HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

One Chicago Square in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 3:32 AM
New Yorker for life

From the Dronalist...

Video Link

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 12:15 PM

Stunning

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 2:53 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Amazing find, thanks for the screenshots, NYGuy!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 3:50 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Amazing!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 4:55 PM

I walked by it the other day for the first time. Definitely has an impact urban-wise. Really great to that all of a sudden there isn't a huge parking lot right after you were walking in a pretty urban street to begin with. Looks pretty nice too of course. Will be interesting to see how the plaza is once it's open.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 5:59 AM

What a great find of a video! Absolutely stunning angles.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2022, 2:43 AM

Beautiful sunset photo this evening showing One Chicago among the high rises of River North, Streeterville, the Gold Coast, and beyond.

Source: Vashon Jordan Jr. Photography

Old Posted Feb 21, 2022, 4:29 AM

God that's a stunning photo - Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2022, 5:38 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
From the Dronalist...

The spacing of Chicago's tallest buildings is perfect.
Trump and Putin met privately in Helsinki in 2018. Then Trump praised Putin and said he trusted him more than American intelligence. Then Trump withheld military aid from Ukraine. Clearly, what Trump and Putin discussed was that Putin would invade Ukraine and Trump would help him. When Biden beat Trump, Putin went ahead anyway. Luckily Biden is actually a patriotic American and is working with NATO to stop Putin.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2022, 5:47 PM
ψ Sailor of the Mind ψ

Am I stepping out of line with saying that I think One Chicago is the best tower to rise in the last 10 years for the Chicago region. IMO, in terms of the aesthetic impact it has and its proportions.

Love St Regis and all but IMO, One Chicago just has the type of design and impact that I think will cement itself as one of the greats in terms of the new generation of towers representing the 21st Century.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2022, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Am I stepping out of line with saying that I think One Chicago is the best tower to rise in the last 10 years for the Chicago region. IMO, in terms of the aesthetic impact it has and its proportions.

Love St Regis and all but IMO, One Chicago just has the type of design and impact that I think will cement itself as one of the greats in terms of the new generation of towers representing the 21st Century.
100% agree with this.

I like the St. Regis. It's a great addition, but this building just has a level of beauty and grace to it that St. Regis doesn't. It stands out so much more for the very reasons you just described.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2022, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
100% agree with this.

I like the St. Regis. It's a great addition, but this building just has a level of beauty and grace to it that St. Regis doesn't. It stands out so much more for the very reasons you just described.

One Chicago is way better than St. Regis.

The shifting setbacks and the playful neo-Deco of One Chicago's lines enliven the building without being detrimental to the sense of integrity.

The building is disappointing from the North/South and it seems less solid than (and by its proximity to) the Hancock, but it is a much better

addition to the city than St. Regis. The St. Regis looks cobbled and superficial by comparison. The St. Regis is an embarrassing display of over-reach

which should have stopped at the level of the blow-through while One Chicago could have extended itself into much more height and still have had

integrity.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2022, 4:45 AM

I prefer St. Regis. Another Jeanne Gang masterpiece! It is a building ahead of its time.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2022, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
St. Regis' highest blow-through is actually starting to look rather neat. Both St. Regis and One Chicago are wonderful additions to the skyline.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2022, 5:40 PM
1st Ward

That is an amazing shot, NYguy! Thanks for that perspective!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2022, 5:47 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post

Source: Vashon Jordan Jr. Photography
i struggled for a bit with this shot trying to locate franklin center.

and there it was, hiding in plain sight, perfectly aligned with sears.

a superb shot, i just wish it panned left a little more to get st. regis.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post

Absolutely agree!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 4:36 AM

This is a wonderful tower and a great addition to the skyline. That said, when people visit Chicago, I do not believe they will leave here talking about this tower — with the caveat being whether or not they are skyscraper nerds/aficionado’s of course. But to the casual visitor, it is my feeling that St.Regis wows and makes a bigger, lasting impression. Unless within close proximity, many causal visitors will barely notice OCS, but St.Regis gets practically everyone’s attention. It is just that different and stunning — particularly on days when the sun hits the various colors/shapes of that tower… reflecting off the river and lake.

It is something best witnessed in person. Pictures don’t do St.Regis justice. Moreover, due to its critical acclaim right now combined with its unique shape & colors of the glass, again, I feel that St.Regis is ahead of its time. In a decade, I think the view of St.Regis will be different (in an even more favorable way) from its view today - vis a vis the Thompson Center when it was first built, vis a vis the Sears Tower when it was first built.

I could be wrong on that of course. Time will tell.

But here is my bottom line on the issue —- I like having them BOTH.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsted & Villagio View Post
This is a wonderful tower and a great addition to the skyline. That said, when people visit Chicago, I do not believe they will leave here talking about this tower — with the caveat being whether or not they are skyscraper nerds/aficionado’s of course. But to the casual visitor, it is my feeling that St.Regis wows and makes a bigger, lasting impression. Unless within close proximity, many causal visitors will barely notice OCS, but St.Regis gets practically everyone’s attention. It is just that different and stunning — particularly on days when the sun hits the various colors/shapes of that tower… reflecting off the river and lake.

It is something best witnessed in person. Pictures don’t do St.Regis justice. Moreover, due to its critical acclaim right now combined with its unique shape & colors of the glass, again, I feel that St.Regis is ahead of its time. In a decade, I think the view of St.Regis will be different (in an even more favorable way) from its view today - vis a vis the Thompson Center when it was first built, vis a vis the Sears Tower when it was first built.

Well said. Both rock my socks. Thought I'd bring this great photo post back. They look amazing together and are pushing this city skywards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLeunamme View Post
Earlier today

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 8:46 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsted & Villagio View Post

That's also partially a function of location. I live very close to Millenium Park and I always hear tourists commenting "whoa, that's a cool building." Though often followed by "what's up with that floor that's empty?"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction