HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals


    130 North Franklin in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #201  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 1:15 PM
UPChicago's Avatar
UPChicago UPChicago is offline
Vote for me for Mayor!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
Next cycle? Do you mean next year? They might as well not be going through the planning commission at all if they're planning on next cycle.



I think we can rule out Tishman building on spec. They are most likely just still shopping for an anchor tenant nothing too concerning here. You don't stop doing maintenance on a property out of speculation.
Exactly, this building cycle just began. Anything being proposed now that isn't build in this cycle will likely end up cancelled in my opinion.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #202  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 2:15 PM
hawainpanda hawainpanda is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
In regards to 130 n Franklin, I have a feeling that tishman is gunning for the first one to start an office building next cycle. At this point I think they just want to get everything set up before starting.
I'm not even sure what constitutes the "beginning" or "end" of a cycle....Chicago is constantly building, with the exception of the recent recession was there ever a year Chicago did not have at least 5 projects underconstruction?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #203  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 2:19 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is offline
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 26,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawainpanda View Post
with the exception of the recent recession was there ever a year Chicago did not have at least 5 projects under construction?
yes. pretty much every year in the 1990s after the commercial real estate crash in the early '90s.

it was a painfully boring time for skyscraper construction fans in chicago (and most other US cities).
__________________
"every time a strip mall dies, an angel gets its wings"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #204  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 5:24 PM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
Next cycle? Do you mean next year? They might as well not be going through the planning commission at all if they're planning on next cycle.



I think we can rule out Tishman building on spec. They are most likely just still shopping for an anchor tenant nothing too concerning here. You don't stop doing maintenance on a property out of speculation.



Yeah, absolutely.

Certainly if we were to go through a downturn much earlier than most expect, than Tishman Speyer would be well-positioned to be first out of the gates for next cycle.

However, most think that this cycle has some really decent legs still, and thus a favorable office demand outlook for the next few years, so base case I believe Tishman is fully planning to - as they've said earlier this year - start this one by year-end 2016. I wouldn't read too much into them resurfacing the parking lot, if it's potentially got (up to) another 12-15 months of revenue producing life to it. They are speaking with tenants right now, as they continue to over the coming months and quarters until they land their anchor(s). Now, if they were planning to start work by the end of this year - or even first part of next year, that would be very strange to redo the lot this summer.....but that was never the case......

I think this one really has the potential to be one of the absolute design gems of this boom/cycle. I think this is one of those cases in which the design of this office project will result in a true competitive advantage in the market for tenants - that's very much not always the case with new office towers.......but here I think it will really be at least one significant draw for multiple tenants that Tishman WILL land.....
__________________
It's simple, really - try not to design or build trash.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #205  
Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 11:36 PM
BVictor1's Avatar
BVictor1 BVictor1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,972
Yeah, went to plan commission and I asked around...

130 N. Franklin passed.
__________________
titanic1

Last edited by Steely Dan; Aug 21, 2015 at 4:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #206  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2015, 1:50 PM
aaron38's Avatar
aaron38 aaron38 is offline
312
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Palatine
Posts: 4,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Yeah, went to plan commission and I asked around...
130 N. Franklin passed.
Does that mean they're clear to build? Is construction expected to start soon?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #207  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 2:03 PM
go go white sox go go white sox is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 160
http://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/2...orth-franklin/

I think this is and will be my favorite project so far. It's going to be a beauty
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #208  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 3:32 PM
sentinel's Avatar
sentinel sentinel is offline
Plenary pleasures.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Does that mean they're clear to build? Is construction expected to start soon?
Most likely when they reach a certain financing threshold...speaking of, has there ever been anything announced for this building, in terms of financing?
__________________
Don't be shy. Step into the light.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #209  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 4:50 PM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,378
^ No, but keep in mind that Tishman Speyer's previously mentioned target for groundbreaking here is very late 2016.......so a lot of time still to land an anchor tenant and nail down financing and still be able to hit that timeline goal........
__________________
It's simple, really - try not to design or build trash.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #210  
Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 2:08 AM
munchymunch's Avatar
munchymunch munchymunch is offline
MPLSXCHI
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Posts: 1,070
They changed the song in the video.

It's now dull and generic.
__________________
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." -Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #211  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 5:35 PM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,378
Website now up

Stand-alone website has been launched - link below. Previously, it had only been a page (or pages) on the Tishman Speyer company website.


http://www.130northfranklin.com/
__________________
It's simple, really - try not to design or build trash.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #212  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 5:39 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is offline
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 26,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Stand-alone website has been launched - link below. Previously, it had only been a page (or pages) on the Tishman Speyer company website.


http://www.130northfranklin.com/
the stacking plan on the website clearly shows a building with 50 floors, not 53 as we previously had heard, so maybe this one has been downsized a touch?

losing 3 floors would equal roughly 42', bringing this one down to the 710' range.
__________________
"every time a strip mall dies, an angel gets its wings"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #213  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 5:51 PM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,378
^ I know it seems odd saying this (as it's the developers' own site!), but I wouldn't assume that it's 50 instead of 53.......I've seen it so many times - and just recently - that info exactly such as this posted and presumably updated on the developer's own site, is not what the developer is presently planning to build: It took Hines quite some time to update their website to the expanded (by I think 3-4 floors) version of RiverPoint (after it was widely known that they did upsize) for example......also, Buck (I'm not checking right now, if it's recently been changed) I think still has its website stacking plan for 151 at 32 floors, even though they've really been at 36 for the last nearly 2 years (that's caused some confusion here as well).......these office developers don't design these websites really for the public, they design them for tenants and tenant brokers, etc........most tenants could care less if a building is 53 vs 50 stories - or 36 vs 32 stories (unless they are planned to go on floors 51-52, or 33-35!!).....it's other info and details they are most concerned with (and a lot of them aren't going to a public website necessarily even to get those).....
__________________
It's simple, really - try not to design or build trash.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #214  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 6:21 PM
BVictor1's Avatar
BVictor1 BVictor1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^ I know it seems odd saying this (as it's the developers' own site!), but I wouldn't assume that it's 50 instead of 53.......I've seen it so many times - and just recently - that info exactly such as this posted and presumably updated on the developer's own site, is not what the developer is presently planning to build: It took Hines quite some time to update their website to the expanded (by I think 3-4 floors) version of RiverPoint (after it was widely known that they did upsize) for example......also, Buck (I'm not checking right now, if it's recently been changed) I think still has its website stacking plan for 151 at 32 floors, even though they've really been at 36 for the last nearly 2 years (that's caused some confusion here as well).......these office developers don't design these websites really for the public, they design them for tenants and tenant brokers, etc........most tenants could care less if a building is 53 vs 50 stories - or 36 vs 32 stories (unless they are planned to go on floors 51-52, or 33-35!!).....it's other info and details they are most concerned with (and a lot of them aren't going to a public website necessarily even to get those).....
Perhaps, but this site was just launched and you'd think that have the most current information on it.
__________________
titanic1
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #215  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 6:51 PM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,378
^ I've learned through experience not to think that.........
__________________
It's simple, really - try not to design or build trash.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #216  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 10:18 PM
Tom Servo's Avatar
Tom Servo Tom Servo is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,647
Big fan. Will fit in nicely with all the other gigantic Franklin towers.

Krueck + Sexton need more work.


Reply With Quote
     
     
  #217  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 10:38 PM
i_am_hydrogen i_am_hydrogen is offline
tilted & shifted
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,606
^Daaamn! I just soiled myself.
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #218  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 11:47 PM
munchymunch's Avatar
munchymunch munchymunch is offline
MPLSXCHI
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Posts: 1,070
No Kidding, this building is a fucking Masterpiece.
__________________
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." -Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #219  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 11:54 PM
marothisu marothisu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 6,298
Really hope they don't mess up the glass. I really like the design.
__________________
Chicago Maps:
* New Construction https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...B0&usp=sharing
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #220  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 6:27 PM
patriotizzy's Avatar
patriotizzy patriotizzy is offline
Metal Up Your !
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,585
That base looks like a stunner. I can just imagine walking up to those shiny steel columns and looking up at the super tall ceiling in complete awe.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:21 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.