HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Should Portage and Main be open for pedestrian traffic?
Yes 113 92.62%
No 9 7.38%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 6:02 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaggin View Post
Believe me if I was healthy enough to leave, I'd be as far from this shithole as possible. I'd let you burn the whole thing down. But unfortunately I'm stuck here. So I got interest in it. That means speaking against the underachieving scumbags running this place into the ground.
Whatever shit you're going through, direct it at the people who wronged you. Don't lump the whole city to such negativity because of the few people who are in power.

Direct your words to them, not us.

I hope you find happiness sooner than later.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 6:04 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

On a side note, is it still too early to know that Portage Ave. E will be closed and/or converted to a transit station? I know it's in another thread with the Transit Master Plan but is that leaning towards a closure or at least some sort of restriction?

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
On a side note, is it still too early to know that Portage Ave. E will be closed and/or converted to a transit station? I know it's in another thread with the Transit Master Plan but is that leaning towards a closure or at least some sort of restriction?
I believe the only restriction will be no right turn from NB Main to EB Portage.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Whatever shit you're going through, direct it at the people who wronged you. Don't lump the whole city to such negativity because of the few people who are in power.

Direct your words to them, not us.

I hope you find happiness sooner than later.
A quote attributed to Buddha that I find useful (and you don't have to be a Buddhist to appreciate it): "Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die".

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 12:54 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Uncovering the intersection in phases and filling the circus with compacted crushed rock is the best idea for P&M ever. Best, cheapest, smartest. There are enough routes around P&M opening to ped traffic that the extra congestion won't matter. Fixing the membrane for the 300 or so people that use the circus daily would be moronic.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 4:01 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

shut it down is dumb both is better we need a balance

the economic disconection from the underground/ skywalk system is a deathnail to the importance of the intersection a balance of surface and underground access is key sigh

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
You know what? You are no different than the person you are replying to in this comment. People like you can take a long walk of a short pier. Don't like it? GTFO and stay STFO. I love this city. No city is perfect and we punch high above out weight in many areas. I'm sick of people like you and Oddballs trolling threads bashing the city and citizens. I will always stand up for my city against people such as yourself; you can count on it.

Now with all that said, have a nice day
Wow, that's quite the reply to someone's comments about elevated pedways being ugly. Calgary, Edmonton, and Halifax have elevated pedways too and they are just as ugly as those in Winnipeg.

Here's an example of one in Halifax:
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6505...8192?entry=ttu

At least, try to make an elevated pedway look different. This one is in Pickering, ON; crossing the 401 from the Pickering GO Station to the Pickering Town Centre:
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6476...8192?entry=ttu

Last edited by Ozabald; Mar 11, 2024 at 4:13 AM. Reason: More information

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post
Wow, that's quite the reply to someone's comments about elevated pedways being ugly.
I probably shouldn't try to speak for Justanothermember, but I think their comment was a response to that person's unfocused rage and bile against everything in the city, rather than a response to an opinion about skywalks.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 7:45 PM

When you build something, you expect to maintain it. The City surely built this knowing one day it'll need to be maintained. It's just not easy to maintain in this case.

I'd be curious to know what type of system was used, vs what type of new system would be installed. Just spraying on rubber is not the final answer.

Either way, they City needs to repair it and get the land owners to pay for it. Then put the fancy streetscape at grade and let people walk across the street. Easy peasey.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 1:18 PM
What could go wrong?

How do you get the landowners to pay for it? The Richardson's would be the only original owner. I can't see the MMF or Harvard having any real need for having the underground connections. They don't have the below grade services that The Richardson's or Winnipeg Square has. Even so, I would still tell the City to do what you want as they were not part of the original agreement.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 2:20 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

ur better to ask then asume though

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
How do you get the landowners to pay for it? The Richardson's would be the only original owner. I can't see the MMF or Harvard having any real need for having the underground connections. They don't have the below grade services that The Richardson's or Winnipeg Square has. Even so, I would still tell the City to do what you want as they were not part of the original agreement.
Ask them. The City is/will be doing that according to the council text. Pony up or we close it down. It actually seems reasonable as the whole thing is set-up to direct people into those buildings.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Total nonsense. The Downtown skywalks are amazing. Both in functionality, and symbolism. It's about the only thing this shithole city can pride itself on. Flaunt them, expand them. They're exceptional.
This is such a goofy opinion but also very representative of the bizarre perceptions Winnipeggers have of their city and the weird things they choose to focus on.

This city has the Forks, the WAG, the CMHR, Assiniboine Park, the Exchange district, great sports teams, great entertainment venues, a remarkable tree canopy, the WSO and RWB.... and you think our biggest pride is a few drab pedestrian walkways?

It's like a large portion of the population here actually makes a conscious effort to ignore every good thing about the city and focus on the stupidest little insecurities instead. Completely misses the mark on what actually matters.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
This is such a goofy opinion but also very representative of the bizarre perceptions Winnipeggers have of their city and the weird things they choose to focus on.

This city has the Forks, the WAG, the CMHR, Assiniboine Park, the Exchange district, great sports teams, great entertainment venues, a remarkable tree canopy, the WSO and RWB.... and you think our biggest pride is a few drab pedestrian walkways?

It's like a large portion of the population here actually makes a conscious effort to ignore every good thing about the city and focus on the stupidest little insecurities instead. Completely misses the mark on what actually matters.
I truly think it's a holdover from the 70s and 80s when Winnipeg was down for a long count. Terrible economy, globalization and being jumped by Calgary and Vancouver in terms of national prominence did a number on the psyche of a lot of people who then taught that to their kids. That's my wild theory and I'm sticking to it. On the other hand, it also gave birth but that rough and tumble with heart character that Winnipeg is known for now and that attitude makes me love Winnipeggers despite half of them being dumbasses haha. Some good with the bad I suppose.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 5:32 PM

Quote:

I couldn't agree more.

The psychology of consistently negative people is interesting, if frustrating. Here's an article that covers a lot of territory, some of which probably explains our Winnipeg-hating friend here:

https://embolden.world/the-psycholog...gative-people/

That being said, I think it's important to counter the negativity that some people try to recruit others into adopting about our city. Like you've said there's plenty of positive here. A person can still recognize the city's troubles without inflating them into world-ending disasters.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 9:00 PM

Quote:
This is such a goofy opinion. This city has the Forks, the WAG, the CMHR, Assiniboine Park, the Exchange district, great sports teams, great entertainment venues, a remarkable tree canopy, the WSO and RWB.... and you think our biggest pride is a few drab pedestrian walkways?
The Forks and the woke-mind 'museum' don't matter. Efficient transportation networks do. Skywalks enable that. Winnipeg's transport is 40yrs behind.... Sportsball? Really? Keep whistling by the graveyard.

This city has low T. Anger is a good thing. It upsets the apple cart and sets it on the right course. Too many snowflakes in this city allow mediocrity to pervade. This city neglects to budget infrastructure deficits or account their useful life. It can't even budget snow removal! People should be fired up throwing tomatoes at city hall.

But nope, here's your Blue Bombers you good little domesticated animals.

Give them bread and circuses and they'll never revolt.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I probably shouldn't try to speak for Justanothermember, but I think their comment was a response to that person's unfocused rage and bile against everything in the city, rather than a response to an opinion about skywalks.
This.

I'm all for constructive criticism, but there are a few looney tune resident trolls on here looking to bash the city and citizens as if it's means to their existence. I'll bet they blame their pathetic outcome in life and alleged health issues on the city and us too. Coming on internet forums crying like petulant children who don't get what they want instead of making a tangible difference to fix the things they feel are wrong. Sad little troll dolls. It's best not to feed these creatures and let them starve on their own negativity.

Last edited by Justanothermember; Mar 14, 2024 at 8:10 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 9:19 PM

Quote:
The Forks and the woke-mind 'museum' don't matter. Efficient transportation networks do. Skywalks enable that. Winnipeg's transport is 40yrs behind.... Sportsball? Really? Keep whistling by the graveyard.

This city has low T. Anger is a good thing. It upsets the apple cart and sets it on the right course. Too many snowflakes in this city allow mediocrity to pervade. This city neglects to budget infrastructure deficits or account their useful life. It can't even budget snow removal! People should be fired up throwing tomatoes at city hall.

But nope, here's your Blue Bombers you good little domesticated animals.

Give them bread and circuses and they'll never revolt.

Sir this is a Wendy’s.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Sir this is a Wendy’s.
Expecting the city to estimate its infrastructure deficit is not a Wendy's. Its the root cause of every one of these failing "surprise" expenses.

And these "surprise expenses" will only get worse until the useful life of infrastructure projects is put on the books.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 9:41 PM

Hey I’m pro-above grade ped infrastructure you don’t have to convince me

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan