HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
This city sucks so much.

I am really beginning to hate Winnipeg and I live in the inner city in a 110 year old house.

Seriously, fuck this place.

It sucks!
Okay since everyone else is picking this apart.

It’s this part for me.

The choice of area and style / age of home are so far from the best that Winnipeg has to offer. Heck it’s even far from the average.

Overall it seems some different choices may make for a much better quality of life.

This reminds me of a buddy that rented a 1 bedroom apt on East Hastings & Columbia and hated Vancouver

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Could you imagine what the skywalk would become if it was open 24 hours a day here? But on a positive note, at least no one would be sleeping in the bus shelters anymore.
SkyCity would finally become a reality!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 6:51 PM

I have a 110 year old house inner city and it’s actually really sound and cozy.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 6:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Tell us how you really feel
I think it was a wise decision to take a taxi rather than driving himself, give him some credit!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 7:13 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
I have a 110 year old house inner city and it’s actually really sound and cozy.
Yeah, my 1906 house is still going strong.

I am a sucker for older character homes though, and I get that it's not everyone's cup of tea - but then again, some of us aren't so keen on living out in suburbia either. Of course, 100 years ago, Wolseley probably WAS suburbia...

Last edited by drew; Oct 25, 2022 at 7:37 PM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 7:21 PM

Yup, exactly my sentiment. Love being in the core.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
No, but one would assume that you’d be able to easily access your car at what was billed as a park and ride for the duration that the sky train operates. Sky train was running until one… we got there at midnight to locked doors. Not a great policy.
For sure. I would be very annoyed at the property's policy too. It seems like a no-brainer that it would be open later, both in your case and in the case of Portage Place.

But my point was that this kind of stuff isn't the fault of any city (broadly defined). It just sounds unhinged.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Yeah, my 1906 house is still going strong.

I am a sucker for older character homes though, and I get that it's not everyone's cup of tea - but then again, some of us aren't so keen on living out in suburbia either. Of course, 100 years ago, Wolseley probably WAS suburbia...
When Central School (building replacement is called Victoria-Albert School) was first built in 1877 on Ellen St. between William and Bannatyne, it was criticized for being built "away out on the prairie".

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
For sure. I would be very annoyed at the property's policy too. It seems like a no-brainer that it would be open later, both in your case and in the case of Portage Place.

But my point was that this kind of stuff isn't the fault of any city (broadly defined). It just sounds unhinged.
It does sound like there is room for improvement. Maybe OTL should e-mail Portage Place and ask them to put up a helpful sign in the skywalk telling people exactly when the skywalks close so they aren't caught by surprise. I'm pretty sure such signs exist in the skywalk to the east of the arena (I can't remember exactly which buildings).

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 8:31 PM

Quote:
This city sucks so much.

I can't believe it!

I moved back from Seattle, went to a Jets game, and parked at Portage Place...

Had cigars and drinks afterward at Thomas Hinds (totally awesome lounge, piano playing, cigar smoking..something you would see in downtown Chicago)

And all the doors to the skywalk and associated buildings were closed afterward.

Took a cab to Wolseley and will have to come back tomorrow to pay the overnight fee at Portage Place.

I am really beginning to hate Winnipeg and I live in the inner city in a 110 year old house.

It sucks!
There's an intercom to security at the Carlton entrance to the parkade. They would let you in to get your car. Too bad they don't make this stuff clear when you park.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 3:04 AM

Quote:
This city sucks so much.

I can't believe it!

Had cigars and drinks afterward at Thomas Hinds (totally awesome lounge, piano playing, cigar smoking..something you would see in downtown Chicago)

And all the doors to the skywalk and associated buildings were closed afterward.

Took a cab to Wolseley and will have to come back tomorrow to pay the overnight fee at Portage Place.

It sucks!
Just a heads up. For Potage Place after hours you need to walk down the car ramp to the parkade garage doors. There is a door bell and intercom for people to push. Security is on site 24 hours. You need to hit the button say hello and they open the door for you to enter and get your vehicle. Been there and did that.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 7:08 PM

Test drilling at 138 Portage Ave E happening today.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 8:01 PM
There is always a way

I think any movement in those few blocks is fantastic news. Kinda wish that the bond tower could have gotten done, that area needs more than parking lots, it’s located super well.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 12:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
This city sucks so much.

I can't believe it!

It sucks!
I get your frustration, but I don't think writing an alcohol-infused post does much to promote level-headed constructive criticism conversations about the issues the city faces. Best wait until you have sobered up before posting. Trust me, I've learnt this lesson a long time ago!

I moved away a few years past and when I get the chance, I'll likely be moving back when/if the chance arises. I love the city and the people and do want to contribute to a healthy, vibrate, modern, enthusiastic city.

Last edited by PaulR; Oct 27, 2022 at 12:29 AM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 3:47 PM

September Building Stats

Wow 9 months into the year and it's clear that construction and permit activity has decreased substantially since last year. I don't know but having 1/3 of our residential construction activity in the Waverley West area is not a recipe for the cities future success.

This begs the question of what can be done to help spur development in other parts of the city, specifically the city centre?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post

Wow 9 months into the year and it's clear that construction and permit activity has decreased substantially since last year. I don't know but having 1/3 of our residential construction activity in the Waverley West area is not a recipe for the cities future success.

This begs the question of what can be done to help spur development in other parts of the city, specifically the city centre?
Does the City ever survey developers on what factors are deterring them from building in a particular area or on a given lot?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 4:53 PM

Quote:
The zoning of properties in the more older, central parts of the city don't reflect what is, on paper, encouraged by city planners. So city plans might envision triplexes on the corner of residential streets, and nice midrise mixed-use buildings on major streets, but to actually build this you need to change the zoning. Changes to the zoning of a property goes to the local councillor for approval via the City of Winnipeg's community committee system. If NIMBYs show up to the public community committee hearing (and they usually do), it's very risky for developers.

Why spend all that money on architectural and landscape drawings, traffic studies, public consultation, rezoning application fees, etc. if there's a good chance it could be turned down because 6-7 boomers show up and scare the local councillor? Better to build in new neighbourhoods.

The provincial government's combined sewer regulations add cost to doing infill in areas of the city where there's combined sewers (which is basically all of Winnipeg's neighbourhoods that were built up pre-1945). This requires developers to pay for a system that offsets additional flows into the combined sewer.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 5:42 PM

^ this.

Also these companies spend years acquiring land to build these large parcels/holdings. In that time they are undertaking everything mentioned by Wardlow, with no one other than the city to say boo about it. There is far more money to be made on massive exurban development than off of a 3-5 lot infill that will be challenged at every turn by NIMBY's.

The city itself needs to incentivize more centric development through the elimination of endless bureaucracy and neighborhood development committees and simply growing a pair. It shouldn't be as difficult or costly to attain an amendment or an easement as it is and it shouldn't matter what Ted down the street thinks about increased density when he lives in a City.

Don't like growth or density Ted? Feel free to move. Otherwise realize that a city is not a stagnant organism where change should not occur because you've been in the area for 15 years. We cater to the Teds in this city and we end up with what we have as a result.

Side note - sorry to any Ted's who appreciate well crafted density.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
rezoning application fees
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestEndWander View Post
It shouldn't be as difficult or costly to attain an amendment or an easement [...]
During the recent council meeting in which waiving a $20k rezoning fee for the arson-damaged Scott Ave C-store was being debated, it was mentioned that the large bill was the result of a fairly recent 10x increase to those fees. Ross Eadie defended the large fee increase because "that's what Vancouver and Toronto were doing". I was absolutely floored. Like does he not realize that maybe the economics of development in those cities is slightly different?

I'd be very happy to see zoning applications reformed or eliminated. That has to be an anchor on development, especially small improvements like the Scott Avenue store.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 6:02 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
During the recent council meeting in which waiving a $20k rezoning fee for the arson-damaged Scott Ave C-store was being debated, it was mentioned that the large bill was the result of a fairly recent 10x increase to those fees. Ross Eadie defended the large fee increase because "that's what Vancouver and Toronto were doing". I was absolutely floored. Like does he not realize that maybe the economics of development in those cities is slightly different?

I'd be very happy to see zoning applications reformed or eliminated. That has to be an anchor on development, especially small improvements like the Scott Avenue store.
I thought that was a little ridiculous too, mostly since the've essentially said go f yourself to a store owner whose only offence was to be the victim of a fire. It seems crazy to me to not grandfather in the store or just automatically change the zoning. That to me is akin to kicking the person while they're down. I'd be outraged if I had to pay an extra 20k in fees just to rebuild the business that was taken from me by no fault of my own.
Federalist #10, James Madison

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan