Great shot!

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 6:39 PM
Look at me!

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 6:40 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Beautiful shots, Rico!

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 6:45 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Beautiful images. Those (hills?) are really cool to see as a backdrop to the skyline.
I think DSC01036 may be my favourite of the set, it almost reminds me of LA in a way where the most notable core buildings are clustered with a bit of a step-back happening in a radial manner. It's a poor reference to another city that couldn't be more different from Montreal, but perhaps theres some loose merit in it.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 3:08 AM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC View Post
Beautiful, and also a reminder of the summer fires!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 2:41 PM
I am the law!

Beautiful indeed however, it's one in which you want to remove that blob of human intervention. IMHO, it's a horrible skyline shot.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 5:35 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Halifax seen from Dartmouth

Source

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 5:37 PM
Community Guy

Victoria-esque.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 6:02 PM
Volatile Pacivist

^ While the two aren't similar, if they were Victoria would be Halifax-esque rather than vice-versa considering it's the older and larger of the two

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 6:07 PM
Community Guy

Both harbour/water cities with small-ish skylines, character places and significant tourist draws... I'd say very similar.

When I looked at that, I thought far more Victoria than Halifax and so I stand by my comment.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 6:16 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Both harbour/water cities with small-ish skylines, character places and significant tourist draws... I'd say very similar.

When I looked at that, I thought far more Victoria than Halifax and so I stand by my comment.
Halifax does not have a smallish skyline for its population, and the other traits are the most basic of details that countless cities share. Although I realize when people make these silly type of superficial comparisons they generally know it annoys people and are just trying to provoke. So I shouldn't take the bait.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 6:23 PM
be nice to the crackheads

How is saying that 'Halifax looks like Victoria from that angle' provocative? The two cities look nothing alike, but I can definitely see where Coldrsx was coming from with his comparison.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 6:34 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
How is saying that 'Halifax looks like Victoria from that angle' provocative? The two cities look nothing alike, but I can definitely see where Coldrsx was coming from with his comparison.
It's provocative because there's been a lot of discussion on the topic on here over the years and people from Halifax including Someone123 and me have explained why it doesn't make sense numerous times. And while I can't speak for anyone else, I think I've made it clear how annoying I find it. So it's hard to believe that a person who's been here long enough to know all that would make a comment that says nothing about the image other than an irritating reference to another city would be intended to do anything other than irritate.

Plus, the convention for saying that one thing resembles another has long been that the original, larger, or otherwise more prominent of the two does is not the one that "resembles" the smaller, newer or less prominent. So saying "Well I thought of the smaller/newer thing when looking at the larger/older one" just tends to mean one is more familiar with the smaller/newer one. But that's a characteristic of the person making the comparison rather than of the things being compared. So it's irrelevant.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 6:46 PM
Community Guy

There is no provocation involved, simply a comparison.

This is not the angle I wanted, but you can see where I draw comparisons from.

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...view=imagelist

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 7:05 PM
Volatile Pacivist

^ That definitely helps to illustrate how different the cities are. The Victoria picture above was taken less than 1/2 km from the harbour from within the official limits of downtown, while the Halifax image was taken from nearly 5km from downtown and nearly 3km from the closest part of the harbour (which is barely visible in the photo). A picture taken that distance from downtown Halifax would look completely different.

But I accept that the annoyance was unintentional.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 8:00 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
That fleshy-toned house in the foreground is a wee bit creepy.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Plus, the convention for saying that one thing resembles another has long been that the original, larger, or otherwise more prominent of the two does is not the one that "resembles" the smaller, newer or less prominent. So saying "Well I thought of the smaller/newer thing when looking at the larger/older one" just tends to mean one is more familiar with the smaller/newer one. But that's a characteristic of the person making the comparison rather than of the things being compared. So it's irrelevant.
At the risk of being annoying, but is Halifax larger than Victoria?

The Capital Region (Victoria) has a population of 415 451 over an area of 2340 sq km's. Halifax Regional Municipality has a population of 439,819 over an area of 5,475.57 sq km's. That's a larger population, but in an area that is over twice the size of the Capital Region. If you were to expand the Capital Region to the same area as Halifax Municipality, you would be taking in Nanaimo, which is 115 000 people, and the areas in between - about 600 000 people.

For urban area, Victoria - 397 237/215.88 sq km's. Halifax - 348 634/238.29 sq km's.

An good case could be made for Victoria actually being the bigger city. (Sorry. I get caught up on numbers too much probly).

Last edited by logan5; Nov 5, 2023 at 8:34 PM.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
It's provocative because there's been a lot of discussion on the topic on here over the years and people from Halifax including Someone123 and me have explained why it doesn't make sense numerous times. And while I can't speak for anyone else, I think I've made it clear how annoying I find it. So it's hard to believe that a person who's been here long enough to know all that would make a comment that says nothing about the image other than an irritating reference to another city would be intended to do anything other than irritate.

Go touch grass.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada