HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 2:35 AM
In the long run...

Great news!!!!!!

Last edited by JMKeynes; Jul 9, 2021 at 2:53 AM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 3:32 AM
Small but Mighty

401 S. Wacker drive is the property next to Enwave on the south side of Van Buren, just for clarity's sack in case anyone is wondering. The property next to 311 S. Wacker is currently under Murphy development ownership and under the 321 S. Wacker address. I can't officially find who owns the 401 S wacker piece of land, but I assume it's Hines, or maybe they're partnering with Enwave?

My question is, how can that small piece of land be large enough even for a million square foot + office tower? That would be even skinnier than Salesforce tower!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
That cooling building will never go away...it's like a data-center - lots of connections and major impacts to relocating
That is what I suspected. I imagine that even if they rebuilt something somewhat close by (like across the river and south of Congress) that it would take multiple years before this thing could even be torn down.

Couldn't the parking lot theoretically hold a building of this size?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 4:00 AM

Why are we ruling out the parking lot for the of 311 S Wacker, 333s wacker? And the OPO has an empty plaza on the riverfront.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Tree View Post
401 S. Wacker drive is the property next to Enwave on the south side of Van Buren, just for clarity's sack in case anyone is wondering. The property next to 311 S. Wacker is currently under Murphy development ownership and under the 321 S. Wacker address. I can't officially find who owns the 401 S wacker piece of land, but I assume it's Hines, or maybe they're partnering with Enwave?
Hines agreed to purchase the property in 2019. No documents filed for the Enwave parcel.

PIN 17-16-237-006 & 17-16-237-007
Memorandum of Purchase and Sale Agreement (dated 9/16/19 recorded 10/15/19)
between 401 S WACKER ASSOCIATES LLC and HINES INTERESTS LP

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 5:48 AM

West Loop Metra station is happening, alderman says

Quote:
A long-rumored infill Metra rail station for the booming Fulton Market District could be constructed just west of Odgen Avenue—that is if funding can be found.

New details on the transit project emerged at a virtual community meeting to discuss a 19-story life science development slated for nearby 400 N. Elizabeth Street. Chicago developer Mark Goodman said the Chicago Department of Transportation (CDOT) requested his building include a pedestrian greenway along a vacated stretch of Kinzie Street to connect to the future station, which would be located on the opposite side of Ogden in between the two sets of Union Pacific tracks.

"They have designed—and they asked us not to share the rendering, but I can describe it—a platform that runs from Ogden all the way to Ashland so that the Metra station could connect with the CTA line at Ashland," Goodman said. "I think would be a very positive benefit for the community."
https://urbanize.city/chicago/post/w...n-ogden-kinzie

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 2:54 PM

I would love it if the rumored 98 stories building’s design is similar to One Vanderbilt in NYC. I’m obsessed with that skyscraper and I always thought it would’ve looked really good in the Chicago skyline. The top of the building with the spire is my favorite aspect of the design so I hope the design for this rumored building is unique, not just another box shaped skyscrapers that we’ve gotten lately lol

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive View Post
I would love it if the rumored 98 stories building’s design is similar to One Vanderbilt in NYC. I’m obsessed with that skyscraper and I always thought it would’ve looked really good in the Chicago skyline. The top of the building with the spire is my favorite aspect of the design so I hope the design for this rumored building is unique, not just another box shaped skyscrapers that we’ve gotten lately lol
You will get a blue Goettsch box and you will like it.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 3:11 PM
In the long run...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive View Post
So is there going to be a new JP Morgan Chase tower and a new 98 story "Aussie" building in the Loop, or is this the same project? The JPMC story is obviously credible, I wonder if the Aussie building is. If so, that's GREAT news!!

The world's best skyline may be getting even more amazing!!
https://offloadmedia.feverup.com/sec...3447108152.jpg

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; Jul 9, 2021 at 4:13 PM. Reason: please use hyperlinks for unsourced and off topic images

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It is probably the most remote of possibilities of the mentioned sites, but it's not completely out of the question. Banks like Chase do have a ton of young/young-ish tech workers and just like many other tech companies, continue to look to attract the same types of workers for the most part in a quieter manner. If they were looking to lease something like 250K-350K sq ft instead of 1M sq ft then Fulton Market might make even more sense. At the same time though, they want to sometimes be seen as more hip.

At the same time though, my money is on 130 N Franklin or the Madison site if getting a new site is truly what the deal is.
You have to remember that Sam still believes that the West Loop is a terrible, irrational, location for office and that it will fail as a neighborhood. He's been saying for years that McDonald's and others are making a huge mistake locating West of the Kennedy.

Obviously his position on the area is looking increasingly loony with each passing month.

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
So is there going to be a new JP Morgan Chase tower and a new 98 story "Aussie" building in the Loop, or is this the same project? The JPMC story is obviously credible, I wonder if the Aussie building is. If so, that's GREAT news!!

The world's best skyline may be getting even more amazing!!
https://offloadmedia.feverup.com/sec...3447108152.jpg
Wow, thanks so much for that pic. Hadn't seen it. I love the colored lighting and how modern it makes the skyline look. I love Chicago's coordinated lighting program/committee however it happens. MOAR please.

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; Jul 9, 2021 at 4:14 PM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 3:57 PM
In the long run...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
Wow, thanks so much for that pic. Hadn't seen it. I love the colored lighting and how modern it makes the skyline look. I love Chicago's coordinated lighting program/committee however it happens. MOAR please.
My pleasure! I found it on Google. I didn’t see a name to credit though.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 4:37 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
You have to remember that Sam still believes that the West Loop is a terrible, irrational, location for office and that it will fail as a neighborhood. He's been saying for years that McDonald's and others are making a huge mistake locating West of the Kennedy.

Obviously his position on the area is looking increasingly loony with each passing month.

"It will fail as a neighborhood." LOL Where have I stated that? I think no such thing.

Does Fulton Market make sense from an urban planning and transportation standpoint for a large concentration of office buildings in the several hundreds of thousands of square feet? No, and that's as true as ever. That's all my position has been.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 4:58 PM

For what it's worth, everyone I know on the North and South sides HATE the commute to Fulton Market because no easy way to get there outside of driving.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
For what it's worth, everyone I know on the North and South sides HATE the commute to Fulton Market because no easy way to get there outside of driving.
Unless you're lucky enough to live near the green line, and then it's the best

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 5:34 PM

I'm moving this here from the 78 thread so as not to derail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippenstein
How would you feel about 401 S Wacker Dr if the chilling plant was relocated and they had that whole site?
Maybe you know something I don't, but that seems far too complex and expensive to be realistic.

If Block 37 had to wrap around the ComEd station on Dearborn, I assume 401 S Wacker will also need to deal with the chilling plant as a permanent neighbor.
To be clear, I don't have any information about relocating the Enwave plant. It was purely hypothetical. You are probably right, but I still wonder if it would be possible to build over the plant or somehow incorporate it into the design. As far as I can tell, one of their cooling plants is in the BCBS tower and another is in the basement of Merchandise Mart.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 5:42 PM

I used to design/build Chase office projects. Even 5 years ago, Chase was ready to get out of the current Chase Tower. I have since been hearing more and more chatter about a new tower. There is a strong appetite for a signature/name-sake tower. Lots of discussions after BoA and BMO did their own towers.

My assumption is they are doing their due diligence on older buildings to cross them out, otherwise, they would just renovate Chase Tower itself (which is iconic in its own right). CTC just isn't up to pair for a tenant of that size. Chase had been increasingly moving people over to the Citidel tower to take advantage of the infrastructure.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_steve View Post
I used to design/build Chase office projects. Even 5 years ago, Chase was ready to get out of the current Chase Tower. I have since been hearing more and more chatter about a new tower. There is a strong appetite for a signature/name-sake tower. Lots of discussions after BoA and BMO did their own towers.

My assumption is they are doing their due diligence on older buildings to cross them out, otherwise, they would just renovate Chase Tower itself (which is iconic in its own right). CTC just isn't up to pair for a tenant of that size. Chase had been increasingly moving people over to the Citidel tower to take advantage of the infrastructure.
Exciting stuff. If they're building a new 1400 footer in Midtown, building a 1000 footer in Chicago should be no problem.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 6:27 PM

Imagining Tribune East here.

Wasn't sure where to post this. Didn't want to be 'that guy' and post in the Tribune East thread...

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 6:56 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
West Loop Metra station is happening, alderman says

"They have designed—and they asked us not to share the rendering, but I can describe it—a platform that runs from Ogden all the way to Ashland so that the Metra station could connect with the CTA line at Ashland," Goodman said. "I think would be a very positive benefit for the community."
Say whaaa? That would be an impossibly long and convoluted platform I would think. Unless I'm missing something.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations