HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 3:20 AM
BANNED

Calgary event spaces

I was searching for event spaces recently, and while there are the usual hotels, was starting to think through a substantial number of alternative spaces for larger events. Didn't find a thread for that on the forums, so am starting it with this post.

Check out this space at the University of Calgary. Looks like one of the inter building spaces that have been closed in, creating an atrium.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._f_Calgary.jpg

I can think of others, but thought I'd just start with one, and leave it to others for more ...

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 7:51 AM
Crunchin' the numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
I was searching for event spaces recently, and while there are the usual hotels, was starting to think through a substantial number of alternative spaces for larger events. Didn't find a thread for that on the forums, so am starting it with this post.

Check out this space at the University of Calgary. Looks like one of the inter building spaces that have been closed in, creating an atrium.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._f_Calgary.jpg

I can think of others, but thought I'd just start with one, and leave it to others for more ...
That's not actually on the University campus; it's the U of C's Health Sciences building at the Foothills. I know all of these inner city institutions look alike though...

That said, the U of C has probably the most extensive aggregate facilities after the Convention Centre and Stampede grounds, with 150,000 sq ft in the Oval, 28K in the Jack Simpson gymnasium and several other large gymnasium spaces, 9K in the new Mac Hall Ballroom and 6K in the old, two real theatres (500 and 400 seats), plus a ton of meeting rooms in Mac Hall and elsewhere on campus, a hotel and residences, and food services both in Mac Hall and the Dining Centre. Of course, 95% of it is in use eight months a year, and all the spaces I'm talking about are 800m from the LRT station.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 8:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeBaby View Post
That's not actually on the University campus; it's the U of C's Health Sciences building at the Foothills.
LOL! It is the University of Calgary's Health Science Campus. There are four buildings that are 100% University of Calgary on the Health Sciences Campus: The Health Science Centre (HSC - opened 1972), the Heritage Medical Research Building (HMRB - opened 1987), The Health Research Innovation Centre (HRIC), and the Teaching, Research and Wellness building (TRW). The space pictured is known as the HRIC atrium, with the HRIC building to the left, HSC to the right, with the narrow end of HMRB to the right at the far end of the image. You are correct in noting that the broader site-plan includes the Foothills Medical Centre (FMC - opened 1966), where much of the clinical training happens. FMC itself, is however, an AHS building, so had I posted a picture of some space therein and called it an image of a University of Calgary Campus, that would have been incorrect. Of course, I know better than to say that.

The UCalgary Health Sciences Campus includes the Faculty of Medicine and a large chunk of the Faculty of Vet Med.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeBaby View Post
I know all of these inner city institutions look alike though.
It is amazing how uneducated your comment actually is.

Anyway - the space is large and quite impressive. Lights in those metal trees change colour creating an interesting ambiance, though I hear they are only turned on for special events.

Your mention of the other UCalgary spaces is interesting, but not of the calibre I'm talking about. When starting this thread, I wasn't looking for a list of gymnasiums and ballrooms that we already know about. Agree with you pointing out the Olympic Oval, which is among the most amazing spaces that has on occasion been converted into an exhibition or event venue (like with the Calgary Youth Science Fair). It has some major downfalls, however, including, not enough exit bandwidth relative to floor space and most of it being via stairs, a relatively small amount of restrooms relative to floor space and virtually all of them accessed through the upper level via the single entry hallway, and last but not least virtually zero foyer / entry type space. Its acoustics also leave a lot to be desired. As an event venue, it pales in comparison to the now converted Richmond Oval.

Would love to see examples of other such Calgary spaces. Also looking forward to the list growing, particularly when Herald Square manifests.

Last edited by suburbia; Feb 5, 2014 at 4:44 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 4:43 PM
BANNED

Does any one have pictures of EAP's atrium being used for an event? I believe the upcoming HSF fashion show is going to be there. I've never been there for an event and am curious how it looks, and how many people it can handle.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues