HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jul 4, 2010, 11:10 PM

Calgary Fire Code Revisions

Hi, I'm curious to have others thoughts on the new Calgary Fire Code.

What I gather is new construction must have some interior and exterior (depending on the site) fire resistance now. I hear they will be enforcing this fall.

OSB can be covered with fire blankets or coated with a flame spread of less than 25.

I'm wondering how this will affect construction costs and design? What coatings might the builders use?

Canadian Home Builders’ Association - Calgary Region
Builder Information Bulletin – 0910-20
To: All Builder Members
Date: May 17, 2010
From: Amie Blanchette, Technical and Government Affairs Liaison
Subject: IMPORTANT UPDATE: Further Revision of Fire Code 5.6.1.2.
Requirements Bulletin by the City of Calgary Fire Department

Old Posted Jul 22, 2010, 3:42 PM

Hi,

I can't imagine sheets of drywall adding too much to the cost of construction.

s.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2010, 4:51 PM

Am I reading this right, they need to have fire barriers installed as soon as construction begins above ground level? So they have to constantly update the fire proofing as construction progresses. Sounds like a big PITA. Can't see the drywall option working for homes that have stucco or stone cladding.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 12:00 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

http://www.calgaryherald.com/technol....html#Comments

----------------

Extinguishing cigarettes in peat moss is a really bad idea. Here's proof

Cigarettes in planters cause of six blazes

By Stephane Massinon, Calgary Herald June 14, 2011

The week after a fire destroyed two homes, the fire department said it is lobbying for changes to the building code and stressing the need for better education of the dangers of putting lit cigarettes in peat moss planters.

Two homes in Bridlewood were destroyed in a blaze last Thursday after a fire that started in a deck planter spread to a neighbouring home. That fire came weeks after a large fire in Citadel, also caused by a cigarette butt in a planter, destroyed three homes.

So far this year, six house fires have been caused by cigarettes in peat moss.

----------------------------------------

Nice quote too:

The vinyl siding found on most new homes melts quickly under heat and exposes the particle board underneath.

Jim Rivait, executive officer Canadian Home Builders' Association, said the fire department's preferences could lead to additional costs.

"What people have to understand is that that's easy enough to say. When you add a foot to the side yard, which means you have a wider lot, in Calgary it's about $8,500 a foot to the consumer. If you're looking at two feet, that's $17,000," said Rivait.

"It's a cost that flows to the consumer."

Rivait said the fire-resistant membrane is being applied to new homes under construction, as stipulated by the building code.

"I suppose you could build a home out of cement and everybody would be really safe."

----------------

What an asshole.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 2:02 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Yeah, that's a pretty jerk-ass comment. While he has a point, tough shit. Seatbelts cost money to the consumer. Everything costs money.

I'd like to see some stats on these 6 fires vs. overall residential fires in Calgary. There sure seem to be a lot of planter fires in recent years.

Oh, and construction folks correct me if I'm wrong - no one uses particle board in housing. OSB != particle board.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 2:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Yeah, that's a pretty jerk-ass comment. While he has a point, tough shit. Seatbelts cost money to the consumer. Everything costs money.
If regulations would stipulate wider lots with more space between houses, that would be a real killer for condos and row houses.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 2:23 PM
cow orker

Quote:

I'd like to see some stats on these 6 fires vs. overall residential fires in Calgary. There sure seem to be a lot of planter fires in recent years.

Oh, and construction folks correct me if I'm wrong - no one uses particle board in housing. OSB != particle board.
And while correcting the smug prick, building a house out of CEMENT wouldn't be "really safe". You need aggregate to give cement paste strength. I suppose he'd also leave out the rebar, rather than pass that cost onto the consumer.

Amazing they could have such a dumbass in a position that requires public comment.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 5:13 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburb View Post
If regulations would stipulate wider lots with more space between houses, that would be a real killer for condos and row houses.
Space isn't really the issue. I know of plenty of older neighbourhoods with this kind of separation. Often even less. People used to shake their neighbours hands through the window.

The issue is coating the sides of our houses with plastic. In most recent fires, houses ACROSS THE STREET suffered damage, and in some cases have lit on fire. An these are wide suburban streets. No separation (other than maybe acreages) is enough to overcome the stupidity of plastic exteriors.

Kids pyjamas aren't allowed to be flammable plastic for a reason (but they used to be). Why we continue to allow this on our houses is mystifying. And why we actively discourage people from using something safer ... I was flabbergasted when told that no, I was not allowed to use anything fire-retardant on my house. No stucco, no fire-proof siding. I HAD to choose the least safe building material. This is just plain criminal. *Allowing* people to use unsafe materials is one thing - but actively denying someone from improving safety? Mind-boggling. Hence, Calgary continues to have multiple dwelling fires. Someone will have to be killed before things change substantially.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 6:36 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:

Yup, OSB is not particle board.

Cement is not concrete.

Building a house out of cement (if it were even possible) would increase the average person's moisturizing lotion budget by about a million percent.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 8:40 PM
Here and There

Quote:
That is ridiculous. We cannot sprawl any more than we already are. If we chose to make the houses further apart, then the subsidy for sprawl that the consumer pays will also go up.

My mortgage and tax bill remind me why I live in a condo rather than a house.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
That is ridiculous. We cannot sprawl any more than we already are. If we chose to make the houses further apart, then the subsidy for sprawl that the consumer pays will also go up.

Unless we keep the lots the same size, and just make the houses smaller.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 10:34 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
Unless we keep the lots the same size, and just make the houses smaller.
Like that will happen......but i admire your thinking. The houses would steel need fire-proofing on the exterior walls regardless

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 1:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 1:15 AM
BANNED

How many times have we seen this happen? 10, 20, even 100 families out on the street in one shot.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Like that will happen......but i admire your thinking. The houses would steel need fire-proofing on the exterior walls regardless
Yeah, I am not holding out hope for that scenario either.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 2:11 PM

Quote:
How many times have we seen this happen? 10, 20, even 100 families out on the street in one shot.
Except this thread (and these fire code revisions) has nothing to do with multifamily dwellings.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 2:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
Except this thread (and these fire code revisions) has nothing to do with multifamily dwellings.
The thread is called "Calgary Fire Code Revisions" and does not stipulate that it does not or cannot include multifamily dwellings in the discussion.

Certainly the prior strawman discussions regarding sprawl and mortgages was a far worse offender.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 3:30 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
Originally, no - but I think it's a fair inclusion. Calgary's fire code is clearly inadequate for multifamily just as much as single.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues