HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 8:49 PM

Rio Reimagined

Good to see this still moving forward!

https://azbigmedia.com/business/rio-...l-designation/

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 12:15 AM

Thanks everyone for all the great things being posted!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 1:33 AM

Tempe Depot slides from virtual meeting on 9/9/20

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 1:34 AM

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 1:36 AM

You can get better view for the lower retail portion. You can see light rail going underneath the building.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 1:38 AM

White area is the part that will be touching the ground. The train is shown on the top portion.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 1:39 AM

There was a Hayden resident that voiced her concern about the noise. Really looking forward for this development.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 2:21 PM

Thank you for sharing.

I really do not like this development. The height is fine, but the massive parking garage makes the buildings look so stubby, and the facade looks like shit. Reminds me of one of the hotels on the Vegas strip with the large painted concrete portions of the facade. Yuck. I'd be OK with this if they actually put some work into the design.

Also - that dude really presented from his bedroom in a basement? Looks like he's in a prison. Doesn't speak successful developer to me. LOL

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 2:40 PM

Hahaha!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 2:56 PM

Such a prime and historic piece of land, I just think we can do much better.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Thank you for sharing.

I really do not like this development. The height is fine, but the massive parking garage makes the buildings look so stubby, and the facade looks like shit. Reminds me of one of the hotels on the Vegas strip with the large painted concrete portions of the facade. Yuck. I'd be OK with this if they actually put some work into the design.

Also - that dude really presented from his bedroom in a basement? Looks like he's in a prison. Doesn't speak successful developer to me. LOL
Completely agree with you here, it’s awful. Doesn’t respect the Depot building whatsoever, and that oppressive covered area will never be a place that anyone but derelicts use. I’ve never seen an example of a building where this worked, these types of structures become areas where trash gets blown around, homeless people sleep, and junkies and drunks use as their personal latrine. Construction like this should be banished as a failed lesson of 1970s urban planning.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 4:25 PM

I love how we all thought this project was a joke when it originally got posted on the Tempe development website but now appears to be a very real possibility. Just goes to show when City budgets get tight and slammed by a recession, any developer with a proposed project that will bring in hundreds of thousands in development fee and taxes for the city gets the red carpet rolled out for them.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 5:40 PM

Lol @ the keyboard critics.

This will be another "wow, that turned out way better than those blurry renderings I was hating on 3 years ago."

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Lol @ the keyboard critics.

This will be another "wow, that turned out way better than those blurry renderings I was hating on 3 years ago."
We are all so spoiled with so much new developments that we finally have time to critique each of them lol.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 7:40 PM

Project is fine, just grossly over-parked. We’ve discussed this before but it shouldn’t go without mentioning, especially surprising for TOD. Anyhow, would rather see this development built than the property sit empty.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Project is fine, just grossly over-parked. We’ve discussed this before but it shouldn’t go without mentioning, especially surprising for TOD. Anyhow, would rather see this development built than the property sit empty.
While I'm no parking expert, I'm sure they'd like to capitalize on weekend events at Tempe Beach Park, ASU Football games etc. (once things get back to normal). There will be a lot less surface parking once the lot directly West on Farmer gets developed, along with others nearby.

I think that SmithGroup (the architect) will surprise some naysayers with the end result.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 12:13 AM

Im very surprised how there are different opinions on this project. Haha! I personally like it and how it’s a glass building with incorporated art. I think it’s going to look very nice next to 100 Mill and ASUSundevil has a good point about special events. That parking could come very handy. Especially as the city becomes more dense.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 1:31 AM
Skyriser

I don't know who was presenting but this is a RED-associated development. I suppose upon receiving entitlements escrow will be completed and the no-name land owner will complete the sale to RED.

I also don't think people realize how much parking goes into modern office developments nowadays. Look at Marina Heights, the whole thing is mostly parking garage.

The developer in any event is sitting on a large parcel that sells well because it literally sits on a transit center. It's simply not conducive to full time residents.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 6:23 PM

Hello everyone! I've been following this forum for quite some time now and decided to finally surface. I am a 4th year architecture student at ASU and have been fortunate enough to witness all of the development that is blossoming around Tempe. Glad to be here!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyRob View Post
Hello everyone! I've been following this forum for quite some time now and decided to finally surface. I am a 4th year architecture student at ASU and have been fortunate enough to witness all of the development that is blossoming around Tempe. Glad to be here!
Welcome on board hope to hear your input

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest