Covid-19 vaccines became widely available. Lease signings in August increased 171 percent over August 2020, according to the Elliman Report—reflecting a slight weakness caused by Delta concerns. Activity was even higher in the spring.

For buildings and neighborhoods with strong demand, rents are on the rise and concessions—like free months and paid broker fees that landlords used to entice renters during the recent slowdown—have evaporated.

Perhaps even more frustrating: Renters say when they tour apartments, they find themselves competing with upwards of 10 other renters—and getting priced out in bidding wars for rentals—a sign of just how competitive this market is.

Searching in a 'panic'
Another renter (who is also an agent) searched for seven months to find a new place, starting in March, with the hopes of being settled before her daughters started school in the fall. The family had left the city during the pandemic.

“By June the rental market was on fire and I was in a panic to find something quickly,” says Allison Sprouse, an agent at Compass. She encountered bidding wars at the listings she saw, with as many as 12 or more competing offers. The apartments went to the renters bidding hundreds over the asking rent.

“I felt even more defeated that as an agent I couldn't find a home for myself and my family, even with insights and the relationships that I had. The rental market is hard for everyone,” she says.

Even her old neighborhood was getting pricier, she says.

“I was watching the market extremely closely and rents rose beyond pre-pandemic numbers. I couldn't believe it when the apartment next to mine in my old neighborhood, Windsor Terrace in Brooklyn, was on the market for $1,500 more a month than what we were paying. It had the same layout as our old place, with three bedrooms and 1.5 baths, and it was rented within a couple of days."

Ultimately, she says, "Although our search was exhausting, in the end we found the perfect home for our family. I encourage those who are currently looking for a home to not lose heart, open your search parameters, and stay diligent."

Lack of available listings
A major part of the problem is a decrease in available apartments. According to new data from StreetEasy, the number of rentals on the market is the lowest it’s been since the pandemic began in March 2020, with the exception of a blip right after the pandemic started when the city was locked down.

For example, for the week that ended March 8th, 2020, just prior to the pandemic, there were 16,649 available apartments. For the week ending September 20th, 2020, when landlords had lots of vacant apartments on their hand during the height of the pandemic, there were 48,753 available apartments. Recently, for the week ending September 26th, there were 15,541 available apartments.

All that demand is likely to embolden landlords to raise rents.

“What renters need to keep in mind is that the drop in inventory likely means that the recovery of rental prices will follow shortly—rents are already rising and may surpass pre-pandemic levels soon,” says Nancy Wu, an economist at StreetEasy.

Article Link:https://www.brickunderground.com/ren...dding-wars-nyc

Old Posted Oct 11, 2021, 10:02 PM

People are coming back in droves to the big cities. On my Instagram, every week there is a returnee that was supposedly loving the "simpler life" upstate.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2021, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
People are coming back in droves to the big cities. On my Instagram, every week there is a returnee that was supposedly loving the "simpler life" upstate.
Interesting to note that office workers are not coming back as fast. Work from home is becoming a standard job perk for existing and new employers where possible. I haven't been in an office in two years, and I love it! It's good to have the option I suppose, but it's only a matter of time companies start looking at all their underutilized space and wonder why they're paying for it.

I wonder if we'll see more office-to-residential conversions as a result. They can make some really cool loft spaces with those older office buildings. Residential real estate continues to boom everywhere, but commercial real estate has definitely moderated during the pandemic. I was never a fan of the segregated 100% commercial districts that some cities have adopted in their zoning code. This may be the death kneel as more mixed-use spaces are welcomed.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2021, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
I think people like saying this rather than actually doing or committing to it. I like getting out of the city here and there, but I can't see myself doing it for longer than a few days. It's like a weird cabin fever or something.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2021, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. View Post
Interesting to note that office workers are not coming back as fast. Work from home is becoming a standard job perk for existing and new employers where possible. I haven't been in an office in two years, and I love it! It's good to have the option I suppose, but it's only a matter of time companies start looking at all their underutilized space and wonder why they're paying for it.

I wonder if we'll see more office-to-residential conversions as a result. They can make some really cool loft spaces with those older office buildings. Residential real estate continues to boom everywhere, but commercial real estate has definitely moderated during the pandemic. I was never a fan of the segregated 100% commercial districts that some cities have adopted in their zoning code. This may be the death kneel as more mixed-use spaces are welcomed.
Yes, there's a difference. On my company, the staff of internal areas are still working from home, but people dealing with clients spent the pandemics on the frontline.

However, I've noticed the moving back to city predates the moving back to office. People I mentioned that are moving back work on journalism, architecture, jobs that were done from home even before pandemics, but they must have felt the need to stay closer to their clients and bosses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
I think people like saying this rather than actually doing or committing to it. I like getting out of the city here and there, but I can't see myself doing it for longer than a few days. It's like a weird cabin fever or something.
Yeah, I know the feel. You go to an amazing place on the beach or the countryside and then say, well, I can have a nice and quite life here with my cats.

It lasts a couple days though. Big city calling is loud.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2021, 10:27 PM

Quote:

My partner has been WFH for the past nearly year and a half and he is SICK. OF. IT. He's told me recently that he's thinking of possibly going into the office a few days a week, as some of his co-workers have started to do last month...

He's told me that he looks forward to me coming home and us going out to dinner during the week---we've been doing it really often the past several months, and I don't blame him for not wanting to just stay home all day, work, and then staying home the rest of the evening so that we cook dinner, and then going out for a walk in our same damn neighborhood hehe.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 11, 2021, 11:38 PM
Never Dell

A lot of people like WFH, a lot of people don't, and a lot of people have been surprised at how their opinions have evolved in either direction. Some opinions might go back and forth, particularly as the grass won't always be greener. Working styles, connectedness/disconnectedness, access to promotions, child care, sleep schedules, commuting, the excitement of the city, and other factors push and pull.

I'm honestly a little surprised that rental housing has recovered so quickly. It's not just most people returning, but a surge even beyond that. There must be a lifestyle aspect. Also, new supply has slowed in many places.

Here in Seattle apartment vacancies have fallen from 7.2% to 4.5% per CoStar, easily the lowest on their 12-year list. Rents went up from $2.10/sf in December to $2.35/sf in September before falling slightly as the school year began (which might keep the construction starts coming). Higher-end units, which are typically higher-vacancy as they're often still in lease-up, have fallen from 10.6% to 6.0%. The condo market is still problematic, in part due to closed borders and the uncertainty of living near work.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2021, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
A lot of people like WFH, a lot of people don't, and a lot of people have been surprised at how their opinions have evolved in either direction. Some opinions might go back and forth, particularly as the grass won't always be greener. Working styles, connectedness/disconnectedness, access to promotions, child care, sleep schedules, commuting, the excitement of the city, and other factors push and pull.

I'm honestly a little surprised that rental housing has recovered so quickly. It's not just most people returning, but a surge even beyond that. There must be a lifestyle aspect. Also, new supply has slowed in many places.
I've started to spend about one day per week in the office. I hated working from home pre-pandemic, but it has grown on me. And even when I'm in the office, I end up spending all day on Zoom because everyone else is at home.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 12:23 AM

I'm still confused why people thought, at the height of the pandemic, that cities were doomed to increasing WFH. This would be based on a false premise - that people live in urban centers due to their jobs, rather than preferring urban centers. It made no sense then, and less sense now.

Almost no one lives in Manhattan bc of their job. There are much cheaper nearby areas with about the same commute. They generally live there bc they want that type of environment. Putting aside the fact that total WFH is ending for most, the people attracted to high cost urban environments aren't there bc of a job.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 12:48 AM
devout Pizzatarian

My wife and I have structured our work lives to be 100% WFH for the foreseeable future.

Neither of us have any desire to ever leave our awesome Chicago neighborhood.

We could theoretically live anywhere, but we choose here, for a whole host of reasons that go far beyond "jobs".

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 12, 2021 at 1:52 AM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 1:51 AM

Delete.

Last edited by SFBruin; Oct 12, 2021 at 2:10 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
My wife and I have structured our work lives to be 100% WFH for the foreseeable future.

Neither of us have any desire to ever leave our awesome Chicago neighborhood.

We could theoretically live anywhere, but we choose here, for a whole host of reasons that go far beyond "jobs".
Yup! I love walking out in Lakeview, my neighborhood, over the Loop for lunch or whatever, it is so much more peaceful and pleasant and during the day I can squeeze in grocery shopping or something. Who needs a 20+ minute line that can go out the door with people taking and accepting payments for orders on tablets for lunch to go in the Loop. Lines everywhere. Though most of the time I just do whatever from home now for lunch. No more sardine trains, no more losing an hour a day for door to door.

Last edited by pip; Oct 12, 2021 at 2:55 AM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 3:03 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I'm still confused why people thought, at the height of the pandemic, that cities were doomed to increasing WFH. This would be based on a false premise - that people live in urban centers due to their jobs, rather than preferring urban centers. It made no sense then, and less sense now.

Almost no one lives in Manhattan bc of their job. There are much cheaper nearby areas with about the same commute. They generally live there bc they want that type of environment. Putting aside the fact that total WFH is ending for most, the people attracted to high cost urban environments aren't there bc of a job.
Right, if anything, people with suburban offices that they now don't have to go to as often are more free to live in the city when that would have been inconvenient before.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 4:28 AM

34 years later, a Canadian bored with Canada is still frantic to move to NYC

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davee930 View Post
34 years later, a Canadian bored with Canada is still frantic to move to NYC
I'm a native Midwesterner living clean across the continent and I'll daydream about living somewhere in Queens.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 6:32 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Right, if anything, people with suburban offices that they now don't have to go to as often are more free to live in the city when that would have been inconvenient before.
and companies which previously needed large amounts of cheap office space in the suburbs can downsize to smaller but far nicer offices in the city if only half their workforce will be at work in-person on any given day

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 10:06 AM

I think a lot of companies and orgs are still trying to figure all of this out. Earlier this year, some companies thought they were going to be able to drag everyone back into the office this Fall, but the push back has forced many to re-evaluate that direction. Hell, just the other day Amazon now announced they are going to allow permanent remote work. The dominoes keep falling, and the needle continues to move in the direction of mostly remote work for people who want it.

I have interviewed for a few jobs located in NY/London/etc recently. When folks ask me if I would be willing to move to those cities - My response is "Well, I am definitely open to spending some time there to spinup with a team or come out for a month here or there to work with folks, but ultimately I want the option to be remote". Some companies have rejected me because of that, which is fine. They need to go through the adjustment of realizing talented individuals aren't going back to the old-school way of doing things. Remote work is here to stay.

Now, I also think many people can't stand working from home every single day (unless you have kids that keep you distracted, etc). This is why I can see concepts like WeWork, Industrious really taking off. If you own a company, why lock yourself into a long-term lease for space that may (or may not) get used most of the time? Why not just give everyone in your company an all-access pass to WeWork. Then, if they want to get together for in-person work, they can get together at a location of their choosing and get some of that "in-person" time in. And if they need a little more space with a whiteboard - rent a conference room for the day and charge it to the company. This gives employees and employers total flexibility to either work in person (if they need to, where and when), or just work from home. For these reasons, I could totally see many larger suburban office buildings being converted into co-working spaces like WeWork moving forward.

Just my two cents.....

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 1:33 PM

Quote:

Had this very discussion at work the other day, most of the older folk, with kids and family love the work from home, and we are the management. But I can't imagine a 20 something wanting to work from home. There is also the aspect that most of the managers ( outside of IT ) feel the need to keep a closer eye on their staff.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRox View Post
I'm a native Midwesterner living clean across the continent and I'll daydream about living somewhere in Queens.
Funny you should mention that considering that I live in LIC (Queens), NYC!!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Had this very discussion at work the other day, most of the older folk, with kids and family love the work from home, and we are the management. But I can't imagine a 20 something wanting to work from home. There is also the aspect that most of the managers ( outside of IT ) feel the need to keep a closer eye on their staff.
That's old school managers. The younger managers are the ones most vocal about WFH because they're in Europe or something. Hahaha.

Some of the older managers I work with are at retirement age and have already shared with senior executives that they will retire if they're called back in.

But the 40-60 year old middle managers are the most vocal about trying to get staff back in the office along with the senior executives.

WFH has been a godsend to many households with families, especially younger kids. I can't see them voluntarily giving that up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions