HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
Do we have confirmed times for 308 Guad?
Whoops, I meant 300 Colorado. 308 Guad I'm sure is still at least a year away from construction beginning if it happens.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 9:08 PM

I am beginning to dislike the Proper. As it nears external completion, it is shaping into a visual mess. PErish the thought, Third + Shoal almost looks... dignified next to it.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78701 View Post
I am beginning to dislike the Proper. As it nears external completion, it is shaping into a visual mess. PErish the thought, Third + Shoal almost looks... dignified next to it.
I see what you mean. It's busy and jumbled but I kinda like it anyway. Breaks the monotony of glass boxes.

Anyway, before long it'll be hidden behind Block 185.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouthman1 View Post
No I was referring to what you said about looking complete in 4-5 years. I'm sure Austin's boom will go on longer than that.
I'm not so sure. Having witness all the booms since the 80s, I think this last boom, during the next 4 to 5 years, will be it. We might see a few individual talls going up, 800 + footers, and some mid risers, but more sporadic than in large numbers. If we do see another boom, it will probably be north of downtown, east and north of the Capitol, and in and around the Domain. Just my opinion. And oddly enough, I don't hope I'm wrong.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 12:12 AM

Speakers starting now.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78701 View Post
I'm thinking some of those windows are covered in some kind of film which is why we see some gray rectangles among the dark glass. Hopefully that'll go away and it'll look cleaner.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
I'm thinking some of those windows are covered in some kind of film which is why we see some gray rectangles among the dark glass. Hopefully that'll go away and it'll look cleaner.
Makes sense. I'll reserve judgement until it's complete.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
The gray rectangles are make shift walls that they put up in both the interior and exterior. They neither represented walls in the final floorplan or anything else in the final build. I forgot the reason why but they mentioned it to me during the tour. Long story short, all the gray walls will eventually be glass.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 5:44 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I'm not so sure. Having witness all the booms since the 80s, I think this last boom, during the next 4 to 5 years, will be it. We might see a few individual talls going up, 800 + footers, and some mid risers, but more sporadic than in large numbers. If we do see another boom, it will probably be north of downtown, east and north of the Capitol, and in and around the Domain. Just my opinion. And oddly enough, I don't hope I'm wrong.
I'd include South Austin as well, South Shore Central, Riverside, even the newly coined St. Elmo District. Not hard to envision a similar transformation between Congress and I35, 290/71 and St. Elmo as what is going on up north. It's an aging industrial area that is bit by bit being phased out. Its a prime area for some high density along a major transit artery into Downtown.

Last edited by Jdawgboy; Aug 14, 2018 at 3:07 PM. Reason: Spelling correction.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 5:48 PM
PrimaPix Visuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I'd include South Austin as well, South Shore Central, Riverside, even the newly coined St. Elmo District. Not hard to envision a similar transformation between Congress and I35, 290/71 and St. Elmo as what is going on up north. It's an aging industial area that is bit by bit being phased out. Its a prime area for some high density along a major transit artery into Downtown.
Yup don't forget the Project Catalyst development on East Riverside. That will transform the entire E. Riverside corridor, (even more-so than it has), between I35 and Ben White.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 2:27 AM

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 3:54 AM

That's the shortest looking 32 floor, 400ft tower I've ever seen.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 5:55 AM
Rundberg & I35

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
That's the shortest looking 32 floor, 400ft tower I've ever seen.
14 feet taller than the Frost Bank tower being built in San Antonio....but completely lost in Austin's skyline.

Very curious what the street life will be like in this area once everything is completed and all the tenants have moved in (retail included).

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 5:19 PM

Just got an email from their marketing folks that this building has officially topped out.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytoony View Post
Just got an email from their marketing folks that this building has officially topped out.
Interesting... the crane's been gone for weeks.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 8:46 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post

It's a crying shame that such a pretty building abuts such a horrible, disgraceful one (Third+Shoal).

God, that parking garage paneling sucks. I cannot believe the city/design commission would allow that. Obviously, it's not illegal. Just ridiculous. That, alone, should give Cielo Development a bad name.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 8:49 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by East7thStreet View Post
14 feet taller than the Frost Bank tower being built in San Antonio....but completely lost in Austin's skyline.
As benign as your comment is...don't let SKW ("moderator and chief censor"of the S.A. forum) hear you say that. He's libel to get quite snippy at you.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 8:53 PM
Meh

I don't mind Third+Shoal as much as I do those awful powerlines, poles and the dreaded substation. Until that stuff is remedied, it won't feel like a neighborhood. It's largely a residential area, but that substation just kills the vibe. It's like an industrial zone in the way it interferes with the context of everything. It just seems so out of place.

I have no idea what might happen there in the future, but it's on my wish list of things to change in downtown.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I don't mind Third+Shoal as much as I do those awful powerlines, poles and the dreaded substation. Until that stuff is remedied, it won't feel like a neighborhood. It's largely a residential area, but that substation just kills the vibe. It's like an industrial zone in the way it interferes with the context of everything. It just seems so out of place.

I have no idea what might happen there in the future, but it's on my wish list of things to change in downtown.
It’s not going anywhere. They are going to start building another one on Rainey st in the next couple years.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
It’s not going anywhere. They are going to start building another one on Rainey st in the next couple years.
Please say that's not true. I'm quite naïve and actually believe that's possible although I can't imagine where they'd put it. About the Proper. I'm not as enthused about it anymore. I'm not sure I like how the south side looks with that rectangular window frame things. Maybe I would like it more turned to where the west side faced the lake, but then its going to be blocked by the new building anyway from that angle so those balconies are going to serve the best views from the west. But the sun is going to be in their eyes, as will the summer heat.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin