Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

PENN 15 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNYC View Post
And to think Tower Verre was send back to the drawing boards and "cut" 200 feet from 1,200+ to 1,000+ FT because it was too close, 20 blocks away, to the Empire State Building.

So this 1,200 ft Lord Foster piece of trash will go up a block away.

Not against development at the Hotel Penn site, just want an epic NYC tower like 175 Park.. not this crap.
Tower Verre was supposedly chopped because it was mid block and because the planning chair at the time criticized the top design at the time, calling it unfinished and unworthy of sharing the sky with the ESB (or something like that). I certainly did not agree with that decision.

Last edited by DCReid; Nov 16, 2021 at 4:15 PM. Reason: edit

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 8:15 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
Tower Verre was supposedly chopped because it was mid block and because the planning chair at the time criticized the top design at the time, calling it unfinished and unworthy of sharing the sky with the ESB (or something like that). I certainly did not agree with that decision.
They called it unfinished, and yet, sent the architect back to the drawing board to design essentially the same building - they also locked the design in place. The two arguments didn’t make sense. 432 Park is exactly what the city needed.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 8:17 PM
BANNED

I think that Verre's proportions are perfect. I wouldn't have wanted it taller. I'm all for height, and I'll be disappointed if 175 Park is less than 1,600' tall. Verre, however, is perfect as is.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2021, 2:40 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
I think that Verre's proportions are perfect. I wouldn't have wanted it taller. I'm all for height, and I'll be disappointed if 175 Park is less than 1,600' tall. Verre, however, is perfect as is.
Verre was perfect in either version. But that' besides the point. There was nothing "unworthy" of that extra 200 ft.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2021, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Verre was perfect in either version. But that' besides the point. There was nothing "unworthy" of that extra 200 ft.
Agree, Tower Verre is still beautiful at 1,000+ Ft.. but the extra 200 ft height would've given it a much bigger impact on the skyline.. which it rightfully deserved!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2021, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNYC View Post
And to think Tower Verre was send back to the drawing boards and "cut" 200 feet from 1,200+ to 1,000+ FT because it was too close, 20 blocks away, to the Empire State Building.
No. Tower Verre was asking for a variance from existing zoning. That variance was denied, and they were only given a height up to 1,050 ft. It was a very dumb decision, but a totally different scenario, because they were asking for an exemption from existing rules.

In NYC, when a developer asks for an exemption from zoning rules, in a wealthy area, NIMBYism is gonna be in play, almost always.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 4:24 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 10:07 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
I think the biggest crutch with Verre is its location. It truly is an exquisite tower but knowing what we know now and how it stands, for the sake of aesthetics, if it was possibly in a better location, it wouldn't be drowned out as much.

Something like Verre, in a fantasy world, would of looked great with its South profile facing Central park in the Northern direction, like actually on Central Park South (59th Street).

Something those extra 200 ft would of aided, to make it more pronounced. Eh, I guess its what happens in NYC, gems become drowned out in the jungle.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 10:13 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
No. Tower Verre was asking for a variance from existing zoning. That variance was denied, and they were only given a height up to 1,050 ft. It was a very dumb decision, but a totally different scenario, because they were asking for an exemption from existing rules.

In NYC, when a developer asks for an exemption from zoning rules, in a wealthy area, NIMBYism is gonna be in play, almost always.
Reminds me of the 200 Amsterdam story. They claimed the skyscraper was illegal with its zoning lots and all that BS with the partial tax lots, so what did the developer do? They continued building! And very fast. They said f**k that sh*t and completed the tower. The N.Y. Court of Appeals did right in that ruling and by the time the ruling was made, it was already topped out, interior work at breakneck speed and in the stages of being ready for occupancy.

That might be akin to a Stephen King novel that NIMBYS read to their children. Warms our hearts. The Story of the Big Bad 200 Amsterdam.

But yeah, these odd balls wanted them to shave 20 stories off the tower. Some wanted it demolished entirely.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I think the biggest crutch with Verre is its location. It truly is an exquisite tower but knowing what we know now and how it stands, for the sake of aesthetics, if it was possibly in a better location, it wouldn't be drowned out as much.

Something like Verre, in a fantasy world, would of looked great with its South profile facing Central park in the Northern direction, like actually on Central Park South (59th Street).

Something those extra 200 ft would of aided, to make it more pronounced. Eh, I guess its what happens in NYC, gems become drowned out in the jungle.
Yes, I think the biggest complaint that led to the 200 ft chop was it was midblock. It's too bad it was not built in more prominent location to show its full beauty. I sort of feel that the Chrysler building is unfortunately now in a similar predicament - (and I still support the new proposed towers nearby).

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 11:21 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Yes, I think the biggest complaint that led to the 200 ft chop was it was midblock. It's too bad it was not built in more prominent location to show its full beauty. I sort of feel that the Chrysler building is unfortunately now in a similar predicament - (and I still support the new proposed towers nearby).
No, the biggest complaint was that the top was unfinished, and unworthy of the same airspace as the Empire State. The tower isn’t midblock at all, though that was a complaint. A tower of 1,050 ft midbock isn’t much different than one of 1,250 ft. But what was different was the height as compared to the ESB.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 11:50 PM

Quote:
No, the biggest complaint was that the top was unfinished, and unworthy of the same airspace as the Empire State. The tower isn’t midblock at all, though that was a complaint. A tower of 1,050 ft midbock isn’t much different than one of 1,250 ft. But what was different was the height as compared to the ESB.
Oh the precious fucking ESB, however will it survive.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2021, 12:51 AM

Until it got its antenna the ESB was never all that special IMO, not compared to all the other proposals of the time. The antenna makes it.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2021, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionist View Post
Until it got its antenna the ESB was never all that special IMO, not compared to all the other proposals of the time. The antenna makes it.
There was one proposal that I think would have been a rival to the ESB (besides Chrysler), I forget it's name but it was going to be huge. But got killed during the depression.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2021, 1:10 AM
Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionist View Post
The transmission antenna built in 1950? I imagine it was an icon even before then.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2021, 1:27 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Fucking trees again

Let’s make our tower greeeeen

Old Posted Nov 27, 2021, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC123 View Post
There was one proposal that I think would have been a rival to the ESB (besides Chrysler), I forget it's name but it was going to be huge. But got killed during the depression.
I think you are referring to the Metropolitan Life tower.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...t=0&ajaxserp=0

Old Posted Nov 27, 2021, 6:15 AM

Quote:
I think you are referring to the Metropolitan Life tower.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...t=0&ajaxserp=0
Yes that's the one. The base is still there, could always be finished one of these days. Though I'd prefer they extend it to be a megatall. Wishful thinking lol.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2021, 2:54 PM
Show me the blueprints

Larkin Building?

---

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 4:51 AM
New Yorker for life

Looks like the lobby has been reworked...

Older look....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals