HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #19801  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 11:32 PM
rivernorthlurker rivernorthlurker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Chicago
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
According to the State's timeline, the Thompson Center redevelopment will be selected some time this month: https://www2.illinois.gov/sites/Thom...ges/About.aspx
I know there was some chatter about JP Morgan possibly wanting a new tower. Only a few blocks away would make it an easy transition for their workforce. Someone make sure Mr Dimon gets this memo!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19802  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 11:50 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 21,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
Just a mention but the landlord I used to rent from recently completed a 5 story apartment building and it isn’t using gas. It can, it’s installed. There’s a geothermal system but it performed better than expected so the gas isn’t being used to run furnaces. It was a benefit of using high quality windows, load bearing masonry for thermal mass, and efficient HVAC
Plus, Peoples Gas are a bunch of nitwits, so there's that as well....
__________________
The only thing better than a V10 is a V12
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19803  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 5:02 AM
BVictor1's Avatar
BVictor1 BVictor1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,967
1400 S. Wabash

12.07.21



__________________
titanic1
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19804  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 3:14 PM
r18tdi's Avatar
r18tdi r18tdi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
I know there was some chatter about JP Morgan possibly wanting a new tower. Only a few blocks away would make it an easy transition for their workforce. Someone make sure Mr Dimon gets this memo!
Yes, but it would be a shame to see the JRTC fall for a 800-foot blue glass econo box
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19805  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 4:28 PM
Ned.B Ned.B is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Yes, but it would be a shame to see the JRTC fall for a 800-foot blue glass econo box
Don't be surprised if Chase's new Chicago flagship doesn't even reach close to 800 feet. Some of the proposals that I have seen have been under 700, including a Thompson Center proposal. I wouldn't expect anything that transforms the skyline from them. My read is they basically just want what BofA and BMO just got.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19806  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 4:52 PM
rivernorthlurker rivernorthlurker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Chicago
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
Don't be surprised if Chase's new Chicago flagship doesn't even reach close to 800 feet. Some of the proposals that I have seen have been under 700, including a Thompson Center proposal. I wouldn't expect anything that transforms the skyline from them. My read is they basically just want what BofA and BMO just got.
That's a shame. Was hoping they'd want to 'one up' both BoA and BMO. Their new building in NYC is definitely built with intention to impress over just functionality. I was hoping maybe that could carry over into a new building in Chicago as well. But maybe they only care about their headquarters.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19807  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 6:02 PM
skysoar skysoar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
That's a shame. Was hoping they'd want to 'one up' both BoA and BMO. Their new building in NYC is definitely built with intention to impress over just functionality. I was hoping maybe that could carry over into a new building in Chicago as well. But maybe they only care about their headquarters.
Well do we know that all of the bidders for the Thompson Center redevelopment for example is Chase Bank related? Could it be that some of the other bidders have some other corporations in mind involving greater height, hopefully we will find out soon. It also would be nice to see some of those proposed drawings for Chase Bank mentioned being seen by Ned B.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19808  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 7:37 PM
chicubs111 chicubs111 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,222
The size of of Thompson center lot and amount of zoning changes that they wanted for this site to building something very sizeable. Def not under 700ft... I would be disappointed to see anything under 1000ft to be honest. This is basically the last remaining large lot left in the central loop to build something sizeable.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19809  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 7:58 PM
left of center's Avatar
left of center left of center is offline
1st Ward
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: The Big Onion
Posts: 2,338
^ Exactly. It really is the last full block site right in the center of the CBD. Anything short of a supertall there would be a disappointment, especially considering the excellent transit access.
__________________
"Eventually, I think Chicago will be the most beautiful great city left in the world." -Frank Lloyd Wright
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19810  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 8:05 PM
r18tdi's Avatar
r18tdi r18tdi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
The size of of Thompson center lot and amount of zoning changes that they wanted for this site to building something very sizeable.
Yes but so far no developer has asked for a zoning change. The alderman submitted an ordinance for the site to revert back to original DC-16 zoning, but that's it. And just because someone can build Willis Tower height and density, it doesn't mean developers open their wallets and go that route. A building in the BoA/BMO class is a safer bet.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19811  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 8:13 PM
rivernorthlurker rivernorthlurker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Chicago
Posts: 818
JP Morgan said they are looking up to 1 million square feet, so that would not be so easy to fit in a sub 700 footer but possible. Riverside and River Point are 1.2 million sqft and 1.0 million sqft respectively at around 730' for comparison. Hopefully they go for mixed use as an anchor tenant and then the building could be much larger.

The following article mentions Tishman Speyer's proposal at 130 N Franklin for JPMorgan which is 1.1 million leaseable sq ft on their website - though of course they could change the design substantially. But this would fit the 1 million JP Morgan desires well. Additionaly Tishman Speyer is the developer for 270 Park in New York. Methinks maybe they go with 130 N Franklin for the ease of working with the same developer. We'll see.

https://chicagoconstructionnews.com/...o-development/

Also the city apparently gave Tishman 1 more year due to Covid to get 130 N Franklin going with a deadline of September 24, 2022. So maybe that will push them to get a deal closed next year - JP or not. https://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/...-blames-covid/

There could be new towers at both 130 Franklin and Thompson Center soon...

Last edited by rivernorthlurker; Dec 9, 2021 at 8:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19812  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 8:33 PM
Zapatan's Avatar
Zapatan Zapatan is offline
DENNAB
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NA - Europe
Posts: 5,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
This is basically the last remaining large lot left in the central loop to build something sizeable.
Yea, question is, how could anyone have such little ambition to build a 7-800 foot building here? Even from a financial standpoint I would imagine it would make sense to go taller / more SF given the location, especially mixed use.

They're tearing down the freaking Thompson Center, a Chicago landmark, for what? A building that isn't at all tall by the city's standards?

Quote:
There could be new towers at both 130 Franklin and Thompson Center soon...
I wonder what the odds of a supertall, or at least 900+ footer are there
__________________
Dump Trump 2020
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19813  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 9:27 PM
chicubs111 chicubs111 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Yes but so far no developer has asked for a zoning change. The alderman submitted an ordinance for the site to revert back to original DC-16 zoning, but that's it. And just because someone can build Willis Tower height and density, it doesn't mean developers open their wallets and go that route. A building in the BoA/BMO class is a safer bet.
How would you even know that regarding the zoning change since they havent even released the proposals/developers bidding the for site?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19814  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 10:35 PM
r18tdi's Avatar
r18tdi r18tdi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
JP Morgan said they are looking up to 1 million square feet, so that would not be so easy to fit in a sub 700 footer but possible. Riverside and River Point are 1.2 million sqft and 1.0 million sqft respectively at around 730' for comparison.
The JRTC site is much fatter. A new building could easily accommodate 1 million sqf within a 400-500 footer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19815  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 11:22 PM
rivernorthlurker rivernorthlurker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Chicago
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
The JRTC site is much fatter. A new building could easily accommodate 1 million sqf within a 400-500 footer.
Bummer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19816  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 11:59 PM
marothisu marothisu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 6,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
The JRTC site is much fatter. A new building could easily accommodate 1 million sqf within a 400-500 footer.
Yeah that short of a tower is probably not going to happen for someone trying to compete with others who have larger towers (B of A and BMO for example).
__________________
Chicago Maps:
* New Construction https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...B0&usp=sharing
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19817  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 12:04 AM
bnk's Avatar
bnk bnk is offline
પટેલ. કે ન
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: chicagoland
Posts: 11,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
^ Exactly. It really is the last full block site right in the center of the CBD. Anything short of a supertall there would be a disappointment, especially considering the excellent transit access.
Are you talking about taking down the Thompson center or a tall addtion that Jahn wanted?

Because the footprint is small with the TC still there.


https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8851...6314737,18.81z


Was the location of the high rise addition to be on the south east bit of land that is currently the plaza?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19818  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 12:33 AM
ithakas's Avatar
ithakas ithakas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
The JRTC site is much fatter. A new building could easily accommodate 1 million sqf within a 400-500 footer.
Hopefully we get Jahn's proposed reuse and tower addition, and Chase takes something like 130 Franklin or a lot near Sears if they want their own 700-footer.

Someday, with competent owners, Thompson Center could be known as Chicago's pantheon.

(Sorry, I just looked up photos of what used to be at Block 37 for the first time and it left a horrible taste in my mouth. They tore down the theater where North by Northwest premiered? )
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19819  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 12:35 AM
left of center's Avatar
left of center left of center is offline
1st Ward
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: The Big Onion
Posts: 2,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
Are you talking about taking down the Thompson center or a tall addtion that Jahn wanted?

Because the footprint is small with the TC still there.


https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8851...6314737,18.81z


Was the location of the high rise addition to be on the south east bit of land that is currently the plaza?
I was talking about taking it down completely since that appears to be what the winning bidder for the property is most likely to do.

Jahn did release renders for a 110 story supertall addition to the Thompson Center as a way to preserve it, but that project would still not really have addressed the issue of the building requiring over $300 million dollars in deferred maintenance as well as the vast insulating work/HVAC upgrades to keep the existing building from freezing in the winter and cooking in the summer. From a cost/benefits standpoint, it's unlikely any developer would sink that much money to save the existing structure unfortunately.

The proposed tower appears to have been on the southwest corner of the property:


Source: archdaily.com


Source: archdaily.com
__________________
"Eventually, I think Chicago will be the most beautiful great city left in the world." -Frank Lloyd Wright
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19820  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 12:50 AM
rivernorthlurker rivernorthlurker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Chicago
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
I was talking about taking it down completely since that appears to be what the winning bidder for the property is most likely to do.

Jahn did release renders for a 110 story supertall addition to the Thompson Center as a way to preserve it, but that project would still not really have addressed the issue of the building requiring over $300 million dollars in deferred maintenance as well as the vast insulating work/HVAC upgrades to keep the existing building from freezing in the winter and cooking in the summer. From a cost/benefits standpoint, it's unlikely any developer would sink that much money to save the existing structure unfortunately.

The proposed tower appears to have been on the southwest corner of the property:


Source: archdaily.com


Source: archdaily.com
This is the good stuff lol. Too good to be true.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:48 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.