HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #121  
Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 10:45 PM
go go white sox go go white sox is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
No worries I am guessing this is simply about hiding a blemish from potential One Bennett Park condo owners.
I didn't even think of that but that makes sense could very well be the case
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #122  
Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 11:02 PM
Zapatan's Avatar
Zapatan Zapatan is offline
DENNAB
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NA - Europe
Posts: 5,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by go go white sox View Post
I didn't even think of that but that makes sense could very well be the case
I hope so, I was afraid it meant they were going to turn it into a park or something lame... I mean as great as parks are and all.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #123  
Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 12:34 AM
Zapatan's Avatar
Zapatan Zapatan is offline
DENNAB
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NA - Europe
Posts: 5,137
Upon looking at pictures of the site again it doesn't seem like there would be room for such if they were to build elsewhere other than the current foundation (which if buried probably wouldn't be able to be built over for obvious reasons). I hope this is just temporary, it could be a metaphorical burying of any possibility of something rising here.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #124  
Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 1:49 AM
rlw777 rlw777 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Upon looking at pictures of the site again it doesn't seem like there would be room for such if they were to build elsewhere other than the current foundation (which if buried probably wouldn't be able to be built over for obvious reasons). I hope this is just temporary, it could be a metaphorical burying of any possibility of something rising here.
I am fairly certain Related is simply making it a little bit prettier for potential buyers over at their other property One Bennett Park. Developers don't generally engage in beautification efforts without a profit motivation. Also it doesn't hurt them politically the neighbors to the site might be more inclined to support any new proposal just based on the fact the Related did something to hide the spire hole. Also someone else probably knows better than I do but there could be a condition of site improvements within a certain time period to retain development rights here.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #125  
Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 2:03 AM
Ryanrule Ryanrule is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 772
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #126  
Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 2:28 PM
braun06 braun06 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 17
Its strange that so much can be said for dirt. It is the one material that can be bought and resold if needed. Consider this earthwork as contractor grade window coverings in a new house. There is no news here to be worked up about. When they do develop the site they may reuse the soil to raise site grade, provide a cap over environmental issues or just sell it etc. It's an asset that won't lose value. The plants are most likely cheap filler. There is no news here, just someone being a responsible neighbor for a change.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #127  
Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 8:44 PM
Kumdogmillionaire's Avatar
Kumdogmillionaire Kumdogmillionaire is offline
Development Shill
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by braun06 View Post
Its strange that so much can be said for dirt. It is the one material that can be bought and resold if needed. Consider this earthwork as contractor grade window coverings in a new house. There is no news here to be worked up about. When they do develop the site they may reuse the soil to raise site grade, provide a cap over environmental issues or just sell it etc. It's an asset that won't lose value. The plants are most likely cheap filler. There is no news here, just someone being a responsible neighbor for a change.
So much this. This is barely going to cost them any money to do and scores them brownie points with the neighbors. Win win situation. I fail to see why some are looking at this as some sign that the lot will remain empty for many years to come.
__________________
For you - Bane
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #128  
Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 11:08 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 15,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
I am fairly certain Related is simply making it a little bit prettier for potential buyers over at their other property One Bennett Park.
This has nothing to do with One Bennett Park. It really only benefits the townhouses that have stared out at a vacant lot for years.

I'm sure someone at some level exerted pressure on Related to do this. Either SOAR or Ald. Reilly.

Related has an incentive to keep people happy, they want to get approval for whatever they decide to build eventually. The market still isn't quite there for condos yet where you'd have a significant number of buyers in the 0.1%.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #129  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 12:40 AM
Zapatan's Avatar
Zapatan Zapatan is offline
DENNAB
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NA - Europe
Posts: 5,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
This has nothing to do with One Bennett Park. It really only benefits the townhouses that have stared out at a vacant lot for years.

I'm sure someone at some level exerted pressure on Related to do this. Either SOAR or Ald. Reilly.

Related has an incentive to keep people happy, they want to get approval for whatever they decide to build eventually. The market still isn't quite there for condos yet where you'd have a significant number of buyers in the 0.1%.
I suppose the land is too valuable for the park to be permanent. When the Chicago boom picks up hopefully Related reconsiders and what they put there is worth the amazing lot.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #130  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 2:20 AM
Chi-Sky21 Chi-Sky21 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,191
They need to get Related to do the Spires contribution to DuSable Park. With the Flyover finishing I would think this should be priority.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #131  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 4:43 PM
Reinsdorf Sucks's Avatar
Reinsdorf Sucks Reinsdorf Sucks is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinsdorf Sucks View Post
There will be a competition with proposals from multiple firms.
Proposals should be submitted this month.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #132  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 4:47 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is online now
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 26,471
^ tantalizing.
__________________
"every time a strip mall dies, an angel gets its wings"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #133  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 4:54 PM
ithakas's Avatar
ithakas ithakas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 873
Excellent! I wonder how Related will time this project, and if we'll find out their plans for the site this summer. My only concern is that they won't want the Spire site proposal to overshadow their Bennett Park project, though it seems like they'll serve folks with very different tastes either way.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #134  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 5:38 PM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 14,985
3/29/2016




__________________
Harry C - Urbanize Chicago- My Flickr stream HRC_OakPark
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. B Franklin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #135  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 5:57 PM
BuildThemTaller BuildThemTaller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Long Island City, NY
Posts: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinsdorf Sucks View Post
Proposals should be submitted this month.
My assumption this whole time has been that Related Midwest is doing the landscaping to prepare for some sort of event. I remember reading a while ago that proposals from architects would be due by April. I couldn't find the link or quote and didn't want to post without it. Anyway, that's my thought. This recent activity is about preparing for some event or revealing the potential designs.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #136  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 6:03 PM
lu9 lu9 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 213
Such an awesome/tantalizing/valuable/sexy piece of earth right there.

Hope the RFP is sent out to all the top dogs. This site is worthy of a Chicago icon if there ever was one.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #137  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 6:34 PM
munchymunch's Avatar
munchymunch munchymunch is offline
MPLSXCHI
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Posts: 1,070
If zaha hadid architects applied they probably will win.
__________________
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." -Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #138  
Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 9:59 PM
LouisVanDerWright LouisVanDerWright is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
If zaha hadid architects applied they probably will win.
Not if Frank Lloyd Wright and Mies Van Der Rohe apply as well!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #139  
Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 2:04 AM
BVictor1's Avatar
BVictor1 BVictor1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Not if Frank Lloyd Wright and Mies Van Der Rohe apply as well!
You see what you did there...
__________________
titanic1
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #140  
Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 11:13 AM
Notyrview Notyrview is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,648
bkl should design this tower
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:39 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.