HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 9:00 AM
the goggles do nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
Haha, yes I do. Even though I'm around the same age and don't consider myself "younger" I make a nice double standard for tenants.

Young couples are the jackpot. No parties, and at least one of them usually has an interest in keeping the place up.
So that is why a buddy of mine has kept delaying his house warming party. I guess the stories of the last house warming party I attended (cops called 3 times) didn't jive with him.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2010, 6:45 PM
effete latte-lifter

I already posted this in the water cooler thread, but frink pointed me here:

That was written by the lunatic who lives across the street from me. Keep in mind, this is a woman who will call parking enforcement on cars she doesn't recognize that are legally parked on the street in the evening (my street has a 2 hour limit between 8 and 5 or permit required.) Yes, if you come visit me or my neighbours she may try to have you towed. I was having a small backyard bbq this summer, as was my neighbour. She came into his yard demanding to know who's car was parked in front of his house.

Anyway, there's a little more context on the author.

As for my thoughts... Of course it's beyond ludicrous to assume that allowing secondary suites is going to mean the city gestapo is going to forceably install one in your basement after they tear down your garage and replace it with a shanty. Come on. I support allowing secondary suites as well as carriage house type residences in all Calgary neighbourhoods. We're only a couple hundred feet from the core here, and directly connected to a transit line, it makes a lot of sense.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2010, 8:51 PM
Hare Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhit View Post
I already posted this in the water cooler thread, but frink pointed me here:

That was written by the lunatic who lives across the street from me. Keep in mind, this is a woman who will call parking enforcement on cars she doesn't recognize that are legally parked on the street in the evening (my street has a 2 hour limit between 8 and 5 or permit required.) Yes, if you come visit me or my neighbours she may try to have you towed. I was having a small backyard bbq this summer, as was my neighbour. She came into his yard demanding to know who's car was parked in front of his house.

Anyway, there's a little more context on the author.

As for my thoughts... Of course it's beyond ludicrous to assume that allowing secondary suites is going to mean the city gestapo is going to forceably install one in your basement after they tear down your garage and replace it with a shanty. Come on. I support allowing secondary suites as well as carriage house type residences in all Calgary neighbourhoods. We're only a couple hundred feet from the core here, and directly connected to a transit line, it makes a lot of sense.
I think I know where our next SSP meeting is.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 5:26 AM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
This topic comes up periodically on this forum and in Calgary municipal politics and media. Looks like it may rear its head again, so I figured this may be a good opportunity to start up a new thread.

There's an information session upcoming for Hillhurst/Sunnyside as part of the TOD Planning and ARP amendment process:

Link

So what are your thoughts on secondary suites, either in the context of Hillhurst/Sunnyside or Calgary in general?
frink, I am a little confused by whether or not you're a HH/SS resident or not? The way you worded it in the other thread "as a resident of Sunnyside" I wasn't sure if you were referring to me or to yourself.

I received a counter to the above scanned letter today from a different neighbour in my mailbox that was rational, reasoned and only used 1 font size. Did this happen to be you?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 9:21 AM

Nevermind.

Last edited by frinkprof; May 22, 2010 at 2:35 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 11:57 AM

Nevermind.

Last edited by frinkprof; May 22, 2010 at 2:36 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhit View Post
I received a counter to the above scanned letter today from a different neighbour in my mailbox that was rational, reasoned and only used 1 font size.
Would you be willing to share this other letter with us as well?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 7:52 PM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
Would you be willing to share this other letter with us as well?
Yeah, I'll get around to it later, it's not all that interesting.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 11:00 PM

^ No rush, just wanting to see the counter argument in the debate.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 2:32 AM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
^ No rush, just wanting to see the counter argument in the debate.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 3:56 PM

Nevermind.

Last edited by frinkprof; May 22, 2010 at 2:36 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 3:51 AM

Thanks Jeff.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 7:47 PM

Jeff, we must be neighbours; you're across the street from the letter-writer, and I'm across the back alley (and down a few doors) from them.

Anyway, I agree with your thoughts. I love living in a lower density inner-city neighbourhood, but I also realize that one can't complain against sprawl and yet refuse change in one's own neighbourhood; a little bit of added density won't hurt Sunnyside at all.

Edit: as far as I can tell, the sort of structures she's protesting against are ones like this one over on 6th; personally, I think they can be quite nice and can keep within Sunnyside's character:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...,86.26,,0,1.84

Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 7:58 PM

any word how the Hillhurst/Sunnyside meeting went?

here is a example from my hometown of increasing density without destroying the neighbourhood:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&sou...225.97,,1,1.44

Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 8:00 PM
City Maker

She's opposed to those? Towering monstrosities eh?

Anyway, I like this comment I found one the Herald's site:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweep away those generalizations
I am a widow living by myself in a half-duplex, and am often out of town for work. I have a renter downstairs who is a wonderful single woman, also older, who works in a field our society happens to grossly undervalue: a day care & after school program in our neighbourhood. My transit-using renter loves the garden, appreciates the large suite with bedrooms for her grandchildren to visit, and is an inspiration to me in terms of being a good citizen very active in the volunteer sector, and who trades gardening tips with our neighbours.

I find it baffling that this arrangement which suits us - where we each have our own kitchen and own space - is considered something that should be illegal. Two ladies quietly preparing toast in their own kitchens and their own 1000 square foot, 3 bedrom apartments? What does the city say? Send out the bylaw officers and shut this down immediately to stop this! All single people should be forced to live in apartment buildings and only permitted to enjoy gardens if they are in the stage of life and inclination to have nuclear families. All widows who prefer to provide affordable housing to others and can't afford to keep their homes on their own should be forced to sell immediately to families of the correct size and composition.

Oh, and she doesn't drive, I'm usually out of town, so at most there is one car associated with our home, parked neatly in the double garage.

We're really destroying the neighbourhood, I know. Keeps me up at night, the guilt.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Jan 31, 2010, 5:11 AM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
Jeff, we must be neighbours; you're across the street from the letter-writer, and I'm across the back alley (and down a few doors) from them.

Anyway, I agree with your thoughts. I love living in a lower density inner-city neighbourhood, but I also realize that one can't complain against sprawl and yet refuse change in one's own neighbourhood; a little bit of added density won't hurt Sunnyside at all.

Edit: as far as I can tell, the sort of structures she's protesting against are ones like this one over on 6th; personally, I think they can be quite nice and can keep within Sunnyside's character:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...,86.26,,0,1.84
To be honest, she's against pretty much anything. I also like that little garage unit, so yes, sounds like we're just separated by one street, with a lunatic guarding the way. You maybe have seen me wheeling a giagantic instrument down 2nd ave.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 2:26 AM

Nevermind.

Last edited by frinkprof; May 22, 2010 at 2:37 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 2:39 AM

Nevermind.

Old Posted May 8, 2010, 1:47 AM

Nevermind.

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 5:29 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Secondary thoughts, Part 1
By Jason Markusoff Wed, May 12 2010

An annex of sorts to our latest story about Calgary secondary suite policy...

Grants conditionally approved for new secondary suites in incentive program's first year: 63

Target for annual suite creation for Calgary's 10-year plan to end homelessness : 200

Number of development applications for secondary suites (or suite-like basement "duplexes") since introduction of new land-use bylaw, June 1998 2008: 72

Develpment permits granted for suites or duplexes since then: 46

Number of techinically illegal suites requested or ordered to shut down by city inspectors last year: 336

% of Calgarians who strongly or somewhat support new secondary suites with regulation: 84*

% who support making existing suites legal: 85*

% who support suites in their own neighbourhoods: 76*

* = Mustel Group poll for City of Calgary. 501 respondents. Results considered accurate within 4.4 percentage points, 19 times out of 20

Source: City of Calgary
So... The city's plan to end homelessness is to shut down 6 times as many suites as they approve new ones?

Makes sense to me.

46 DPs issued in two years, shutting down 300 some per year.

Make them legal, then people will get permits and build them properly! At least a much higher percentage of them.

When we were looking at homes to buy a few years ago, there was some real garbage the people were calling a basement suite.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues