HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 8:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archguy View Post
What are those towers north of the tracks along Morgan and Carpenter near 1000 W Carroll and 400 N Aberdeen? Are those proposed?

--
Yeah would be nice to add those to https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...256369563&z=18 if that poster is reading

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 2:35 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
In more West Loop news, the Embrey (21 N May St) broke ground

https://chicagoagentmagazine.com/202...-construction/
^ That's a handsome one, albeit I don't like the blank ground floor treatment for much of its length.

It seems as construction in River North has really slowed to a crawl. Everybody has put their "eggs" in the West Loop.

Exciting, but I'm a "development everywhere" kinda guy. Come on, River North, bring it back!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ That's a handsome one, albeit I don't like the blank ground floor treatment for much of its length.

It seems as construction in River North has really slowed to a crawl. Everybody has put their "eggs" in the West Loop.

Exciting, but I'm a "development everywhere" kinda guy. Come on, River North, bring it back!
808 N Cleveland, 757 W Hudson, and 401 W Chicago all broke ground in RN in the last month or so. First phase of North Union should start in Q1. I think 739 N Wells may start fairly soon as well. RN is gonna bring it back!

Actually I just noticed the crane is up at 808 N Cleveland, not sure if that's already been spotted.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
808 N Cleveland, 757 W Hudson, and 401 W Chicago all broke ground in RN in the last month or so. First phase of North Union should start in Q1. I think 739 N Wells may start fairly soon as well. RN is gonna bring it back!

Actually I just noticed the crane is up at 808 N Cleveland, not sure if that's already been spotted.
Yes. The pace of construction is dropping off in RN right now because (with a few exceptions like the Macerich parcel, some hold-out parking lots, and several low-rise fast food/gas stations/banks) most of the easily developable and available lots have been built out. The 42nd Ward Alderman seems to handle development in waves and I don't think his office has held a development meeting since 400 N. LSD.

If office demand suddenly picks up we could see Rivere, 777 N. Franklin, and the two "Verso" buildings at 311 and 320 Huron move forward. On the residential side, in addition to the first phase of North Union starting, Halsted Pointe is expected to break ground this year. Same with Cassidy Tire (although both are not technically RN). 741 N. Wells could start within a year or two. 40 W. Oak (which is more Gold Coasty) is approved, but condos are so sluggish compared to rentals.

Not sure what's going on with co-living proposal at Chicago and LaSalle or the hotel at 330 N. Clark, likely on hold due to COVID. No word on the Porritt Group hotel at Hubbard and LaSalle or the Morningside condos at 365 W. Huron -- both were involved in lawsuits between the property owners and the developers. And the Bentham should open sometime in 2024 lol

Last edited by r18tdi; Jan 5, 2022 at 5:16 PM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
Please take that BP and Portillos and transplant to the burbs.

I'd be happy to keep McDs (which feels like a park in some ways) if we could ditch those two adjacent, bad uses of land
As far as we know, none of those parcels are in play for redevelopment in the immediate future (the BP was just completely rebuilt this past year). We can dream, of course...

Last edited by r18tdi; Jan 6, 2022 at 1:13 AM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 10:19 PM
The City

^ I hate a gas station as much as the next guy, but I gotta say.....Uber drivers, taxi cabs, limos, and the guy who delivers things around, etc--they gotta fill up somewhere!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I hate a gas station as much as the next guy, but I gotta say.....Uber drivers, taxi cabs, limos, and the guy who delivers things around, etc--they gotta fill up somewhere!
American cities should really have curb side pumps like some European cities (notably Paris). But then American car manufacturers would have to put the tank opening on the correct (passenger) side.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 11:01 PM

As someone who actually lives in the area, I'm going to need that Portillos to stay right were it is lol.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 11:12 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
As someone who actually lives in the area, I'm going to need that Portillos to stay right were it is lol.
Word. Portillo's is just a NEEDED thing in any neighborhood that takes itself seriously.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archguy View Post
What are those towers north of the tracks along Morgan and Carpenter near 1000 W Carroll and 400 N Aberdeen? Are those proposed?

--
Nothing publicly announced, but they have appeared in several presentations in diagrams showing the future context of the area. They show up in the 13 N May presentation deck and a few Sterling Bay project presentations decks I'm blanking on. The fact that the massing looks similar across presentations makes me wonder if they know something we don't. But could just be placeholders.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2022, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks rgarri - the height bump on the northern tower is fairly significant and helps break up the cluster. If only 'The Porch' tripled its height and added setbacks ('The Porches??')...

They've already lost the western views from the outdoor area, and with increased demand for individual outdoor space, I'm sure the extra terraces (with actual skyline views) would be scooped up.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 8:37 AM

Quote:
True. Doesn’t need to be a freestanding building though.

I’ve always thought that “hole” in River North would be perfect for a massive, multi-block development. I’m pretty sure I came back from a trip to Berlin when I was like 15 and wanted to build something like Potsdamer Platz there. You could even bury parts of Ontario and Clark (not below grade, but under a raised plaza built over them) and make it a pretty awesome public space.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
True. Doesn’t need to be a freestanding building though.

I’ve always thought that “hole” in River North would be perfect for a massive, multi-block development. I’m pretty sure I came back from a trip to Berlin when I was like 15 and wanted to build something like Potsdamer Platz there. You could even bury parts of Ontario and Clark (not below grade, but under a raised plaza built over them) and make it a pretty awesome public space.
Clark is already a pretty awesome public place - for the people who live and work there - just a few blocks to the south.

For the winter months they go all out with "temporary" shelters complete with TV (for the game) and heaters. Even the cannabis shop has a waiting area marked off in the street.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 4:54 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
American cities should really have curb side pumps like some European cities (notably Paris). But then American car manufacturers would have to put the tank opening on the correct (passenger) side.
We used to, back in the early days of motoring. I always assumed they were eliminated for fire safety reasons. That was part of it, but it seems they were eliminated because they backed up traffic and offended the American's right to drive freely at high speed.

https://www.google.com/books/edition...sec=frontcover

It looks like even in Paris, most of the stations are American-style off-street stations with a canopy, just more compact and wedged between buildings. Or they're built into underground parking garages. A quick survey on Google Maps only shows a small number of those curbside pumps.
This one in the 6e has a sidewalk wide enough that they just carved a pumping area out of the sidewalk. This one is on the service road of a boulevard, so it doesn't back up traffic on the main portion.

Last edited by ardecila; Jan 6, 2022 at 5:09 PM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 11:28 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Google Maps 3D view is now back to showing Chicago projects through mid-2020 (roughly), what was previously shown months ago, before they somehow decided to revert back to late 2018/early 2019..

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Google Maps 3D view is now back to showing Chicago projects through mid-2020 (roughly), what was previously shown months ago, before they somehow decided to revert back to late 2018/early 2019..
Sadly everything west of des plaines is still 2018, so no new WL stuff

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 9:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Clark is already a pretty awesome public place - for the people who live and work there - just a few blocks to the south.

For the winter months they go all out with "temporary" shelters complete with TV (for the game) and heaters. Even the cannabis shop has a waiting area marked off in the street.
Yeah but that’s the nice bit of Clark where a handful of original buildings remain.

It would be nice to do something with the big hole that was more than just a few separate condo towers on pedestals.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
Thanks rgarri - the height bump on the northern tower is fairly significant and helps break up the cluster. If only 'The Porch' tripled its height and added setbacks ('The Porches??')...

They've already lost the western views from the outdoor area, and with increased demand for individual outdoor space, I'm sure the extra terraces (with actual skyline views) would be scooped up.
Yeah I can't stand this space. I was so excited when they shut the BP and started demolition only to be totally crushed when they were just building a newer BP lol. The McDonalds wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't a full 1 acre parking lot next door. Rainforest Cafe recently closed and I think Conlon is shopping this around for something possibly a residential tower IIRC so that could be the start of some redevelopment here. I could see Hard Rock going eventually too. But the McDonalds/Portillos/BP triumvirate will be hard to break. Same with Ohio House.

I had the same fantasy if the McDonald's block became a huge public park or something and everything go built up around it that would be super amazing although I have 0 idea how that could even happen.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post

As sh**** as the pandemic has been one positive has been this trend of out door dining and closing streets like shown on Clark here. The mayor's office has discussed making stuff like this more permanent and so this is positive news. I looking into this and recently learned about 'Open Streets' initiatives in both Chicago and New York that I thought I'd share. I know there is a kind of festival/cultural plan for closing streets in Chicago as well - I'm not sure if this is the same thing.

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept...enstreets.html
https://www1.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/p...nstreets.shtml

Edit: Ok I found it, the 'Chicago Alfresco Program.'

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...togallery.html
https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept.../alfresco.html

As much incompetence as the city often exemplifies, I have to hand it to them that they are doing a great job on this.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 1:49 PM

^ Just as long as they’re not like the NYC “street fairs” that would always close streets and make it impossible to get anywhere in a cab, just so the same bullshit corporate foodservice vendors selling hot dogs, bad churros and cotton candy could set up on a different avenue every weekend.

These things are only worthwhile if they’re hyper local, only allow small businesses and highlight the local community.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations