HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
The old limestone bank building is an example of architecture that will never be recreated again, at least not in our lifetimes. Its a shame that they could not have incorporated it into the new development, especially since that new development is nothing special as you stated (and i agree!).

The prevalence of buildings like that are really what set Chicago apart from a lot of other American cities, and the more of them we sacrifice to the wrecking ball, the less special the city becomes. We lose our history and sense of place.

My two cents at least.
Yeah, that is my thinking as well. There is photo thread on Ft. Worth's museum district and there are comments as to how it is all so generic looking. Well, tearing down buildings like the bank will ultimately result in generic looking streetscapes.

I was all for developing the large parking lots around the bank (though they did make cutting through easy), but the design is bleh, the reality will be worse, and we lost a nice building that held the corner well.

Someone needs to give LVDW lots of money so he can redevelop larger scale old buildings and incorporate new.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 8:43 PM
1st Ward

^ If at least the building that replaced it was a dense project with 5-10 stories of residential then at least we can claim that the neighborhood will be getting more dense and the new residents providing customers to all the local businesses and vitality to that intersection overall. But instead, the old 2 story bank building is being replaced by another 2 story building! Wasted opportunity.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 3:54 AM
Chicago

Three Four Five - 345 N Morgan

November 23, 2021

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 3:59 AM
Chicago

732 W Randolph

November 23, 2021

Permit Revisions For Nine-Story Office Addition At Fulton Market’s 732 W Randolph Street
https://chicagoyimby.com/2020/10/per...ph-street.html

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
I was all for developing the large parking lots around the bank (though they did make cutting through easy), but the design is bleh, the reality will be worse, and we lost a nice building that held the corner well.

Judging by the tenants and the space they wanted to use it doesn't look like that would be a very practical or effective solution. Sure you'd preserve the façade but at the expense of one of the core Chicago architectural tenets...function.

As to the design...it's not bleh...it's just current. The bank itself isn't anything special either...it's representative of it's time...but it's also a bit tired looking and plain. This isn't the Eagle Building at Sheridan & Broadway that was worth the time & effort of preserving.

As to holding the corner...that's bull. It was a bank that barely activated the corner it sat on. Especially in this day and age when so much banking is done electronically there was very little traffic in or out. It was about as lively a property as a tomb. The privilege of having that lifeless mass crowding the sidewalk at Clark came at the expense of deactivating the Clark street frontage and suffering a parking lot on Belmont & Halsted. A grocery store that spans the full frontage with entrances at Halsted & Clark will provide infinitely greater levels of activity.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 9:36 PM

Rendering for Gateway 79, proposed for 79th & State

https://elevatedchicago.org/news/a-s...to-city-grant/

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 10:09 AM

Didn't know if this should go in the Boom Rundown yet, but relocate if needed.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...ry-hits-market

November 24, 2021 09:06 AM

Fulton Market property next to future Guinness brewery hits the market

Another longtime owner is looking to capitalize on investors' big appetite for development sites in the neighborhood.

DANNY ECKER

As Irish beer brand Guinness prepares to open a big brewery in the Fulton Market District, the owner of a property across the street from the future taproom is hoping to cash out and seize investors' voracious appetite for development sites in the trendy corridor.

New to the market this month is the half-acre property at 415-417 N. Sangamon St., according to a flyer from Cushman & Wakefield. Cushman is marketing the site on behalf of a venture led by investor Grey Bemis-Kelley, according to Cook County property records.

Quote:
No asking price is listed for the property, which includes a 43,378-square-foot building and an adjacent vacant lot along Sangamon Street between Kinzie Street and a Metra rail line running through the neighborhood. But sources familiar with the offering said bids are expected to be north of $11 million...
Quote:
The Cushman flyer includes a conceptual rendering of a building rising roughly 25 stories. (See rendering below.)

Old Posted Nov 27, 2021, 9:19 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Rendering for Gateway 79, proposed for 79th & State

https://elevatedchicago.org/news/a-s...to-city-grant/
EDIT: ironically given the other discussion about NYC infill, this image is actually an affordable housing project in the Bronx. The State/79th project has yet to be designed and the city grant only covered $15000 for some initial planning and a design competition.

http://www.christinariverexchange.co...ntral-bronx-ny

Wow, this is impressive especially for a rundown intersection next to a Dan Ryan offramp. Granted, this is the intersection of the city’s busiest rail line and busiest bus line so I’m glad to see it being built up accordingly instead of being a grubby suburban style hellhole.

On the other hand, the busy expressway noise/pollution and traffic make this not a very pleasant place to live. I hope the city can at least step in with some improvements to calm traffic and make walking safer around here.

Last edited by ardecila; Nov 27, 2021 at 9:30 PM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2021, 2:16 AM
devout Pizzatarian

City vs. city garbage removed.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2021, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
EDIT: ironically given the other discussion about NYC infill, this image is actually an affordable housing project in the Bronx. The State/79th project has yet to be designed and the city grant only covered $15000 for some initial planning and a design competition.

Wow, this is impressive especially for a rundown intersection next to a Dan Ryan offramp. Granted, this is the intersection of the city’s busiest rail line and busiest bus line so I’m glad to see it being built up accordingly instead of being a grubby suburban style hellhole.

On the other hand, the busy expressway noise/pollution and traffic make this not a very pleasant place to live. I hope the city can at least step in with some improvements to calm traffic and make walking safer around here.
Funny - my first thought was that it looked just like some of the places in the Bronx or Upper Manhattan (even parts of Upper West Side). It's not the greatest but it's not absolutely horrible for 40% of it. This type of project is not a bad thing at all for these areas.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2021, 2:45 AM
TL;DR

^ No I actually like the scale and design of these NYC affordable housing buildings. The PTAC heating/air conditioning system is very distinctive with the louvers under each window, you pretty much only see this in NYC unless it's a cheap hotel. Developers in other cities never do this, I'm not sure why if it truly is cheaper.

Would be great to get something like that at 79th/State. I think what we get will be more lowrise though - the Carter Temple hasn't said how many units they are targeting.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2021, 3:07 AM

Quote:
^ No I actually like the scale and design of these NYC affordable housing buildings. The PTAC heating/air conditioning system is very distinctive with the louvers under each window, you pretty much only see this in NYC unless it's a cheap hotel. Developers in other cities never do this, I'm not sure why if it truly is cheaper.

Would be great to get something like that at 79th/State. I think what we get will be more lowrise though - the Carter Temple hasn't said how many units they are targeting.
The scale is actually great. In terms of a lower income housing building, it could look much worse. The right hand side is actually okay. It would be nice to see all parts of town get more buildings of this scale no matter what the income requirement to live there is (of all sorts of designs).

Old Posted Nov 28, 2021, 9:02 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:

Ah, that's too bad! I wouldn't mind if they just cloned this...

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 12:14 AM

Morton Salt - Wicker Park (?)

Nov 24

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 1:28 AM

133 S Ashland

Nov 26

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 2:06 AM

160 N Ashland

Getting Ready

Nov 26

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 2:49 AM
1st Ward

Cant wait! That project is going to be a game changer for that entire block. It will really help visually pull the development of the West Loop further west. Perfect placement by the Ashland Green/Pink line stop as well.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 3:01 AM

Plumbers Hall - 1401 W Randolph

Nov 26

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 2:11 AM

1300 W Carrol - ADM elevators

Nov 26

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 5:26 PM
1st Ward

Yeah, that's a shame. It was a real gem of a building. Was is structurally unsound, or did the developer simply not want to salvage it?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development