HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 3:28 AM
New Yorker for life

I'm not going to just keep cleaning up political posts, there will be suspensions. You know who you are. No further commentary needed.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 3:34 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK1985 View Post
After throwing up in my mouth a little, I think this could be ok if its not the boxy mess in the graphic. I'm hoping that its just a study image and not indicative of the actual design.
Perhaps they can follow the idea of the Sydney Tower but with a more modern design.

Well, the angle of the massing can be a little misleading. That mast is only supposed to be about a quarter of the height, but it looks larger from that angle...

I think there may still be more filling in for the tower itself.

Maybe if it were something like Foster's "Tulip", but it would still need more height to fit in with the skyline.

Barnett could have something like this in mind, though a boxier version...

https://thetulip.com/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 4:06 AM

I’m actually a big fan of the tulip so if we get some sort of variation of that grafted to the side of a building that makes sense design wise I wouldn’t be too upset.

Last edited by chris08876; Oct 23, 2021 at 12:23 PM. Reason: no need to quote a big set of pictures in the reply

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 5:39 AM

Stick a nightclub up there. 25 Dollar cocktails.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 6:20 AM
Sydney

This reminds me of those revolving restaurant hotels around the world- a regular hotel building with a whimsical attraction stuck on top. I personally don't mind them, they can add a bit of interest to a skyline if designed well.

By Klazu - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 12:26 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Hey guys, just an FYI but when replying to some posts, and in general with other NY threads, there is no need to include massive picture sets in the reply that were posted in the post that one is replying to. It just makes it navigating a hassle for everyone.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 11:35 PM
New Yorker for life

I'm assuming that this observation deck wouldn't be for hotel guest only, because why would they go through the trouble and cost of building it for a limited audience? Still, you never know with Extell. When you think about it, a 270 ft mast with an observation deck isn't really all that different than the 200 ft mast on top the Empire State Building with a deck at the top (besides overall proportion). It's all a matter of how it relates to the building. And that drawing isn't inspiring a lot of confidence, but we'll just have to see where it goes from here.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 4:16 PM

If this were 2000 feet as a structure, one WTC would still retain its status as the tallest building. This should be built as New York’s first mega tall structure and finally take the tallest crown from Toronto.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 4:49 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlosborne1 View Post
If this were 2000 feet as a structure, one WTC would still retain its status as the tallest building. This should be built as New York’s first mega tall structure and finally take the tallest crown from Toronto.
No it wouldn’t.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlosborne1 View Post
1WTC is famously 1776’ tall, including mast.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 12:51 AM
New Yorker for life

Just a little more from the soil report. This is all subject to change a little, as Extell fills in the footprint.

By the way, 30 Hudson is opening it's rooftop climbing attraction soon. I wonder if Extell would be open to some type of scaling excercise here...

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...2&postcount=42

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...5&postcount=50

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 27, 2021 at 1:01 AM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 7:42 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
this thing sucks

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 4:29 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
this thing sucks
Yes. Yes it does. At least that image does.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Yes. Yes it does. At least that image does.
Lol. That is an understatement. Did they mention an architect anywhere? I know it says SLCE did the above massing image but they are typically the architect of record so I’m hoping Extell retains Foster or another starchitect team along those lines.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 7:49 PM

Thing looks like a butter churn.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 1:13 AM

Hmm...well its tall. Lets hope the skin that wraps this structure largely affects this massing. From my 3d model.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 8:34 AM

Should have been the design for Penn 15

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 12:40 PM

The tower/observation deck needs to be of epic height to make an impact.. I'd say 1,600 to 2,000 feet.. so it looks down at the whole city.

Otherwise, it becomes one of the half dozen + observation decks in the city.. what makes it special.. def. not it's design to this point!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 1:31 PM
New Yorker for life

Awesome renderings. We’ll see what the final plans look like, but that doesn’t cut it. Hopefully more plans are filed soon for the updated project.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 1:37 PM

Great rendering work, but this somehow makes it look worse.

I suppose we can hope for a more refined look and good material. Then again, it's Times Square, so not holding my breath on either of those fronts.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction