HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

One Chicago Square in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Not short sighted thinking at all.

The owner of that McDonald's definitely has a long view. He's making money hand over fist, and saving that lot for years as other ones get developed, demand increases, and he can finally sell it some day for mounds and mounds of mucho dinero.

I am so jealous.....
Doesn’t McDonald’s corporate own most locations and lease them back to franchisees. That’s why they never get redeveloped. The ricketts had to pay WAY over ask and guarantee a lease to get the wrigley one. McDonald’s is actually a property management company, not a restaurant lol

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 11:45 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy View Post
Doesn’t McDonald’s corporate own most locations and lease them back to franchisees. That’s why they never get redeveloped. The ricketts had to pay WAY over ask and guarantee a lease to get the wrigley one. McDonald’s is actually a property management company, not a restaurant lol
The Ross Barney-designed McDonald's in River North is corporate owned, I believe, not a franchise store.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 12:33 AM
The City

^ Ah, thanks for clarifying.

So it goes without saying that even if a high rise gets built here some day, it will probably have a permanent McDonald’s

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
The Ross Barney-designed McDonald's in River North is corporate owned, I believe, not a franchise store.
Which is probably why they can afford to hold out for so long or at least aren't tempted to sell. On the flip side, the lot for One Chicago Square went for $100 million IIRC. Given that corporations exist to make money, they'll bite when the time is right. But seeing how new the new McDonald's is there it will probably be at least another 5 years or more.

On the bright side Rainforest was sold so I'm eager to see what happens to that lot. Has anyone heard about plans? I think it was purchased by Conlon.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
Which is probably why they can afford to hold out for so long or at least aren't tempted to sell. On the flip side, the lot for One Chicago Square went for $100 million IIRC. Given that corporations exist to make money, they'll bite when the time is right. But seeing how new the new McDonald's is there it will probably be at least another 5 years or more.

On the bright side Rainforest was sold so I'm eager to see what happens to that lot. Has anyone heard about plans? I think it was purchased by Conlon.
That McDonald's next to the Hard Rock Cafe, I doubt they ever sell it. It's essentially a tourist trap and operational billboard for McDonald's, kind of like their version of the Starbucks Roastery. That thing is a beacon for visitors to the city, at least when it was the Rock n' Roll McDonald's. I'm not sure it is quite the same with the new design. At any rate, they use that to test out concepts. It's more than just a regular old McDonald's, like the one at State and Chicago.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 10:56 PM

Hate the surface lot but I personally like the rn mcds building. It’s essentially the poor mans art institute modern wing.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 11:38 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy View Post
Hate the surface lot but I personally like the rn mcds building. It’s essentially the poor mans art institute modern wing.
It used to be. It used to have s lot of nice designer furniture in the second floor. But of course the general public can't keep nice things nice.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 12:22 PM

Oct 17

crossing Chicago in Oak Park

Oct 20

From the Ashland El sta.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 2:13 PM

Stunning images, Harry.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
That McDonald's next to the Hard Rock Cafe, I doubt they ever sell it. It's essentially a tourist trap and operational billboard for McDonald's, kind of like their version of the Starbucks Roastery. That thing is a beacon for visitors to the city, at least when it was the Rock n' Roll McDonald's. I'm not sure it is quite the same with the new design. At any rate, they use that to test out concepts. It's more than just a regular old McDonald's, like the one at State and Chicago.
that's the wrong one. There's a shitty one that gets crime action directly across the street from this site. The building next to it has vacant retail, a Taco Bell that's weirdly always empty (for a Taco Bell anyway) and a Chic Fil A. There's also another parking lot across from it.

I guess I can see the area with the big McD/Hard Rock/Portillos staying a tourist trap but I don't really get where these people are staying? That's a really weird area of River North. I feel like the quieter areas around this massive development will develop before them.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantsblanket View Post
that's the wrong one. There's a shitty one that gets crime action directly across the street from this site. The building next to it has vacant retail, a Taco Bell that's weirdly always empty (for a Taco Bell anyway) and a Chic Fil A. There's also another parking lot across from it.

I guess I can see the area with the big McD/Hard Rock/Portillos staying a tourist trap but I don't really get where these people are staying? That's a really weird area of River North. I feel like the quieter areas around this massive development will develop before them.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 5:42 PM

Or at the Moxy. That place is pretty cool.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 7:45 PM

Is that the Ohio Inn?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 6:17 PM
1st Ward

Sure is. That place so badly needs to go. So does the Best Western kitty corner to this site, but as ugly as it is, its at least its a more urban design that the Ohio House.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 9:37 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ That's some Googie style!!! We have lots of that style in LA, though they are becoming more and more rare.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Sure is. That place so badly needs to go. So does the Best Western kitty corner to this site, but as ugly as it is, its at least its a more urban design that the Ohio House.
Uhm no way, I believe it has historical protection. Mid century modern at its best.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 2:20 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
Uhm no way, I believe it has historical protection. Mid century modern at its best.
Really? Surely you jest. I wouldn't necessarily mind this if it were located elsewhere in the city, such as along Western. But in the central area, anything with a surface lot is public enemy #1 in my book.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
I don't think there's any historical protection for this property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post

Not really. The Best Western yes... Ohio House has a cool kitsch.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
Maybe when it goes, the replacement tower can integrate (and re-use) those funky triangles into the design
You mean diamonds?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 3:36 PM
The City

I'm so tired of people defending the Ohio Slouch hotel. It's a shitbag, I don't care if it represents a mid-century style.

But if we insist on keeping it around, then turn the parking lot into a landscaped plaza, and there you go.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction