Title: 115 S 19th Street
Architect: DAS
Developer: Pearl
District: Center City
Neighborhood: Rittenhouse Square
Floors: 54
Height: 611 FT

CDR Submission

Last edited by summersm343; May 8, 2022 at 6:02 PM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 4:14 AM

Great height and a nice tower. It's just a shame they decided to plop that attractive tower on that boring base. It's an overused formula where a contemporary tower is set back on a traditional, 3-4 story, red brick base in some sort of lame attempt to blend in and downplay the tower's presence.

If the base matched the tower and it wasn't set back, this building would be so much better. Even if zoning required the setback, why not extend the design and materials from the tower down to the base?

This is obviously 1000% better than what's there now and will be a great addition to the skyline. The overall design could be a bit more imaginative.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
If the base matched the tower and it wasn't set back, this building would be so much better.
Those are existing buildings, not something the architect dreamed up. They are
keeping the fronts and demoing the rear portions.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2020, 2:25 PM

I remembered now why I stopped posting here.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2020, 2:40 PM
User Since 2002

Quote:
I appreciated your point of view, McBane. mcgrath at times does sound like an online bully with his comments, even though I too appreciate most of his contributions. Let's all be friendly nerds now and celebrate building great things.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2020, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Relax. You compared a bunch of excellent and very recognizable Victorian era historic buildings to the the cheap pre fabricated brick base of 2116 Chestnut. Is some ribbing not in order?

And honestly I don't really think how often you visit center city, should necessarily have an impact on whether or not you can have opinions on development here. A lot of your input is worthwhile.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2020, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
and honestly i don't really think how often you visit center city, should necessarily have an impact on whether or not you can have opinions on development here. A lot of your input is worthwhile.
+1

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 8:30 PM

Boom! Build it. They're not effin' around with this one.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Great height and a nice tower. It's just a shame they decided to plop that attractive tower on that boring base. It's an overused formula where a contemporary tower is set back on a traditional, 3-4 story, red brick base in some sort of lame attempt to blend in and downplay the tower's presence.

If the base matched the tower and it wasn't set back, this building would be so much better. Even if zoning required the setback, why not extend the design and materials from the tower down to the base?

This is obviously 1000% better than what's there now and will be a great addition to the skyline. The overall design could be a bit more imaginative.
You're always outing yourself as a suburbanite

Just kidding, but as GtownFriend mentioned, these buildings have been here forever. To be fair to you, in the rendering they look a bit different because they're all unpainted but currently most of these buildings are painted like an off white and the second one from the corner is the florist by rittenhouse square that has had a mural of flowers on the front for the past few years: https://goo.gl/maps/teNvtuqACBgfck517

Keeping them isn't even an architectural choice. They're historically protected or at least the 19th street facing part of them is.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 12:20 PM

I don't think this will win any design awards, but it is a nice looking building. And you're right, it is time Philly had some skinny skyscrapers. There are a number of buildings in the city that are twice as wide and half as tall as I think they should be, like the Kennedy House:

Such a waste of real estate, but most of them were built before 1Lib broke the City Hall height limit.
Also, retaining the houses at the base annoys me. I don't know whether they are historically significant or anything, but I think it separates the base from the tower. They are at two different scales, and they do not really talk to one another. It reminds me of the Hearst Tower in NYC, where they have the original historical building retained at the base then the Foster-designed tower built on top of it. A weird marriage.

Last edited by thoughtcriminal; Oct 10, 2020 at 12:35 PM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 1:07 PM

Quote:
It's just a shame they decided to plop that attractive tower on that boring base.
ffs. Have you ever been here?

This is a huge win.

Also: No parking!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 3:59 PM

Quote:

Could there have been a worse first comment on this thread?

Also, as someone else noted, NO PARKING!!!!!!!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2020, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Could there have been a worse first comment on this thread?

Also, as someone else noted, NO PARKING!!!!!!!
Nope, nope there couldn't. Me like the tower AND the preservation.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 5:24 AM
Everywhere all at once

ANOTHER 500-foot+ residential tower for Philly?! This whole area is going gangbusters.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 1:14 PM

This is awesome looking! Nice height too!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 1:37 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Interesting choice of cladding color combo. No blue glass...yay! Building will stand out.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 1:49 PM

Hell yeah! Build it. Looks awesome.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 1:53 PM

Yeah, to echo above, I'm not sure McBane has ever been to Philly. That corner in particular is one of the most photographed spots because you get great Victorian/Philly architecture (old, historically protected) with the modernity of One Liberty towering over it. This is the "best of both worlds" (RIP EVH) - these beautiful buildings are preserved, and a very tall, slender tower will rise above.

And I'm happy Pearl is not going blue-glass, also this tower has a more definite crown that the Harper is lacking. The bronze trim should give the tower a classy touch. I think this one resembles the slender RAMSA towers in NYC and Chicago of recent years (obv. porcelain tile here vs. limestone in NY/Chicago, but I'll take it).

I wonder if SLC/The Laurel people's heart skipped a beat seeing this, as it does partially block some views The Laurel will have looking towards Center City. Hell, this thing is only 32 feet shorter.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 3:26 PM

so what do you think Inga will hate about it?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
Yeah, to echo above, I'm not sure McBane has ever been to Philly. That corner in particular is one of the most photographed spots because you get great Victorian/Philly architecture (old, historically protected) with the modernity of One Liberty towering over it. This is the "best of both worlds" (RIP EVH) - these beautiful buildings are preserved, and a very tall, slender tower will rise above. .
And catty-corner is Sophy Curson something of a mid-century, old money Rittenhouse Square landmark which is also highly photographed.

I’m assuming apartments since it’s Pearl? Would love to see them offer a few condos for sale.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals