HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
There's also Smyth, although it's a block north toward Lake which I suppose makes it debatable since it's not *on* Randolph, but it has two stars.

Here's a handy map:
https://chicago.eater.com/maps/chica...estaurants-map
Yep, I just thought it would be ironic to have a stretch called Michelin Mile without an actual Michelin Starred Restaurant ON randolph; though as someone pointed out, there are quite a few Bib Gourmand restaurants on and near randolph.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
Why isn't Restaurant Row a good option? I keep reading the sequence of posts and don't see any actual reasons to change it.

If anything, since everything is kind of spreading between Randolph and Fulton along with many of the cross streets, linear names (mile, row, way) probably aren't great in the literal sense.

Michelin Mile in particular is not good though. Too similar to Magnificent Mile phonetically. Also, no need to incorporate a brand name, sounds sponsored. To that end we would eventually end up with Randolph called the McDonalds Mile.
I think we were just brainstorming names for fun no real purpose. Restaurant Row is fine though now it's got me thinking that perhaps branding the district with a non-generic name and marketing it toward culinary tourists might actually be a pretty good idea.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Not really related to this proposal, but: I feel a meme rumbling into the west loop.

1940s --> "Magnificent Mile"
2010s --> "Cultural Mile"
2018 --> "Culinary Mile" ?

Or are there any better ones out there? This came to me while walking down Sangamon after eating really, really well.
I don't see any need for cheesy branding. It is a, rather than the, restaurant row.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 10:11 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I don't see any need for cheesy branding. It is a, rather than the, restaurant row.
Hungry Highway
Boulevard of Bites
Grub Gateway
Culinary Kilometer
Mangia Mile
Palatable Parkway
Delicious Drive
Succulent Street
Fairway of Fare
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Hungry Highway
Boulevard of Bites
Grub Gateway
Culinary Kilometer
Mangia Mile
Palatable Parkway
Delicious Drive
Succulent Street
Fairway of Fare
Hungry hungry highway

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Naw, can't you just see it now? "RESTAURANT ROW" in giant neo-industrial neon letters ten feet tall on a "gateway" sign over Randolph??? That's exactly what we need so all the "turists" know where to get their snack on!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 12:24 PM
BANNED

There's a weird kind of elitism on this forum that I have to say is very entertaining.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Naw, can't you just see it now? "RESTAURANT ROW" in giant neo-industrial neon letters ten feet tall on a "gateway" sign over Randolph??? That's exactly what we need so all the "turists" know where to get their snack on!

And Soho House has invested way too much money in that building for the cool kids to have to pick up and move to a new neighborhood...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannedairspray View Post
There's a weird kind of elitism on this forum that I have to say is very entertaining.
What's weird about not wanting to turn interesting neighborhoods into theme parks for tourists?
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannedairspray View Post
Welcome to the internet, where everyone is an expert on everything!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 3:32 PM

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
Nothing really new -- or surprising -- about that.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 5:11 PM

Welp...before they chop all the height off or cancel the project all together, lets appreciate what could of been.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 5:20 PM

Quote:
It is too tall. Just looking at the proposal objectively, there is no basis for anything so tall there. There is no shortage of land to develop around the core of the city that can house those potential residents - in fact there are plenty of competing developments that need those people.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKChaz View Post
It is too tall. Just looking at the proposal objectively, there is no basis for anything so tall there. There is no shortage of land to develop around the core of the city that can house those potential residents - in fact there are plenty of competing developments that need those people.
Isn’t the fact that the developer is interested in building so tall the strongest bit of evidence that there is, indeed, some basis for something so tall? If you’re interested in making the argument that the harm it could do to the neighborhood is great enough that it overwhelms the benefits, that’s fine, make that argument. But it is very costly to build this high - so if the developer is proposing such a development, that’s a sign that there’s really intense demand in this area.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khantilever View Post
Isn’t the fact that the developer is interested in building so tall the strongest bit of evidence that there is, indeed, some basis for something so tall? If you’re interested in making the argument that the harm it could do to the neighborhood is great enough that it overwhelms the benefits, that’s fine, make that argument. But it is very costly to build this high - so if the developer is proposing such a development, that’s a sign that there’s really intense demand in this area.
I am sure a developer seeing unobstructed views in every direction could be profitable. That isn't the point. This isn't how well-designed cities are planned or what is necessarily best for the entire urban core.

Last edited by VKChaz; Nov 1, 2017 at 5:57 PM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKChaz View Post
I am sure a developer seeing unobstructed views in every direction could be profitable. That isn't the point. This isn't how well-designed cities are planned or what is necessarily best for the entire urban core.
I have no problem with trying to control development to maintain the character of a neighborhood. But we should also recognize the costs of doing so, and consider whether it’s worth it. Your original statement that there is no shortage of land and competing developments trivializes those trade offs and suggests that we can limit development in high-demand areas at little or no cost to the city overall, as if those other parcels are experiencing the same demand but for some reason aren’t being developed. They’re not.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 6:10 PM

Quote:
In other news, water is wet.

This time I kind of agree with them, though. I like the idea of the West Loop as a midrise neighborhood; Chicago doesn't have another one.

At least restrict tall buildings to TODs around CTA stations, so the West Side ends up like the Yonge Street corridor in Toronto (yes, I realize this development would probably be just that around the Morgan L, but you need to establish the zoning regime first).

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 6:19 PM

Quote:
In other news, water is wet.

This time I kind of agree with them, though. I like the idea of the West Loop as a midrise neighborhood; Chicago doesn't have another one.

At least restrict tall buildings to TODs around CTA stations, so the West Side ends up like the Yonge Street corridor in Toronto (yes, I realize this development would probably be just that around the Morgan L, but you need to establish the zoning regime first).
Nvm, answered my own question.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 6:27 PM

I am a big fan of tall and slender, but the proportions really seem off to me. I think it would be far more attractive at around 35 stories. I assume that's what the developer is probably shooting for anyway.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 6:53 PM

Here's the problem with saying a development is "too high". Putting it off only makes it worse. Here's a proposal from last year:
http://neighborsofwestloop.com/2016/...r-development/

Quote:
The 19-story building would be located along Peoria Street, between Pastorelli Food Products (901 W. Lake) and the new Cruz Blanca/Leña Brava restaurant (900 W. Randolph). The existing historic buildings on Lake, Sangamon, and Randolph would serve as a buffer between the larger building and the street level. The building façade is proposed to be brick, concrete, and dark metal with a steel and glass structure.

Committee Feedback

The Development Committee felt that, at 194 ft (with the possibility of increasing under subsequent modifications) the proposed building height was too high, especially in comparison to nearby buildings (both existing and proposed).
They could have had 19 stories, 194ft. By saying no to that, now they're facing 51 stories, 570ft. I wonder if they wish they could get the 19 story proposal back?

And who knows, maybe this is all bait and switch? Get everyone to freak out about 570ft, and then they'll be greatful when it's cut down to "only" 200ft?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction