HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Chicago Square in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 6:43 PM

Drove north down Lasalle this AM, and the police were coordinating the line of of dozens and dozens of dirt-hauling trucks lined up in the right lane from Kinze to Superior...

Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 4:13 PM

Not an update but from this view OCS will have an awesome impact

Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 6:05 PM

Are we building anything in those vacant lots?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 10:25 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
Are we building anything in those vacant lots?
Nothing immediately so far as I know. It's taken a while to get all of the development slated for the former Cabini Green towers and associated low-rises to get going, but it eventually will be filled in. That much I'm sure of.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 12:07 PM

March 29

Still standing

All shored up - will stay standing.

Wrecking Ball

Waiting for the new neighbors

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 4:08 PM

Nice!

Parking lot across Chicago Ave... you're next!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 4:58 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPA View Post
Fun fact while on the topic of cladding. I recently found out that the architects almost chose white Italian marble for Sears Tower until Alcoa lowered their aluminum prices. Imagine Sears clad like Water Tower Place. Wild to think about...
There's some controversy about whether it was a real threat. Everyone wanted aluminum from the start, but they also knew they were being overcharged. It was the architect's understanding that their trip to Italy was a negotiating ploy, but I guess only Sears knows whether they really have accepted marble.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 5:31 PM

Super cool extra info, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I guess only Sears knows whether they really have accepted marble.
Lets call them up and ask! Oh.....

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 5:56 PM

For practical reasons, granite would most likely be a much better idea than any marble, cause it's more resistant.

We can tell here, cause the Grande Arche in la Défense was originally cladded in white marble.
It looked like nothing special from a distance (just looked all white), and panels eventually went damaged by time and weather and ended up falling down 30 years after completion.
It was unsafe to walk around, so they had to reclad the whole thing in granite just recently.

Marble is surely fine in interiors, but it's too touchy for cladding a highrise.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 7:50 PM
BANNED

^The builders of the Standard Oil Building (Aon Center) here in a Chicago arrived at this same conclusion!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^The builders of the Standard Oil Building (Aon Center) here in a Chicago arrived at this same conclusion!
Exactly my thought when I saw people discussing this. Marble just doesn't work that well for supertalls

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 8:23 PM
Show me the blueprints

Marble isn't perfect inside either. Aside from it's easy stainability, especially Carrera and other whites, and this is going to sound like I'm making this up, but I've actually seen with my own eyes a piece of old marble countertop slab that was actually bowed like a piece of plywood. It was bizarre. No way granite could ever do that.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
hahahah, yup! anybody who doesn't know the history of that building needs to google it. hilarious stuff.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 12:54 AM

So it begins...

03/31/19

Last edited by BVictor1; Apr 1, 2019 at 4:59 AM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 5:30 AM

When looking at those pics I realized it was one of the rare times I didn't feel sentimental about the demolition of old buildings.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 5:50 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Marble isn't perfect inside either. Aside from it's easy stainability, especially Carrera and other whites, and this is going to sound like I'm making this up, but I've actually seen with my own eyes a piece of old marble countertop slab that was actually bowed like a piece of plywood. It was bizarre. No way granite could ever do that.
I have relatives that have worked at marble quarries for decades in Italy and I just can't believe marble would warp under any normal circumstances. I'd more believe that was a faux marble product, or someone did something unusual to that marble. If anything, marble is brittle and would crack before it bows to any extreme amount.

It would be interesting to know exactly what marble product that was and what cause it to warp.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 10:47 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
I have relatives that have worked at marble quarries for decades in Italy and I just can't believe marble would warp under any normal circumstances. I'd more believe that was a faux marble product, or someone did something unusual to that marble. If anything, marble is brittle and would crack before it bows to any extreme amount.

It would be interesting to know exactly what marble product that was and what cause it to warp.
Speaking as a geologist/mineralogist, I agree with this sentiment, HomrQT. Marble doesn't warp, at least not easily. Probably some sort of faux product, honestly.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 11:03 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post

I would to. It was several years ago and I believe it was leaning against a basement wall. I'm pretty knowledgeable in this area and I can assure you it was not a cultured marble or anything man-made. It was definitely bowed, or I guess I should have said cupped, probably about 3/8" or so in the middle of a 25" depth. It was really strange, I just kept looking at it like you'd stare at a blue turd, whether a dog's or yours. I haven't a clue what could have caused it. Can porous marble strength and flexibility, or lack thereof, be affected by high humidity like wood? I never thought so until I saw that one piece of marble...

Anyways, this has got to qualify as the most off-topic tangent in any thread I've ever participated in.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 12:09 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
It was definitely bowed, or I guess I should have said cupped, probably about 3/8" or so in the middle of a 25" depth.
That's nuts.

Quote:
Anyways, this has got to qualify as the most off-topic tangent in any thread I've ever participated in.
Possibly...
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 1:18 AM

Marble is actually a very soft stone relative to stuff like Granite and I can definitely see it warping if left leaning like that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive