HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
I thought diversity would be a dirty word, especially in Texas of all places....but you heard it here first folks! Texas is very diverse and everybody knows what that means.
I'll add if all these people are moving then their houses are for sale.

"Texas of all places"

https://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-houston-diversity-2017-htmlstory.html

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 8:17 PM
Resu Deretsiger

^You're reacting like Californians do to incorrect information about the state. Interesting...
Texas is diverse. Imagine that...but there are consequences now. Other states next to you are NOT going to like it.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
Are you assuming he/she/them is racist? What's the point of this?
Why are you bringing up pronouns rather than saying Xing or is this some type of weird flex?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 10:47 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

Urban Texas is diverse, yes. But I think Texas probably has a larger proportion of its population living outside the big 4 metro areas versus California. And then on top of that some percentage of the latino population has somewhat similar traits as white working class voters who went for Trump.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Are you assuming he/she/them is racist?

No. I'm assuming he/she/them doesn't know much about Texas and his/her/their choice of Austin as the only place in Texas he/she/they would live is ironic.

The thought that he/she/they might be racist did not even occur to me.

Quote:
Austin has a higher proportion of black and asian populations than SA.
If true, I would not be at all surprised. That is specifically one of my biggest (if not my biggest) complaints about San Antonio and one of the things I miss most about living in Houston.

Last edited by bilbao58; Oct 22, 2021 at 11:16 PM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 4:28 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Are the palms there damaged by the winter cold snaps ("blue northers")? Dallas gets too cold for palms in winter, correct? I don't recall seeing permanent outdoor palm plantings there. Galveston and south Texas sure.
Typically, it doesn't get cold enough long enough to really hurt them here, but the winter storm we had this past February was just different. We got down to at least 8F in our neighborhood one night and it was below freezing for about 70 hours and there was 8 inches of snow on the ground that took about 5 days to go away completely. Austin's airport was even colder, and actually bottomed out to 0F on February 18. That location saw its first freezing temperature with that storm on February 11 and did not get back above freezing until February 19. The coldest low was 0F at that location and the coldest high was 25F.

We lost a 25 foot tall 30 year old palm tree. I even wrapped it with a tarp as high as I could, but it was just too cold for too long. It froze and then a couple of months later the top 10 feet fell over on to our neighbor's house. It didn't cause any damage, but it took us about two hours to wrestle with it cutting it up and moving it off the roof. That was painful to have that happen as it had been a 40th birthday present for my dad in 1991, he planted it. My sister also lost both of hers that were about 12 years old. I saw a lot of them dead here and they've since been removed. Some also did die farther south as the cold air made its way all the way south of the border. I saw some that had been cut down in San Antonio this summer that no doubt had froze.

The odd thing is we have another palm tree out front of the same species, and our neighbor has two, and those are a full 30+ feet tall and are about 60 years old as they were planted when the neighborhood was built. The fronds on those three did freeze back, but they bounced back and looked good this year. I know it got cold up around the palm trees, too, because I found some fronds that had fallen off as the snow and ice started to melt and they had a ton of dead and dying yellowjackets within the crevices of the leaves. Palm trees are kind of an amazing little ecosystem. I've seen two different kinds of lizards in ours, yellowjackets, roaches, ladybugs, owls and woodpeckers.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
Urban Texas is diverse, yes. But I think Texas probably has a larger proportion of its population living outside the big 4 metro areas versus California. And then on top of that some percentage of the latino population has somewhat similar traits as white working class voters who went for Trump.
Huge urban-rural divide in the state. Many times over the decades I was told by other Texans that Houston isn't the "real" Texas, and that "those" people weren't "real Texans." And one doesn't even have to go very far from Houston to hear it. The people in areas just south of Houston like League City, Santa Fe, and Dickinson sometimes act as if they may as well be living in the deep woods of East Texas, they have so little to do with the city.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions