HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Not designing this isolated site as mixed-use is insane. Give me a cafe ffs.
Also, I plan on attending the CDR to make my voice heard. A nimby from within.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 5:13 PM

I too live in the neighborhood and may go to the meeting. I'd be ok saying "well I wouldn't want to live there, but to each their own." But these disconnected, isolated, car-oriented, residential-only style developments really have an affect on adjacent neighborhoods as well. For example that god-awful Acme on Girard is perfect for serving the car-oriented neighbors at the expense of the people who actually live near it. Have any of you ever experienced that grocery store as a pedestrian? Thanks for putting up with my mini rant.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by das18 View Post
I too live in the neighborhood and may go to the meeting. I'd be ok saying "well I wouldn't want to live there, but to each their own." But these disconnected, isolated, car-oriented, residential-only style developments really have an affect on adjacent neighborhoods as well. For example that god-awful Acme on Girard is perfect for serving the car-oriented neighbors at the expense of the people who actually live near it. Have any of you ever experienced that grocery store as a pedestrian? Thanks for putting up with my mini rant.
I agree! We are in a rare position for a-lot of north American cities. We are an extremely dense city by American standards and we need to act like it, parking lots are a waste of space, unfriendly to the pedestrian, and climate, and can be easily piled into a garage or underground space under the development itself. Obviosly if we wish to be a T.O.D city we need major investment in subways, trolleys, buses etc.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 12:33 PM

Just echoing a lot of the comments here - if we turn the riverside into a collection of auto-oriented, dense communities, then the entire Riverwards will be inundated with additional traffic, particularly the areas near Girard and Aramingo. The developers must build mixed use projects (grocery stores, pharmacies, restaurants) on the River if we want to grow without increasing congestion.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeGuy View Post
Just echoing a lot of the comments here - if we turn the riverside into a collection of auto-oriented, dense communities, then the entire Riverwards will be inundated with additional traffic, particularly the areas near Girard and Aramingo. The developers must build mixed use projects (grocery stores, pharmacies, restaurants) on the River if we want to grow without increasing congestion.
If ya'll want to see a change in the new downgrade, people need to pull out of their contracts. I understand that there's way more to it than that. You can't cancel real estate transactions like that, especially given the considerations people weigh to decide they want to own somewhere but you need to voice it.

As with everything, it's about money. If these developers figure out a way to make more money, they will do it. 10 out of 10 times. If they figure out that taking retail out of the plan will make them more money, they will do it. If they try, and then realize that it's going to cost them money, that is the only thing that will change course.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 12:09 AM
Chris

North Bank Project Progresses, Evolves, and Grows

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...lves-and-grows

Update on huge North Bank development. Meh...

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 7:43 PM

Downey’s Replacement Will Be a New Gateway at Front & South

Current site:

Rendering:

Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...at-front-south

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 7:45 PM

189 Apartments + 70 Townhomes + Commercial Planned in Port Richmond

Current site:

Aerial rendering:

Rendering of mixed-use building:

Rendering of townhomes:

Read/view more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/189-apa...port-richmond/

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 7:46 PM

16 Units + Retail Planned on Frankford Ave in Fishtown

Current site:

Rendering:

Read/view more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/16-unit...e-in-fishtown/

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 7:49 PM

Looking At The 114-Unit Development Proposed At 7619 Germantown Avenue In Mount Airy

Current site:

Rendering:

Aerial rendering:

Rendering:

Rendering:

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/10/look...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 7:55 PM

More development in Germantown - incredible!

Permits Issued For 50-Unit Residential Building At 139 West Chelten Avenue In Germantown

Current site:

Quote:
Permits have been issued for a five-story, 50-Unit residential building at 139 West Chelten Avenue in Germantown, Northwest Philadelphia. The development will be situated within a two- to three-block walking distance to two SEPTA Regional Rail stations, the Chelten Avenue Station to the southwest and the Germantown Station to the northeast. The ground-level retail space will contribute to the commercial corridor along which the building will be situated. The structure will span a 13,681-square-foot footprint and will feature 52,391 square feet of interior space, full sprinkling, and an unspecified number of parking spaces.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/10/perm...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 8:00 PM

Permits Issued For 47-Unit Building At 1131-39 North Front Street In Fishtown

Current site:

Location next to an under construction mixed-use building:

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/10/perm...liberties.html

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 12:13 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Hey Mcgrath do you have any idea what the plans are for those elevated tracks over by Lehigh ?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Hey Mcgrath do you have any idea what the plans are for those elevated tracks over by Lehigh ?
To which tracks do you refer? I’m not sure what you mean.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 2:25 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
The ones in this area

https://goo.gl/maps/wiqDuuqAkohszYPi6

To my understanding they aren't used anymore or are they?!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 12:23 PM

I’m not aware of a specific project, but some people in East Kensington have talked about making it a park or biking path and connecting it to Delaware Ave or the highline. Obviously, long term and just an idea.

I’d like to see it connected to highline and turned into the USs first bike interstate. Help get bikes off the streets and give them a way of cutting between center city and Kensington/Fishtown. But I’m sure others have great ideas too.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 1:47 PM

While it may not look like it, Norfolk Southern/Conrail still use those tracks. There’s a lot of unused space up there (as they are no longer running the port), they do still serve several customers in the Northeast, including that dock that imports fruit.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 3:34 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Now that makes sense, every time I'm in the area I can't recall seeing a train go by on them so I'm thinking they are abandoned.

On Another note I noticed that NJ Transit still uses diesel locomotives. pretty cool seeing them go by.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Now that makes sense, every time I'm in the area I can't recall seeing a train go by on them so I'm thinking they are abandoned.

On Another note I noticed that NJ Transit still uses diesel locomotives. pretty cool seeing them go by.
Yes, NJT still uses GP40PHs, mainly on the Atlantic City Line and the non-electrified North Jersey lines.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 5:38 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The ones in this area

https://goo.gl/maps/wiqDuuqAkohszYPi6

To my understanding they aren't used anymore or are they?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
I’m not aware of a specific project, but some people in East Kensington have talked about making it a park or biking path and connecting it to Delaware Ave or the highline. Obviously, long term and just an idea.

I’d like to see it connected to highline and turned into the USs first bike interstate. Help get bikes off the streets and give them a way of cutting between center city and Kensington/Fishtown. But I’m sure others have great ideas too.
Quote:
While it may not look like it, Norfolk Southern/Conrail still use those tracks. There’s a lot of unused space up there (as they are no longer running the port), they do still serve several customers in the Northeast, including that dock that imports fruit.
Yeah, look in atlas. In the 2020 aerial view I'm seeing strings of freight cars on the tracks just south of there.

https://atlas.phila.gov/FRANKFORD%20...20AVE/property

Last edited by Jayfar; Oct 24, 2021 at 8:42 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development