HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

The Harper in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 2:55 PM

Even though I've never been to Philly apparently, I'd like to say that it seems a bit early to demo this perfectly fine structure. I just hope they're serious about this proposal and we don't end up with a hole in the ground for years on end. But if this is really moving forward then WOW!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Even though I've never been to Philly apparently, I'd like to say that it seems a bit early to demo this perfectly fine structure. I just hope they're serious about this proposal and we don't end up with a hole in the ground for years on end. But if this is really moving forward then WOW!
The nondescript one story building with Cavanaughs is the only one getting complete demolition anyway

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Yeah the three or four buildings fronting 19th and the couple fronting Chestnut are only having their rears demolished. The facades are all being restored a la Rittenhouse Coffee and the tower built behind them (a la St James).

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 6:56 PM

Boom! Love it. That means work on this tower is likely starting soon

Old Posted Aug 7, 2022, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
The nondescript one story building with Cavanaughs is the only one getting complete demolition anyway
I have to get to Cavanaughs for a last beer then

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Boom! Love it. That means work on this tower is likely starting soon

Patience grasshopper! But I too am excited to see this one get started. To me this one is a turning point of sorts for apartments in the City. Taller and probably more costly than any other built for rental. Plus, it's a pretty good looking design.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Patience grasshopper! But I too am excited to see this one get started. To me this one is a turning point of sorts for apartments in the City. Taller and probably more costly than any other built for rental. Plus, it's a pretty good looking design.
Has this been redesigned? Thought I saw a new rendering where the facade looked different (and not as good frankly).

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 8:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
Has this been redesigned? Thought I saw a new rendering where the facade looked different (and not as good frankly).
Page 9 post #165 showcases my renderings of the tower based of the most recent documents above and below post #165. Official renderings of this new design hasn't been released, but I lined up my model with the document as best as I could to visualize what we might soon see

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 1:12 PM

I believe these are the two versions we've seen.

From the CDR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
vs

From ?:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
So, this project is now dubbed Harper Square. And I found this rendering showing what could be the redesigned 611 foot tall tower

Image via: https://centercityphila.org/research...evelopmentsmap
For what it's worth, centercityphila.org now has the same image as the CDR. Hopefully this bottom image is just an old mockup that leaked.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
I believe these are the two versions we've seen.

From the CDR:

vs

From ?:

For what it's worth, centercityphila.org now has the same image as the CDR. Hopefully this bottom image is just an old mockup that leaked.
Simple logic here, the CDR rendering is higher fidelity. The devs likely paid more money for it (implying that they are more committed to that design).

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 2:32 PM

Ugh that second version looks like a slightly elevated version of NYC public housing high rises. But I am pessimistic a developer would attempt a luxury tower without balconies. I feel like there was an interview with Dranoff when he was hyping Arthaus and one of his takeaways from his recent projects was that buyers wanted more balcony/outdoor space.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Ugh that second version looks like a slightly elevated version of NYC public housing high rises. But I am pessimistic a developer would attempt a luxury tower without balconies. I feel like there was an interview with Dranoff when he was hyping Arthaus and one of his takeaways from his recent projects was that buyers wanted more balcony/outdoor space.
The Center City Phila website often has inaccurate and outdated info. I can almost guarantee that what was submitted to CDR is closer to what is being built.

What do you trust, an official submitted document with professional, high-fidelity renderings, or a website that has historically been known to post outdated info (their report every year includes projects that haven't seen movement in over 10 years) posting a 480p rendering?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 3:24 PM

I would imagine the CDR submission is more accurate, however, I don't think we know the final design of this one since the height was increased.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 6:51 PM

This will block the WSFS building when walking from the park to Market St. Somehow I hadn’t realized that. What an awesome development. I despise that building.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Whatever the final design turns to be, the devil is always in the details. Some developers care more than others, some architects will try harder than others, and some are just better than others. That continues all through the building process.

I personally like balconies from a design side, but I'm guessing they add a noticeable cost and ongoing expense if the building is going to be rental apartments. But I wouldn't be surprised if part or all of this building was designed and built with a future conversion to condos in mind. The developer can keep ownership for 10 or more years, milk the City tax and Federal depreciation for as much as possible, then sell off units as market forces dictate. I wonder if this might happen to the St. James on Washington Sq.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 12:57 AM
Philly Pholly

Last edited by SEFTA; Aug 11, 2022 at 9:23 AM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 3:38 PM

^ Maybe they'll feel the need to go slimmer and taller like one 'o dem Central Park South twigs.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 5:02 PM
BANNED

Here is another “construction anticipated” which to me means “we need content”. If TK don’t write it it’s not worth much to me imo.

https://phillyyimby.com/2022/09/cons...nter-city.html

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 2:21 PM

Demo permits pulled here for the non-historic parts:

https://eclipse.phila.gov/phillylmsp...ctId=517109906

Address
115-17 S 19TH ST, Philadelphia, PA 19103-4905
Primary Location: 115-17 S 19TH ST, Philadelphia, PA 19103-4905
Specific Location: COMPLETE DEMOLITION OF NON-HISTORIC BUILDINGS 113-119 S. 19TH PER PLANS

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyguy215 View Post
Here is another “construction anticipated” which to me means “we need content”. If TK don’t write it it’s not worth much to me imo.

https://phillyyimby.com/2022/09/cons...nter-city.html
Doesn't anyone edit this stuff? He has 2 sentences talking about square footage of commercial space and the number of residential units, and contradicts the number of residential units.

"One of the most exciting development proposals on Philadelphia’s drawing boards is Harper Square at 113-21 South 19th Street in Rittenhouse Square, Center City. Designed by DAS Architecture and Planning and developed by Pearl Properties, the slim skyscraper is planned to rise 620 feet and 52 stories tall. The 267,874-square-foot structure will hold 215 residential units and 30,180 square feet of commercial space and incorporate existing historic buildings into the base. The development will include 30,180 square feet of commercial space at the lower floors and 183 residential units above. So far, only a preliminary approval permit had been issued, meaning that construction must await further permits to start,"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals