HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Mar 13, 2022, 5:55 PM

From WPE yesterday:

Old Posted Mar 13, 2022, 10:35 PM

the top of the building is so boring. i wish it had a crown top similar to the paragon further south on michigan ave.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 2:11 AM

agreed - from many E/W angles (especially in the first 2 pics above), this building looks like a setback to Aqua

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 3:06 AM

it is a turd. should have set it back more from Michigan Ave, and really needs some sort of variance at the top. Just another blue obelisk.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
it is a turd. should have set it back more from Michigan Ave, and really needs some sort of variance at the top. Just another blue obelisk.
"Obelisk"? You wish. God that would have been so much better than this hulking hunk of nothingness.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 12:09 PM

I get that it's not perfect, but it's certainly better than what was there before and it brings more people/traffic to an area trying to make a covid comeback.

Sometimes I peruse the forums of the cities I used to live in (Houston being one of them) and they would kill to have a development half as big as this one, in a prominent location none the less. I guess the bar is just that much higher in Chicago.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJilliams View Post
I get that it's not perfect, but it's certainly better than what was there before and it brings more people/traffic to an area trying to make a covid comeback.

Sometimes I peruse the forums of the cities I used to live in (Houston being one of them) and they would kill to have a development half as big as this one, in a prominent location none the less. I guess the bar is just that much higher in Chicago.
Yeah I don't think people know how good we got it here. In any city besides obviously New York...Austin...Seattle, this would be a big deal. But to us this is basically infill. This used to be some underutilized 3 story brick building, not its a glass tower with tons of retail on our signature street, a new boutiuqe hotel brand coming to chicago, and apartments.

yeah the design could be better and i defintely agree they should've added something to the top, but for a city like Atlanta, Denver, or Boston, this would be one of the most anticipated projects.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 3:19 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJilliams View Post
as i posted on the previous page:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i think many us who survived the trauma of the "river north beige" attack back in the '00s are still a bit too shell-shocked from the unrelenting onslaught of all of those monumentally ugly vertical turds to get too worked up about yet another glass box.

i think anyone calling this project "a turd" is either too young to remember the '00s or wasn't paying attention back then.

this project is by no means a masterpiece, but it's adequate-enough background filler, not some unmitigated disaster of design.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 5:30 PM

I am not that young and all I have to say is turds come in many shapes and sizes. While yes this is nothing as bad as river north beige I still dont like it for blocking the view of my favorite building from the river and I also think they should have some variance at the top of some sort. Neither of which would have cost a ton. But it is what it is. At least like is pointed out it's good a t street level.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
Yeah I don't think people know how good we got it here. In any city besides obviously New York...Austin...Seattle, this would be a big deal. But to us this is basically infill. This used to be some underutilized 3 story brick building, not its a glass tower with tons of retail on our signature street, a new boutiuqe hotel brand coming to chicago, and apartments.

yeah the design could be better and i defintely agree they should've added something to the top, but for a city like Atlanta, Denver, or Boston, this would be one of the most anticipated projects.
I don't think the only options were "crappy underutilized 3 story brick building" or "crappy identikit box." I think the site could have been reserved for something special and I suspect few people in Denver, Atlanta or Boston think this is special in any way. At best, they would bemoan it as the kind of blah filler they (and we) have become inured to. As an aside, Citizen M is hardly boutique (they're fine for what they are--mid-range accommodations with some flair) but that's beside the point: good to have Citizen M here but, hey, it could have been in a nice building. I think the best that could be said about this stump is that its location next to C&C offers such a stark contrast to an era when beauty and craftsmanship mattered.

It seems like "it beats having a parking lot" is a common rationale for mediocrity around here

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 7:55 PM

Good lord. This building is just fine. And well put together. Some folks need to get off their proverbial high horse. You miss the view of the C&C building on your stroll on Wacker & Mich Ave this morning? Walk across the street. Sheesh, give it a rest.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 7:58 PM

I'll take a mediocre building with space dedicated to people over a grimey parking lot/garage every time.

Would I prefer something more creative and unique? Of course. But sometimes we get glass boxes that are a little boring. Still, 47 stories is nothing to scoff at and would be considered a game-changing development in most other cities, even with a mediocre design.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk66 View Post
Good lord. This building is just fine. And well put together. Some folks need to get off their proverbial high horse. You miss the view of the C&C building on your stroll on Wacker & Mich Ave this morning? Walk across the street. Sheesh, give it a rest.
So not only does it replace a 3-story building (wow), but it won't fall down (super-wow)! No one can accuse you of being on a high horse--touché! Your horse is appropriately modest.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
So not only does it replace a 3-story building (wow), but it won't fall down (super-wow)! No one can accuse you of being on a high horse--touché! Your horse is appropriately modest.
There is nothing wrong with this building. Your sensitivity proves nothing.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
oops

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 8:33 PM

Weird that this building is causing some friction in the forum. It's like, so inoffensive. But then, maybe that's the problem. Maybe we shouldn't nod our heads approvingly for inoffensive projects when they occupy premier locations.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasylirion View Post
Weird that this building is causing some friction in the forum. It's like, so inoffensive. But then, maybe that's the problem. Maybe we shouldn't nod our heads approvingly for inoffensive projects when they occupy premier locations.
Sincere question - what makes this a premiere location? it's not on the river, or the lakeshore, or the park. Just another building in a city full of them, and better than many. I'm sure if given a forum at the time, many would have decried the buildings across the street in Illinois Center. Oh no, another Miesien black box!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpwithOlives View Post
Sincere question - what makes this a premiere location? it's not on the river, or the lakeshore, or the park. Just another building in a city full of them, and better than many. I'm sure if given a forum at the time, many would have decried the buildings across the street in Illinois Center. Oh no, another Miesien black box!
Michigan Avenue, a block from the river. You could throw a rock to the site of Ft. Dearborn. I don't know, man, location seems pretty legit to me.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpwithOlives View Post
It's on Michigan Ave (our city's most famous street) right next to the river? lmao

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
It's on Michigan Ave (our city's most famous street) right next to the river? lmao
I'm familiar with Chicago. I never walked by the Walgreen's that was there previously and thought "wow, what a premiere location". The block is near the river, it's not "on" the river. Just one person's opinion...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction