HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive


 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #261  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 6:29 PM
The Best Forumer's Avatar
The Best Forumer The Best Forumer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
LOL!

son, chicago was building boxes back when houston was still wearing diapers.

chicago taught the entire freaking planet how to build boxes in the first place.


source: wikipedia





that said, the current design for this project is "boxy" in that it incorporates a lot of right angles, but by no definition of the word "box" that i'm familiar with, is it actually a box.

the set backs on the north elevation along with the serrated western facade that follows the non-orthagonal line of the river both preclude the massing from being a literal box.






Chill mang... I was referring to Genslers box... lulz.
__________________
The suburbs are second-rate. Cookie-cutter houses, treeless yards, mediocre schools, and more crime than you think. Do your family a favor and move closer to the city.
     
     
  #262  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 5:51 PM
amoninu5 amoninu5 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 2
Long-time lurker, first time poster, but I got a tip from a contact that I thought the page would care about.

It sounds like, unfortunately, the second major tenant that was lined up for 110 N Wacker (who I'll leave unnamed) has just bailed after coming inches from signing for months now, which is apparently enough to affect the design here and the height will be now be lowered. Not sure by how much, but this came from a source working on the project. This sucks because I was sooo looking forward to seeing another 800 footer.
     
     
  #263  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 8:11 PM
r18tdi's Avatar
r18tdi r18tdi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoninu5 View Post
Long-time lurker, first time poster, but I got a tip from a contact that I thought the page would care about.

It sounds like, unfortunately, the second major tenant that was lined up for 110 N Wacker (who I'll leave unnamed) has just bailed after coming inches from signing for months now, which is apparently enough to affect the design here and the height will be now be lowered. Not sure by how much, but this came from a source working on the project. This sucks because I was sooo looking forward to seeing another 800 footer.
Laaaame
     
     
  #264  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 8:48 PM
maru2501's Avatar
maru2501 maru2501 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: chicago
Posts: 1,657
not my money, but maybe they'll spec the rest of the height
     
     
  #265  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 9:21 PM
Khantilever Khantilever is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 314
Oh man, that's incredibly disappointing. This was one of those towers that flies under the radar for most people, but still makes a massive contribution to filling in the city and skyline.

Obviously we can't say for sure without more detail about why this tenant decided not to sign, but this may be a nice sign about how much commercial space has come on the market recently and how much is in the pipeline.
     
     
  #266  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 9:27 PM
chicubs111 chicubs111 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,222
hmm strange...I mean Bank of america was always there main tennant i didnt know that the building was up for height/design changes if another major tenant wasn't signed by a specific time...wouldnt they just keep shopping obvsiouly for more options instead of just shrinking the building?
     
     
  #267  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 10:18 PM
TimeAgain TimeAgain is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
hmm strange...I mean Bank of america was always there main tennant i didnt know that the building was up for height/design changes if another major tenant wasn't signed by a specific time...wouldnt they just keep shopping obvsiouly for more options instead of just shrinking the building?
Doing so might risk losing BoA as it would delay construction.
     
     
  #268  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 3:59 AM
donnie's Avatar
donnie donnie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 556
Anyone else notice what's missing from the bridges in pics?
     
     
  #269  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 12:52 PM
BuildThemTaller BuildThemTaller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Long Island City, NY
Posts: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
Anyone else notice what's missing from the bridges in pics?
Is it "things that would get in the way of the rendering?"
     
     
  #270  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 1:59 PM
Gonzo the Great's Avatar
Gonzo the Great Gonzo the Great is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: the Henson Galaxy
Posts: 478
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is offline
Professional Midwesterner


son, chicago was building boxes back when houston was still wearing diapers.

chicago taught the entire freaking planet how to build boxes in the first place.


Yes , and a damn good box builder too .
__________________
...... I had that weird dream again !
     
     
  #271  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 2:44 PM
The Best Forumer's Avatar
The Best Forumer The Best Forumer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo the Great View Post
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is offline
Professional Midwesterner


son, chicago was building boxes back when houston was still wearing diapers.

chicago taught the entire freaking planet how to build boxes in the first place.


Yes , and a damn good box builder too .
Chill mang... I was referring to Genslers box... lulz.
__________________
The suburbs are second-rate. Cookie-cutter houses, treeless yards, mediocre schools, and more crime than you think. Do your family a favor and move closer to the city.
     
     
  #272  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 12:30 AM
left of center's Avatar
left of center left of center is offline
1st Ward
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: The Big Onion
Posts: 2,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoninu5 View Post
Long-time lurker, first time poster, but I got a tip from a contact that I thought the page would care about.

It sounds like, unfortunately, the second major tenant that was lined up for 110 N Wacker (who I'll leave unnamed) has just bailed after coming inches from signing for months now, which is apparently enough to affect the design here and the height will be now be lowered. Not sure by how much, but this came from a source working on the project. This sucks because I was sooo looking forward to seeing another 800 footer.
Ugh, I hope your information is wrong. That would flat out suuuuuck!
     
     
  #273  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 7:24 PM
Bombardier Bombardier is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I also heard end of Q1 2018, demo in Q2, basically immediately after they leave.
Heard this week from a contractor preparing for the demo... they are planning to begin demolition in February 2018, around the same time you heard. Good news to hear this is going to take off yet this cycle.
     
     
  #274  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 9:34 PM
HomrQT's Avatar
HomrQT HomrQT is offline
All-American City Boy
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Hinsdale / Uptown, Chicago
Posts: 1,879
^^^

Hopefully we don't see a height reduction / negative design change.
__________________
1. 111 W 57 - Manhattan, New York - SHoP Architects - Photo
2. The Smith Center - Las Vegas, Nevada - David M. Schwarz Architects - Photo
3. One Chicago Square - Chicago - HPA and Goettsch Partners - Photo
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo
     
     
  #275  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 9:47 PM
Domer2019 Domer2019 is offline
Biased in a good way?
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
^^^

Hopefully we don't see a height reduction / negative design change.
Yeah, I have trouble reconciling the dissonance of this project needing to downsize while countless PD's like Lincoln Yards, Tribune, and Reese (and Wolf Point South) get announced even though this single building would surely hit the market well before any of that.
     
     
  #276  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 10:23 PM
left of center's Avatar
left of center left of center is offline
1st Ward
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: The Big Onion
Posts: 2,338
Can't they keep the height the same and just build the unleased floors on spec?
     
     
  #277  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 12:34 AM
Kumdogmillionaire's Avatar
Kumdogmillionaire Kumdogmillionaire is offline
Development Shill
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Can't they keep the height the same and just build the unleased floors on spec?
They can, but getting financing for that is harder I'd imagine and I'm sure many developers hate footing the bill themselves.
__________________
For you - Bane
     
     
  #278  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 3:36 PM
Skyguy_7 Skyguy_7 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
^^^

Hopefully we don't see a height reduction / negative design change.
I just confirmed through a contractor working on the project that there is no height reduction as reported here earlier. In fact, there's currently talk about adding a floor.

Also was told that demo begins in January. We shall see...
     
     
  #279  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 3:46 PM
TimeAgain TimeAgain is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
I just confirmed through a contractor working on the project that there is no height reduction as reported here earlier. In fact, there's currently talk about adding a floor.

Also was told that demo begins in January. We shall see...
Oh, man. Great news!
     
     
  #280  
Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 5:54 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 21,375
^ That must certainly mean that lease ups have been going pretty well
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:15 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.