HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

One Chicago Square in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drcastro View Post
You mean diamonds?
Could just name the new building The Rhombus...

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 7:52 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I'm so tired of people defending the Ohio Slouch hotel. It's a shitbag, I don't care if it represents a mid-century style.

But if we insist on keeping it around, then turn the parking lot into a landscaped plaza, and there you go.
I used to defend Ohio House, then I realized I despise this kind of awful, car-centric building when I see it in other cities (just saw a bunch in SF). It cheapens the cityscape.

There's certainly a place for budget hotels in River North, but we need to work on making sure there are fewer places for cars.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 9:42 PM
1st Ward

We could always move it to another location if everyone loves the Ohio House so much. I don't necessarily mind its 60-70s vibe, I just think its in the worst spot for a car centric budget motel. If moving the entire thing is too pricey (and it definitely will be), then just save the diamond motifs and demolish the rest. You can reuse them in the new development on that site or elsewhere in the city.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I used to defend Ohio House, then I realized I despise this kind of awful, car-centric building when I see it in other cities (just saw a bunch in SF). It cheapens the cityscape.

There's certainly a place for budget hotels in River North, but we need to work on making sure there are fewer places for cars.
One Ohio House is a great cultural relic of a different era.

I think the main issue I have with it is that it is across from the McDonald's parking lot and that BP gas station. If they redevelop the gas station and the parking lot just to the north (as well as the Walgreens just around the corner), then I think it would be great to hold onto the Ohio House as a cultural relic and reminder of Route 66.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 5:34 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post

I think the main issue I have with it is that it is across from the McDonald's parking lot and that BP gas station. If they redevelop the gas station and the parking lot just to the north (as well as the Walgreens just around the corner), then I think it would be great to hold onto the Ohio House as a cultural relic and reminder of Route 66.
Yeah that sounds pretty acceptable by me. I don't think either of those two are going away anytime soon however. McDonald's will never give up any part of its full block site unless it sells the entire thing. Its more valuable kept as one single parcel. And the BP just got a big makeover/remodel, so that's going to be there for at least another half decade at the minimum.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 4:42 AM

On rare days, as I pass over I-90 at Schaumburg, I get a perfect glimpse of downtown. 1 Chi is thick.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2021, 2:20 PM

Old Posted Nov 6, 2021, 2:58 PM
The City

Gosh, developers from before really did a number on River North didn't they?

We keep building, but "River North beige" just keeps dominating the cityscape.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2021, 3:04 PM
Plenary pleasures.

At least 5-7 prominent, newer highrises in that photo above can attributed to one person: Jim Loewenberg. I try very hard to never speak ill of the dead, but considering I worked on one of his projects many years ago and actually knew him, that man was a cheap, greedy, apathetic monster.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2021, 3:08 PM

Quote:

We keep building, but "River North beige" just keeps dominating the cityscape.
West of Wells looks like river north white.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2021, 4:05 PM
The City

^ I just hope that we get to a point where River North beige eventually gets drowned out. Build, build, build!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2021, 5:46 PM

I was walking by the monstrosity that is Asbury Plaza and it looks like it was getting a grey paint job. Unless that's just the primer it could be one less beige tower in River North.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2021, 7:22 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post

Why not move it onto Route 66? https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8776...7i16384!8i8192 here might be a good spot (though maybe still too prominent).

Old Posted Nov 6, 2021, 10:16 PM

Has anyone heard news on when the Whole Foods buildout will happen? Or any news on when the store plans to open?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2021, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewbs View Post
Love this southern biased angle. Looking thin.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2021, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blupo View Post
Has anyone heard news on when the Whole Foods buildout will happen? Or any news on when the store plans to open?
The Whole Foods buildout is happening now, but I don't think it opens until February. Lifetime will open to the public in January.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 1:21 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
At least 5-7 prominent, newer highrises in that photo above can attributed to one person: Jim Loewenberg. I try very hard to never speak ill of the dead, but considering I worked on one of his projects many years ago and actually knew him, that man was a cheap, greedy, apathetic monster.
Low-end-berg absolutely sucked. Thank god he allowed other architects to design buildings in LSE. The first few that were done in house by Loewenberg + Associates (The Lancaster, the Shoreham, etc) are by far the least inspired, and honestly, they are some of the better examples of the man's overall subpar work.

Quote:
And the worst culprit of the infamous River North Beige club has got to be Grand Plaza. Just so unbelievably ugly. Designed, of course, by our friend Mr. Loewenberg.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Low-end-berg absolutely sucked. Thank god he allowed other architects to design buildings in LSE. The first few that were done in house by Loewenberg + Associates (The Lancaster, the Shoreham, etc) are by far the least inspired, and honestly, they are some of the better examples of the man's overall subpar work.

And the worst culprit of the infamous River North Beige club has got to be Grand Plaza. Just so unbelievably ugly. Designed, of course, by our friend Mr. Loewenberg.
You learn something new every day on these forums (ideally). Yeah I've always hated Grand Plaza lol

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 2:44 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
You learn something new every day on these forums (ideally). Yeah I've always hated Grand Plaza lol
It's honestly one of my most hated buildings in the city. I remember watching them go up and dry heaving every time I had to look at them.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 7:54 PM

When I visited Chicago over the summer, One Chicago was still under construction and I honestly was not too fond of the renders. Now that it is almost complete I honestly think it's a gorgeous building. Really complements the skyline well

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction