HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 10:37 PM
BANNED

When are the 1st street and 8th street public realm redevelopment projects supposed to begin construction?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 3:45 AM
BANNED

Noticed the city has recently replaced a lot of old and/or brittle trees along 17th ave and in 4th st in mission with large mountain white ash, I believe(similar to the new one's on Stephen). Looks great. City was drying out for a bit, but back to looking really lush with the recent nightly rainfall.Trees are growing like crazy, look at the new 13th ave Greenway, for example. Some of those trees must be a couple metres taller from last year already.

Was looking out my buddy's balcony in Bankview the other day and the city looked like a big natural forest with hills and valleys everywhere and a huge skyline poking out the middle.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 5:02 AM

I have to say Calgary does have many lush areas but it is also sorely lacking in green medians (not sure if that's the proper term). Just look at Shaganappi Tr from the Children's all the way north through Northland - giant concrete medians in the middle of the road. Edmonton does a way better job of putting some greenery (i.e. life) in their medians than Calgary.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 2:01 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyc16 View Post
I have to say Calgary does have many lush areas but it is also sorely lacking in green medians (not sure if that's the proper term). Just look at Shaganappi Tr from the Children's all the way north through Northland - giant concrete medians in the middle of the road. Edmonton does a way better job of putting some greenery (i.e. life) in their medians than Calgary.
Medians are incredibly hard to maintain in Calgary given the amount of salt and gravel that is put on our roads each year. They had to replace a significant number of trees on 16th this year. I would rather the space be used for bikes lanes, and pedestrian facilities.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
Medians are incredibly hard to maintain in Calgary given the amount of salt and gravel that is put on our roads each year. They had to replace a significant number of trees on 16th this year. I would rather the space be used for bikes lanes, and pedestrian facilities.
I don't know the answer to this but is Edmonton any worse in regards to gravel and salt? Even the entrance into Okotoks on 2A has landscaped medians.

And yes I agree bike lanes and such would be great but having some green to go along with all that would make so much difference to the appearance of the city as well as make the commute for all way more pleasant.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 3:37 AM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyc16 View Post
I don't know the answer to this but is Edmonton any worse in regards to gravel and salt? Even the entrance into Okotoks on 2A has landscaped medians.

And yes I agree bike lanes and such would be great but having some green to go along with all that would make so much difference to the appearance of the city as well as make the commute for all way more pleasant.
Keep in mind Edmonton doesn't get chinooks, they create the need to salt our roads when most other places get away with just sand. As to Okotoks, it is entirely possible to maintain a green median in Calgary, just quite expensive and labour intensive. Similar to growing trees most anywhere in the city you need to water them multiple times a week for the first few years of life till the get established, and with the medians you would see a higher rate of failure in the first years than in an area that is away from a road.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2014, 7:39 PM
BANNED

I noticed the new Beltline park u/c off of Macleod has a bunch of big trees up now, lighting posts etc are in too. Lots of progress lately.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 3:55 PM
BANNED

Move this thing already geez:
Quote:
Calgary’s historic Enoch Sales House gets new lease on life
By Jessica Patterson
For Metro
Share this Article

Jessica Patterson / For Metro The Enoch Sales House sits boarded up along Macleod Trail near downtown, however a move next door and proposed renovation could see the historic home keep its place in Calgary's history.
Boarded up and dilapidated, the Enoch Sales House looms over Macleod Trail on the way into downtown.

Many passersby would probably assume its due for the wrecking ball, but the 110-year-old home may have a new lease on life, if the current owner and the city can sort out a deal to move the structure to a nearby park.

Current owner Dan Van Leeuwen, president and chief executive of New Urban, said they’re trying to make arrangements with the city to move it onto the new park, right next door.

“We were trying to find it a new home,” he said. “We’d love to see it saved.”

Van Leeuwen said the city had made provisions for the Sales House to be on park space next door, but they haven’t been able to figure out how to facilitate a move.

“We’ve been prepared to donate the house to the city and have them move it to the park,” he said. “We’d like to see it restored and turned into some practical use.”

The Queen Anne Revival-style home was built for Calgary merchant Enoch Sales in 1904, in the stylish Victoria Park neighbourhood. Characteristics of the house include a hipped roof with a dominant front-facing gable, a slightly-projected upper storey and bay and oriel windows.

According to city records, the house also has an open staircase inside, maple balustrades, and bead-and-reel moulding across the top of the door frames.

These days, though, it’s hard to see past the boarded-up windows and shabby exterior.

The Enoch House seen in 1977 and 2014. Historic photo courtesy Glenbow Archives.
The Enoch House seen in 1977 and 2014. Historic photo courtesy Glenbow Archives.

“For the most part, it’s still fairly intact on the inside,” Van Leeuwen said.

The house has been boarded up to keep people from vandalizing and damaging it, said Leeuwen.

“It’s been a very difficult house to maintain,” he said. “People try to break into it all the time. It’s boarded up for preservation more than anything.”

Van Leeuwen said the house has been difficult to preserve, as there have been a few fires inside, and it suffered some flood damage last year.

“We managed to pump it all out, and dry out the sandstone in the basement,” he said. “We’ve managed to preserve it, but it’s a tough one.”

In 2012, the city’s parks department developed a plan for a $1.4 million park directly east of the house. It would include green space, trees and pathways, and possibly the house, itself. Development plans for the house included an adjacent patio, interpretive signs in the front and possible ice cream sales.

Construction on the park began in the summer of 2013, said project manager Michelle Reid.

“We had two plans, one moved the house onto the park, and the other did not move the house,” Reid said. “We were hoping we would be able to move the house onto the park immediately, but it doesn’t seem we’re going to be able to do that.”

Reid said the city and New Urban are in negotiations, and should they come to an agreement sooner rather than later, it’s a small landscaping job to remove grass and install the house on the park.

“The idea is that we would remove the grass and put the house there,” she said.

Reid said the new park in the Beltline community is important, as the neighbourhood doesn’t have the right ratio of park space, as compared to other communities.

“It was developed before we had minimum standards of park space,” she said.

The park is expected to be complete in the fall
http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/112...lease-on-life/

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
So much for the new ClubSport hotel happening any time soon.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 7:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by woychukb View Post
So much for the new ClubSport hotel happening any time soon.
Lots going on across the Vic Park/Beltline. Surprised that the city didn't approve First South though, and now may be behind the hold ups at Clubsport.

Article mentions New Urban is willing to give the city the house for free.

Move it, restore it, and either lease out for likely high $psf, or sale. Not sure why this isn't happening already.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 7:48 PM
ARTchitecture

They are behind the hold up of Club Sport. They are basically making it impossible for the owner of Enoch house to be able to move it.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 2:03 AM
BANNED

So awesome. Another big area along the river getting redeveloped starting early 2015.

Quote:
Eau Claire 'sounding board' seeks public input on green space use
City will hold consultation in autumn with construction in green space expected to start in early 2015

People can leave their ideas on what to do with the green space near the Peace Bridge on a "sounding board" or post them to an online map. Consultations will be held this fall.
People can leave their ideas on what to do with the green space near the Peace Bridge on a "sounding board" or post them to an online map. Consultations will be held this fall. (CBC)

The City of Calgary is looking for public input on what to do with green space near the Peace Bridge.

Two major condo developments are planned nearby, but the stretch of pathway between Eau Claire and the 10th Street bridge is becoming more and more popular with Calgarians.

The city is asking whether it's time to do something with the green space and has set up a "sounding board" near the Peace Bridge for people to share their thoughts.

"It could be additional space for cyclists, it could be a community garden, a place for dogs," said Greg Stewart, the city's project manager for the initiative.

"It could be playgrounds. It could be active play space. It could be passive."

People can leave their ideas on the sounding board or post them to an online map.

The city will also hold other consultations this fall.

Construction on the condo developments could start as early as 2015.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 2:05 AM
BANNED

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 2:07 AM
BANNED

I've got to say, I've been seeing those big tree watering trucks frequently this summer throughout the inner-city. Something I hardly saw last year - impressed.

Last edited by Spring2008; Aug 21, 2014 at 2:17 AM.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 2:24 AM
ARTchitecture

Speaking of public realm, cast your vote for Kensington or Inglewood to be recognized as one of Canada great neighbourhoods/places

http://www.greatplacesincanada.ca/en/places.asp

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 9:56 PM
not a NIMBY

We need outdoor table tennis tables.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 12:18 AM
BANNED

Jimby, there's some tables up on the rooftop at National on Stephen's.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 12:50 AM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Jimby, there's some tables up on the rooftop at National on Stephen's.
Great! I was thinking somewhere like Riverwalk, Eau Claire, East Village, Sien Lok, Century Gardens or the outdoor fitness area west of North Hill Mall which are in the public realm. Apparently outdoor ping pong has become a popular activity around the world.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 2:43 PM
BANNED

^I like this idea. Maybe suggest it to Woolley/Farrell.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 2:50 PM
BANNED

I don’t know how practical outdoor ping pong tables would be. Wind and ping pong balls are not a good mix. You'd have to find a way to completely block the wind.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues