HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 8:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
In general I like the look of the project, but think the rust is a poor choice for a war memorial. When I think of rust, I think of neglect and disrepair. Of something forgotten.
To me this is the exact reason why I think the rusted look is a good choice for the memorial... For most people, the major wars that this project is memorializing are either a distant memory or something they read about in school... The way we look at the most of our veterans, who have now reached an age where they are elderly and frail, matches the way we look at a run down building or a rusted out boat... we can recognize that at one time, this was something important, something of significance but it is something from before our time, something that no longer impacts our lives in a meaningful way... Gleaming marble or shiney metal may glorify our military past, but these rusted objects with words of such importance etched into them perfectly sums up how the majority of Calgarians identify with the wars of our past. Lest we forget....

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outoftheice View Post
To me this is the exact reason why I think the rusted look is a good choice for the memorial... For most people, the major wars that this project is memorializing are either a distant memory or something they read about in school... The way we look at the most of our veterans, who have now reached an age where they are elderly and frail, matches the way we look at a run down building or a rusted out boat... we can recognize that at one time, this was something important, something of significance but it is something from before our time, something that no longer impacts our lives in a meaningful way... Gleaming marble or shiney metal may glorify our military past, but these rusted objects with words of such importance etched into them perfectly sums up how the majority of Calgarians identify with the wars of our past. Lest we forget....
Not sure if you've noticed but Canada has just produced a huge fresh crop of veterans that aren't old and frail.

I understand what you're getting at, but I still think rust is a poor choice of materials for a memorial..

BTW, there's another piece just off Memorial that is a combination of rust and shiny marble. It looks like something out of Chernobyl.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
I think this is something that bugged me unconsciously, thanks for articulating it. I had a vague thought of "looks like it came from Pittsburgh" in my head but no idea where it originated.

Out of context. That's exactly where my thoughts are on this. I don't have an issue per se, but it just doesn't "fit". Then again, art is more fun when it's a bit jarring...
the scale of the corten reminds me of Richard Sera's work...

stainless or alum is a nice thought, though it would have probably tripled the cost for the steel...

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 2:45 PM

If the complaint is that calgary has no industrial past, then what is the context of stainless steel or aluminum? I dont think the rust is an omage to past industry, if anything it may be a symbol of rusted out tanks and other war material left behind. The rust color I think will look good against snow and ice in the winter, but we need some pics as the renderings are all Im going off of now.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 3:48 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

I think this may be a case where the two sides will just have to agree to disagree.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 4:07 PM
Here and There

Marc Boutain won awards for it. Clearly it is a good plaza, rusty elements or not. Its not like the whole plaza is made of rusty iron either.......The choice of finishes all relate very well to each other. If you want to comment on something, comment on the fact that the designer wants to use grass-pavers along the new pathway which are never a good choice for Calgary.

All things aside, the plaza as a whole is an amazing addition to the riverfront and Kensington / Memorial.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 4:17 PM

I like it, but that's just me.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 4:57 PM

well, looking at the renderings on the site, it looks like 4 more major elements are to be added - the cantilever over the river, the enormous letters spelling Memorial, the benches/decking and whatever they are showing flanking the ten street bridge...

so a lot left to see and critique.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Marc Boutain won awards for it. Clearly it is a good plaza, rusty elements or not. Its not like the whole plaza is made of rusty iron either.......The choice of finishes all relate very well to each other. If you want to comment on something, comment on the fact that the designer wants to use grass-pavers along the new pathway which are never a good choice for Calgary.

All things aside, the plaza as a whole is an amazing addition to the riverfront and Kensington / Memorial.

Can you elaborate on the awards? Is it an award from the Rusty Iron Producers of Southern Alberta aka RIPS? Wouldn't the project have to be completed to qualify for an award?

As I mentioned before I like the looks of it, I just find the rust an odd choice of materials for a memorial. It's would be fitting it if it was honouring the Peace Bridge or other poorly executed city projects but not so great for our war dead.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 5:07 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
It would be fitting it if it was honouring the Peace Bridge or other poorly executed city projects but not so great for our war dead.

+1 like.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 5:17 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Can you elaborate on the awards? Is it an award from the Rusty Iron Producers of Southern Alberta aka RIPS? Wouldn't the project have to be completed to qualify for an award?

As I mentioned before I like the looks of it, I just find the rust an odd choice of materials for a memorial. It's would be fitting it if it was honouring the Peace Bridge or other poorly executed city projects but not so great for our war dead.

Go to page one grumpy.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Go to page one grumpy.
Grumpy? So I don't agree with you so you call me names? That's very mature of you. Needless to say your assessment of me is on par with the rest of your opinions on this board.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 5:45 PM
Fake News

I'm waiting for the day you two actually meet and sparks fly. Interpret that as you will.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 5:47 PM
Fake News

I'm looking forward to this thing's completion. From memorial Dr. it doesn't look very far along, as the landscaping's still all ripped up. But based on these photos it appears otherwise.

I like the rusty metal.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
the scale of the corten reminds me of Richard Sera's work...

stainless or alum is a nice thought, though it would have probably tripled the cost for the steel...
It would have been expensive. Have you ever seen the pedestration overpass over John Laurie Blvd to Nose Hill Park by Brisebois Dr? It has a public art component of images etched into stainless steel. This type of material would have looked great had high durability.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 8:35 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Grumpy? So I don't agree with you so you call me names? That's very mature of you. Needless to say your assessment of me is on par with the rest of your opinions on this board.
No, you just sound grumpy. Just like you think I sould retarded, bi-polar, etc, etc, etc.....or wait, its not just you that thinks that......its most of the people on this forum apparently. I promise, im not retarded, but I do have my grummpy and regular days which could easily be mistaken as bi-polar I guess.....

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post

I'm waiting for the day you two actually meet and sparks fly. Interpret that as you will.
I was going to say that I'm more of lover than a fighter, but I think that would be the wrong choice of words. I think we can agree to disagree, without resorting to violence.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 8:57 PM

Quote:
No, you just sound grumpy. Just like you think I sould retarded, bi-polar, etc, etc, etc.....or wait, its not just you that thinks that......its most of the people on this forum apparently. I promise, im not retarded, but I do have my grummpy and regular days which could easily be mistaken as bi-polar I guess.....
I'll try to use more emoticons then. I don't recall calling you retarded, at least not out loud. Mind you, the above quoted post isn't helping your cause. Nor do I recall saying you were bi-polar. I think I referred to you as manic. Feel free to call my sarcastic as I am that.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 9:02 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Will those that don't like the rust-brown start calling this "poopy plaza"?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 9:08 PM

The Marc Boutain website is hands down the stupidest website for an architectual firm i have ever seen. What a pain in the ass to navigate.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues