HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
megadude................I don't think Google streetview is allowed because the roads are not public and more just like wide sidewalks and the homes not freehold.

When you buy a house on the Islands you are not actually buying it but leasing it although possibly for life. It's kind of like Googling for a townhouse, the complex may be massive but as soon as you enter the boundaries of the complex, Google stops as it is considered private property and the Islands are akin to that.
It's quite possible. But I do wonder why the 2011 version is up still. Those certainly are basically sidewalks or pathways in a sense, but have street names. Still could be private though.

Would be no problem for google to affix a 360 camera on an e-bike and cover it in like 10 minutes, but that rider would be getting cut eye the whole time from anyone standing outside.

As cool and novel as it is to live there, I wouldn't invest any money into that like I wouldn't in the Florida Keys. Several years ago when Lake O was high, lots of that land flooded. I remember seeing pics of carp swimming on the baseball diamond.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 1:18 AM

Couple weeks ago I posted about Halton Safety Village. I was just looking up Playdium arcade in Brampton and then saw Peel Safety Village nearby. They did not have this when I grew up in Brampton. And I never had a Power Wheels. Looks like they grow on trees there. They are all over the place now. I got the same two seater jeep for my kids and they each have a quad.

https://www.facebook.com/PRPVillage/

https://www.facebook.com/PRPVillage/

https://whynotbrampton.weebly.com/ht...safety-village
https://jambstout4.files.wordpress.c...-010.jpg?w=584

where is the tab key on my toshiba laptop

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 1:23 AM

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 1:25 AM

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 1:34 AM

All four suburban regions surrounding Toronto have a safety village but not Toronto itself.

We heard that Hamilton used to have one. And I just googled Ontario safety villages and it turns out Belleville, Waterloo, Niagara, Windsor and Brant Co. all have one. Sarnia and the Soo were trying to build one. And I see Ottawa used to have one.

Okay, so the Niagara site actually lists the other villages in Canada:

Belleville
Brant
Chatham-Kent
Durham
Halton
Lambton
London
Nepean
Peel
Waterloo
Windsor
York
Red Deer Alberta
Grande Prairie & Area Safe Communities
Calgary Safety Council
Kelowna & District Safety Council

Ottawa - closed due to asbestos apparently:

https://imgur.com/FXXu0

Hamilton:

https://www.facebook.com/10007064349...7221856314912/

Turns out there's one in Nepean at a school for special needs:

Last edited by megadude; Feb 24, 2024 at 2:00 AM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 4:22 AM

Timmins needs to have a snowmobile one.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Timmins needs to have a snowmobile one.
Because there’s so many snowmobiles or because there’s too many bad snowmobile drivers?

By the way, do you see them on actual roads or the shoulders? I know some communities up there grappled with that — allowing them on shoulders.

I have never even seen one at all In action in my life. And I’ve only seen an ATV on a shoulder once. Was in Uxbridge.

I only know about the snowmobile issue because I would listen to the fishing show hosted by Angelo Viola on the Fan 590 while I would be driving to a fishing spot. He also talked outdoors sports in general and interviewed people from up north. Many he knew because he’d fish at remote lodges all the time, often only accessible by float plane.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 5:09 AM

Speaking of Timmins, some few eminent Canadians have a connection to it. Shania Twain is of course the most famous Timmins resident. But there was also the Nobel Prize-winning economist Myron Scholes. I recently learned that Frank Gehry spent his adolescent years in Timmins. There he said he discovered two things: a love of hockey and anti-Semitism.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 2:09 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidivivid View Post
Saint-André-de-Kamouraska, founded in 1791.

Pic by Mélanie Jean

https://www.facebook.com/melaniejean...926304/?type=3
Lovely shot. It has been 40 years since I have visited there.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 11:56 PM

Couple days ago I mentioned power wheels, as shown in the pic above. And whaddya know, guy on the next street over put out three of them on the curb today. He happened to be outside and said two of them only need batteries. So I took them and will try putting the drill battery adapter kit in them like I did for my kids' power wheels. Hopefully they will work as clearly they've been sitting for a while.

The Toyota Tundra will be used for hauling stuff. The Bentley Continental will be used for cruising around town in style.

A few months ago someone on my street put out four new bike tires at the curb for some reason. And I bought the new fat bike tire for a dollar at a liquidation store. Was planning on cutting them and splaying them out on the plastic tires of the power wheels and screwing them in to provide traction for going up hill. And I already collected two kids bikes people put out with the idea of using those tires, which are pretty bald though. I must have seen about a dozen kids bikes put out at the curb or by the dumpster of an apartment building in the past six months. When the tires are bald or the tube doesn't hold air, the kids bikes are basically worthless. I think even if donated that it wouldn't be worth the cost of the recipient buying new tubes and/or tires. I don't think I recall seeing bikes at thrift stores.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada