HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 6:40 AM

If they use the same glass as 4 World Trade Center it will look fantastic.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 8:52 AM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySky View Post
If they use the same glass as 4 World Trade Center it will look fantastic.
This may not be the final product as there has been no official statement or press release. Perhaps they may still tweak with the glass yet.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 10:00 AM

@ Busy Bee
let's face from your last post only your personal taste + 0 arguments= just whining.
For the 2 wtc, as for other cool buildings, 90% of beauty is given from the quality of the facade materials.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 3:48 PM
Show me the blueprints

^ Thanks for the tip. My life is changed.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 3:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 View Post
This may not be the final product as there has been no official statement or press release. Perhaps they may still tweak with the glass yet.
It could change a little just as 270 Park did (i.e., offset setbacks versus parallel setbacks). However, if an anchor tenant signs on, I suspect that this is largely what will be built -- unless of course, the tenant prefers one of the earlier designs.

That being said, it's likely no anchor will sign, and this design -- like the others -- won't be built.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 5:04 PM
Fake News

When comparing this to Foster's other designs on the go in NYC it's really quite subdued and uninteresting. 2WTC was supposed to be an architectural statement that paid homage to the tragedy that occurred. Instead this looks pretty non descript. Kinda reminds me of some of the office buildings going up in Chicago right now.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 11:40 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
This appears to be pure value engineering of the original design, and not actually a redesign at all.

If you look closely, the massing still "slopes" down roughly diagonally in the same direction as the diamond did. This is exactly the same building with the same floor layout and everything, but no diamond. Right angles are cheaper.

People really ought to protest this... it would be a much better use of their time than protesting literally everything else. I'd take the damn Ingels block stack over this any day. Terrible shame

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 11:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
When comparing this to Foster's other designs on the go in NYC it's really quite subdued and uninteresting. 2WTC was supposed to be an architectural statement that paid homage to the tragedy that occurred. Instead this looks pretty non descript. Kinda reminds me of some of the office buildings going up in Chicago right now.
I agree. It looks like a 1,300’ version of a Wolf’s Point office tower.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 11:53 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
If you look closely, the massing still "slopes" down roughly diagonally in the same direction as the diamond did. This is exactly the same building with the same floor layout and everything, but no diamond. Right angles are cheaper. This appears to be pure value engineering of the original design, and not actually a redesign at all.
Here's what i mean (Sorry, drew this on snapchat with my thumb):

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
This appears to be pure value engineering of the original design, and not actually a redesign at all.

If you look closely, the massing still "slopes" down roughly diagonally in the same direction as the diamond did. This is exactly the same building with the same floor layout and everything, but no diamond. Right angles are cheaper.

People really ought to protest this... it would be a much better use of their time than protesting literally everything else. I'd take the damn Ingels block stack over this any day. Terrible shame
While it's not an official confirmed design, it does look like value engineering of the diamonds original Foster design, with the addition of setbacks added along sections of the tower rising from the wider base.

As for protesting: money talks. If someone had enough money (and clout) to pitch in and ensure the diamonds are kept (if this is indeed a value engineered design of the original Foster design), that would be way more useful than just a petition by a few skyscraper enthusiasts or concerned citizens. There were petitions in the past to keep the radome cladding on the antenna of 1 WTC and to proceed with original plans for a "Windows on the World" style restaurant at the top of 1 WTC. Neither petitions were successful. Given the importance of the site it's a shame how much has been value engineered, including even 3 WTC's height and spires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
If it does move forward, I hope they chose the glass carefully to minimize the quirk. I don't like it in this rendering, but if they skin it like 1 WTC or 4 WTC, it would look a lot better.
It would be interesting to see renders of this tower with it using similar floor to ceiling curtainwall glass as in 3 WTC and 4 WTC instead of the beach condominium type facade with smaller windows. The renders of the previous designs of 2 WTC used that type of curtainwall glass and it's widely used in construction of skyscrapers in NYC these days so any design that is eventually constructed will most likely use that floor to ceiling curtainwall glass facade design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post

Credit: bmosborne
If ignoring the texture of the facade and looking purely at the shape: it still portrays a diminished, sheared off "twin" of sorts to 1 WTC when viewed from the west across the Hudson River. If I remember right, there was criticism of the haphazard shape of BIG's 2 WTC that also functioned as a "twin" of sorts to 1 WTC when viewed from the west across the Hudson River and from the east across the Brooklyn Bridge.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 10:40 PM
Fake News

I guess we'll have ot wait and see official renderings but that mockup based on the model is giving me some OCP corp vibes:

It doesn't outright look like it but I could see a contemporary version having that appearance.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2021, 2:10 PM

Very disappointed with this ...

Old Posted Nov 27, 2021, 4:36 PM
JACKinBeantown

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I prefer BIG's stacked boxes to this mess.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2021, 12:10 AM

If that redesign is real then god this is horrible. It literally looks like they just stopped construction in the middle of building the original design and slapped some glass on what was left.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2021, 1:36 AM

The original spirit and intent of the rebuilding plan has been lost

After 9/11 there was a design contest to adopt the winners design as the replacement for the twin towers. Architect, Daniel Libeskind's design won. It was a brilliant and beautiful tribute, but alas, the powers that be, including Larry Silverstein, did not honor Libeskind, the winner and instead came up with the piece of crap that stands today. This influenced and threw off the design of all the other buildings and now, 20 years later we have a conglomeration of mismatched out of sync buildings that we are stuck with and are expected to honor in the sake of 9/11. Not I! Other than the reflecting pools the museum and the transit center, the replacement buildings are a complete failure in living up to and abiding by the rebuild master plan. I have no faith that 200 WTC will be any better as long as Silverstein and the Port of Authority are still involved. Ground zero has failed to live up to its mission and has become an architectural blunder and nightmare!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2021, 9:21 AM

Value Engineers need to be fired and never work again.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2021, 12:44 PM
BANNED

It looks like a 1,300’ version of what might be the centerpiece of Wolf Point in Chicago or something that would be built on Wacker Drive.

Last edited by JMKeynes; Nov 28, 2021 at 8:55 PM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 4:59 AM
AFKA Prezrezc

The area from the top slab to the third setback from the top needs some kind of angularization treatment that makes said top slab parallel to wtc1’s viewer-facing profile.

Plus, I would agree with those who suggest a noticeable lack of congruity with not only the complex in isolation, but with almost everything else downtown.

The busy-ness of the facade can easily be dealt with; an perhaps the proposed tower can be reoriented to make the setbacks comply with towers three and four.

Last edited by Prezrezreturns; Nov 29, 2021 at 5:01 AM. Reason: New iPad autocorrect…;)

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 12:12 PM
BANNED

I’m not worried about this rising. Unless Larry gets a Persian Gulf investor who funds speculative construction, which is unlikely, I don’t see any tenant committing to a 750k sf pre-lease, which is basically essential to obtain financing.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 4:16 PM

With 2 wtc being the biggest thing not covered by federal money, but only on the anchor finding, it is clear that Silverstein had/has to do something attractive and at the same time take into account the actual demand, which has not happened.
Is it possible the hypothesis that Silverstein asks too much respect, not for wtc complex, but tout court/ at all?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction