HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Salesforce Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 12:19 AM

So the tallest will be a little taller than 900 N Michigan, the next tallest a little taller than Chicago Title and trust. That's a lot of height. If this project is fully realized, it will make a big impact.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolch View Post
So the tallest will be a little taller than 900 N Michigan, the next tallest a little taller than Chicago Title and trust. That's a lot of height. If this project is fully realized, it will make a big impact.
I think it will definitely be built, the Kennedy's have been planning it since 2007, and are finally getting ready to propose it.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 3:01 AM

http://www.suntimes.com/12408740-417...rman-says.html

Wolf Point plan could include 80-story building, alderman says
BY DAVID ROEDER Business Reporter droeder@suntimes.com May 8, 2012 9:16PM

Already posted to the Wolf Point thread.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 3:09 AM

http://www.suntimes.com/12408740-417...rman-says.html

Wolf Point plan could include 80-story building, alderman says
BY DAVID ROEDER Business Reporter droeder@suntimes.com May 8, 2012 9:16PM

The developers of downtown’s Wolf Point property along the Chicago River have proposed three towers, one of which could be 900 feet tall, Ald. Brendan Reilly (42nd) said Tuesday.
Reilly, whose ward covers most of downtown, said the other proposed towers would be 750 feet and 525 feet. Depending on the design, the height could be equivalent to about 80, 60 and 50 stories.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 3:23 AM

Fantastic news! After all of the cancellations and delays of the last few years hopefully this 900 footer will go through.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 3:23 AM
The City

^ "Residents have complained to Reilly about traffic congestion"

Lets move to the commercial & cultural center of a megapolis of nearly 10 million people and complain about the traffic! DUH! Yeah, I'm really that stupid!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 4:19 AM

I'm trying to figure out if a 900' tower at wolf point would have any impact on the skyline, especially from the "postcard shot" of Grant Park. It might pop up between United building and Chicago Title and Trust (or whatever it is called now) if Waterview doesn't get built above some height. I can't tell if that'll line up - probably not. It'd be a nice consolation for the failure of a Waterview proposal that is most recent.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 4:19 AM

2 towers and a 115 story building sound better.

Will have to scrutinize this proposal at the meeting.

Looking forward to hearing more.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 4:24 AM

^^^
I hope you are joking, because, if I were a developer trying to get a 900' tower up in Chicago in this economic climate and some guy came in telling me it isn't tall enough, I'd flip a sh#t. And then laugh in his face. If it is a joke though, I laughed (I'm just not sure if it was with or at you). Either way, thanks for adding some joviality to my day!
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Last edited by ChiPhi; May 9, 2012 at 4:49 AM.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
2 towers and a 115 story building sound better.

Will have to scrutinize this proposal at the meeting.

Looking forward to hearing more.
Don't scrutinize this proposal, but maybe try to get this to be a supertall!

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 5:10 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPhi View Post
^^^

And I can't imagine why the apparel mart would put any money into addressing the Kinzie entrance - there is nothing there but a storage place and it is cut off by a viaduct on one side and a bridge on the other. Moreover, I don't really see how this project could serve as an impetus for that. Plus, I imagine that that area is a loading dock / warehouse-type area given the fact that there is a loading dock and it is in the basement. Does anyone know what is down there? If its just mechanical I really can't imagine that will ever get better. Plus, if something were to be changed about the building, I'd choose the color of that cement (which hundreds of thousands if not millions of people see per year) over the Kinzie entrance (which a few locals deal with).

Have you been on Kinzie lately? It has a LOT of pedestrian traffic. The K2 developments and Riverbend or whatever it's called and the place across from it, that building at Grand, EnV, they've all changed that street immensely in the past few years. Now you have that big residential building going in on Hubbard, and a thousand units in this Wolf Point thing, plus the last K2 building going in by Kedzie and the Kennedy. Then there will be the 200 N Canal thing. And that corner of Canal and Kedzie will eventually go residential, to, I bet. Throw in Wolf Point and you'd be talking about something like an additional 3,000-4,000 more people within a five minute walk of there, with it being one possible route between half of that population and the nearest Brown Line station and a significant portion of that population walking to work in the Loop or near-Loop. You already have solid retail on Kedzie east of Orleans, so it's not a stretch to think it could get pulled west of there.

Posters on here made fun of me for suggesting that triangle parking lot at Kinzie and Kingsbury as a plaza, but seriously people, I ride my bike on Kinzie to work and no only is it jammed with cars, but it's loaded with pedestrians. you can't completely rid the Apparel of the loading docks, but I'd think there are things that could be done to make it more interactive. There is retail directly against that wall on the Orleans level, it just has no windows. At the very least they could put a staircase up to Orleans on that side, one that doesn't look like a mugger-trap like the current one on the north side of the street does.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 5:54 AM

Quote:
^^^
I hope you are joking, because, if I were a developer trying to get a 900' tower up in Chicago in this economic climate and some guy came in telling me it isn't tall enough, I'd flip a sh#t. And then laugh in his face. If it is a joke though, I laughed (I'm just not sure if it was with or at you). Either way, thanks for adding some joviality to my day!
I wasn't joking and you aren't the developer.

Glad to lift your spirits

That's why I said 2 towers instead of 3. Re-shift programming and financing.

I can dream.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 6:07 AM

The K-stuff probably does have a huge impact on this block, good point. I still don't know how feasible this sort of thing is. If it is necessary loading dock stuff and utilities, it would be cost prohibitive I bet. Plus I don't really see what is in it for the building owners unless they put retail down there, which I suppose would be quite attractive considering the foot traffic. Maybe lobby Reilly (I imagine this is his turf) for new stairs... On the bright side, brick is better than precast for a giant blank wall...

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 6:20 AM

Towers get exponentially more expensive as the height is raised.. I assume you know that, just wanted to give my reasoning as to why they might hold off on a supertall. Depending on current spire height, though, I sustain that they should raise the spire a hundred feet or so just so they can claim to be a supertall...

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 6:35 AM

This will become the 8th tallest building in Chicago, right behind 311 south wacker! Here is an idea what it might look like in the skyline

and another idea

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 6:40 AM

Quote:
Towers get exponentially more expensive as the height is raised.. I assume you know that, just wanted to give my reasoning as to why they might hold off on a supertall. Depending on current spire height, though, I sustain that they should raise the spire a hundred feet or so just so they can claim to be a supertall...
Yes, I know.....

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I was thinking they should do, make it 274 meters to the roof, then add a 46 meter spire, to bring it to 320 meters, it would be Chicago's 5th tallest building

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 7:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Yes, I know.....
He's new here.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 7:11 AM

Adorable. Can we pin these to the forum refrigerator?

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 7:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
Adorable. Can we pin these to the forum refrigerator?
They are not supposed to look that great, just a rough visual representation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive