HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I find it funny how much the right wing is demonizing Minneapolis as some sort of "new Detroit." Completely ignoring it's one of the whitest major cities in the country, it's highly integrated (as northern cities go) and it's been absolutely booming in terms of population growth.
Minneapolis had what some say is the 2nd worst riots in US history last year, so not exactly this utopia where everything is great and fine and dandy, supposedly so unlike "Detroit".

Detroit didn't have any riots this last year, at all. So really everybody on both sides should keep the city's name out of their mouths and keyboards and quit these false comparisons made at the expense of a place they know nothing about.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Don't get your panties in a wad, folks. This was definitely sarcasm, and also a correct jab at all the whiny Texans who have been moaning incorrectly with feverish drama about all the Californians moving here. Thing is, those eastward Californians are but a small slice of the people moving to Texas. Plates I see often here - Oklahoma, Colorado, Washington, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Alabama, Florida, Minnesota, Missouri, Illinois, Tennessee, Ohio, New York, North Carolina, Georgia, and yes, California.

I thought it was sarcasm but I couldn't remember if he was one of those Gung ho Texas posters over the years.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Minneapolis had what some say is the 2nd worst riots in US history last year, so not exactly this utopia where everything is great and fine and dandy, supposedly so unlike "Detroit".

Detroit didn't have any riots this last year, at all. So really everybody on both sides should keep the city's name out of their mouths and keyboards and quit these false comparisons made at the expense of a place they know nothing about.
I agree with you. Minneapolis is one of the whitest cities in the country and it's still having a ton of police abuse problems.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Minneapolis had what some say is the 2nd worst riots in US history last year
Who says that?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Who says that?
Someone who is totally unfamiliar with US history and doesn't know decades like the 1990s, 80s, 70s...etc happened.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
My wife and I last went to Chicago for XMas in 2019 and I don't how hard I had to try and convince my mom that where we stayed (N. Michigan Ave) was not Fallujah. She watches Fox and Fox lives in an alternate reality.
Oh Lordy! Didn't you tell your Mom that you don't get your drugs from the Southside of Chicago?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Who says that?
Probably alt-right and MAGA media.

The worst riots obviously being the 2020 Antifa/BLM obliteration of Portland.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 1:24 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
here in the rustbelt, we're just relieved whenever the national media aims its anti-city ire in any direction other than chicago/detroit/st. louis/cleveland/etc.

but it's always only a short reprieve.

they'll soon be back to kick the usual suspects while they're down.
lol, yes. add in east st. louis when they are feeling old school.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 1:24 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
Is anyone else excited for 1 million+ Honolulu MSA? Because we're definitely getting it with Hawaii's undercount of 48,000 (Oahu/Honolulu MSA is at 975,000 in the 2019 estimates).

Looks like Fresno and Tulsa will also cross the finish line.
I am! The Census estimates always seem to undercount Hawaii's population and in recent years were stating that there was a population decline which is obviously not true. Sure people are moving out as has been the case for decades but with natural growth + people moving in (e.g., international, domestic) it still grew at a decent rate of 7% or so, higher than many other states.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 2:00 PM
Posh

Good news. Hopefully it means there's less snow wimps in the US than originally thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 2:07 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
lol, yes. add in east st. louis when they are feeling old school.
Oh yeah, they love taking a good dump on their usual beta targets too: ESL, gary, flint, youngstown, etc.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 2:10 PM

ESL, Gary and Flint actually suck, though.

I mean, no doubt they're full of nice people and they've been totally screwed by the feds and everyone else, and they do have potential, but I think it's fair to say that these are objectively unattractive places to live right now.

To me, it isn't crazy when someone is saying East St. Louis sucks, it's when they're saying one of our great American urban centers suck. Like when people say that Portland is a riot zone or Chicago a shooting gallery. And SF is apparently the worst city on earth.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
And SF is apparently the worst city on earth.
Any time I hear complaints about SF it's either from someone whose world view is shaped by Fox News, or a tech bro that has no perspective about what it's like living in cities with actual problems.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 2:36 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
ESL, Gary and Flint actually suck, though.

I mean, no doubt they're full of nice people and they've been totally screwed by the feds and everyone else, and they do have potential, but I think it's fair to say that these are objectively unattractive places to live right now.

To me, it isn't crazy when someone is saying East St. Louis sucks, it's when they're saying one of our great American urban centers suck. Like when people say that Portland is a riot zone or Chicago a shooting gallery. And SF is apparently the worst city on earth.
I get what you're saying, but my original point was about how those of us in the rust belt won't be feeling too sorry for the negative media attention minneapolis and portland have garnered recently.

Our region has been the national media's whipping post for a couple generations now, and it gets old. So whenever they start picking on someone else it's kinda like "phew".

That said, it is nice to at least have a US president who isn't actively tweeting about how much of a shit-hole chicago is on a weekly basis.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 28, 2021 at 2:53 PM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 3:01 PM

Visual map of the Census from the Wash Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md...ation-results/

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Census Reveals A Concerning Amount Of Garys
April 27th, 2021 - BabylonBee.com

U.S.—The 2020 census results are in, and while many are focused on what that means for apportionment of seats in the House of Representatives, the news has been dominated by one alarming finding: There are far too many Garys.

“No one knows what to think,” says census spokeswoman Elanor Cohen. “We’re not sure what the optimal number of Garys is -- I don’t think we even really need one -- but there are thousands and thousands of Garys. It’s frightening.”

Scientists say the current number of Garys isn’t sustainable. It is unknown what causes someone to be named Gary, but with the current situation, anytime someone turns around he is likely to run into a Gary, who will then ask to borrow a power tool, tell you about his hardwood floors, or make a joking comment about the weather -- typical Gary behavior.

“We’re just living constantly on edge,” said sociologist Horace Clarke, “because of all the Garys. And you can’t get rid of them. You can say, ‘Go away, Gary! I’m busy!’ but it doesn’t work. Gary is always there.”

In better census news, Kevins are now down to a manageable level.

https://babylonbee.com/news/census-r...mount-of-garys

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Any time I hear complaints about SF it's either from someone whose world view is shaped by Fox News, or a tech bro that has no perspective about what it's like living in cities with actual problems.
I'm someone who lives there, thinks Fox News gets more things right than MSNBC, knows SF has a LOT of problems, and still would rather live here than anyplace else I can think of (and I've visited just about every other major city in the US--the other cities even in consideration are just a couple like NY, Chicago and New Orleans although small town living in New England and some places like it in Montana and areas of Appalachia attract). SF really does need its own Mayor Giuliani (not the later version, the early 9/11 version) to clean up the streets and the property crime and make the place as beautiful as it could be again. It's been taken over by anything-goes libs who have allowed garbage to accumulate in the streets (this was really noticeable when I came back after 5 months), small shops to be robbed blind by shoplifters and not just tents but water-soaked piles of rotting cast-off clothing to accumulate on sidewalks. Aside from that, it's Heaven of Eearth.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 5:38 PM
devout Pizzatarian

* posts deleted *

take that crap to the current events toilet.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 5:40 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
What about Garrys? I am also concerned about the potential future arrival of Garrrys.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
* posts deleted *

take that crap to the current events toilet.
Sorry--I don't go there. The stench is overwhelming.

But when it comes to the census, its principle significance is its political implications. Constitutionally, that's its whole purpose. The rest is just for Geeks. Oh, yeah . . . I didn't think for a minute.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions