HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #19001  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 10:14 PM
CrestedSaguaro's Avatar
CrestedSaguaro CrestedSaguaro is offline
Modulator
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
isn't Chase basically functionally obsolete for office at this point? i could see redeveloping for residential (would need serious $ to pull off) but just don't see it attracting multiple office tenants. might be better to raze it and build something new...
That's my thoughts exactly. I think residential conversion would be too expensive to do on a 40-story tower. But I do think a mixed-use redevelopment would be do-able with some office, residential and maybe hotel space. I don't see Chase getting razed though, just the garage. If this were NYC, I could see the tower getting blown up. I just don't think Phoenix is there yet to rip down the states tallest tower to build something else.
__________________
Ronnie Garrett
https://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?memberID=205
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19002  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 10:38 PM
azliam azliam is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code5 View Post
God, I hate that parking lot structure across the street from Chase Tower.

I dig seeing Derby in the distance though.
I'm not a huge parking garage fan, but that parking garage sure came in handy on Saturday night. I took out-of-town family to downtown to hit some bars and restaurants. Tons of people including Dodgers fans parking there. No way in hell were we riding lightrail from North Phoenix in that heat. In a rush to get out of the heat on the way to our reservation at Little Rituals though, I did walk right past David Spade on the corner on Central and Jefferson while my family (taking their time) behind me got a chance to say hi to him.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19003  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 3:05 AM
combusean's Avatar
combusean combusean is online now
Skyriser
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Newark, California
Posts: 6,595
I've speculated that Chase might get demo'd but the fact is it's big enough that demolishing it would be on the same laborious and expensive scale as rehabbing it.

It'll probably sit vacant for a while, five years or so, before a residential/hotel conversion and garage redevelopment project. Definitely after things go back to normal as far as materials costs and hotel occupancy rates and the current batch of apartments is reasonably filled.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19004  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 3:31 AM
Diamonddave Diamonddave is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 297
With 2Q coming to a close and no ground breakings to speak of yet. Let's hope the next 2 quarters bring us some excitement.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19005  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 5:23 AM
ChaseM ChaseM is offline
Chase M
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Peoria, AZ
Posts: 77
I have no qualm with them eventually razing Chase Tower especially if they decide to put a nicer taller tower in it's place. I do however think if they do decide to do so they should make better use of the block by splitting the block into smaller parcels. I've never really liked the fact that the tower sits in the middle of the block with so much space around it, it's such a waste of space when you can fit multiple buildings/towers on a single block similar to the blocks that US Bank, 44 Monroe, Renaissance Center and so many others sit on.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19006  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 3:30 PM
somethingfast's Avatar
somethingfast somethingfast is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: In A Van Down By The River
Posts: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseM View Post
I have no qualm with them eventually razing Chase Tower especially if they decide to put a nicer taller tower in it's place. I do however think if they do decide to do so they should make better use of the block by splitting the block into smaller parcels. I've never really liked the fact that the tower sits in the middle of the block with so much space around it, it's such a waste of space when you can fit multiple buildings/towers on a single block similar to the blocks that US Bank, 44 Monroe, Renaissance Center and so many others sit on.
that's actually a good point. the size of the lot if demolished could allow several structures...so maybe demo'ing it could actually be feasible. one can hope, right? would be great to see 2 or 3 tall/slim towers emerge from that site since it really is emerging as the actual center of DT
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19007  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 3:54 PM
azsunsurfer azsunsurfer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,097
I heard the Duke Photography biz sold to another buyer who wants to continue the biz as is and that no raising canes will be happening, can anyone confirm? I read somewhere that the new owners are planning a walk-up coffee concept for part of the photography studio?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19008  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 4:02 PM
biggus diggus biggus diggus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2,812
That sounds like the kind of thing that started as a rumor on nextdoor, but it also sounds totally plausible. Hoping you heard right.
__________________
Mr. K the monopoly man
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19009  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 4:10 PM
exit2lef exit2lef is offline
self-important urbanista
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 2,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
I heard the Duke Photography biz sold to another buyer who wants to continue the biz as is and that no raising canes will be happening, can anyone confirm? I read somewhere that the new owners are planning a walk-up coffee concept for part of the photography studio?
Duke Photography already has plans to move to another location, so I don't think anyone will be acquiring the Duke business per se. It's possible that the owner that bought the property from Duke is now contemplating another transaction or use, but I haven't heard anything about that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19010  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 4:10 PM
azsunsurfer azsunsurfer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,097
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19011  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 4:13 PM
exit2lef exit2lef is offline
self-important urbanista
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 2,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Interesting. I have no idea what "collaborative bites" are, though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19012  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 4:21 PM
CrestedSaguaro's Avatar
CrestedSaguaro CrestedSaguaro is offline
Modulator
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,952
I feel this is a win. I will take this over a Raising Canes on that corner any day. The neighborhood finally picked the right fight for a change as this is a much better building to save than the Pink Liquor store.
__________________
Ronnie Garrett
https://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?memberID=205
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19013  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 4:31 PM
biggus diggus biggus diggus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2,812
great news! glad that turned out to have some traction. I'd be satisfied if dutch bros, raising caines and the like all just ceased to exist. That'll never happen so I'll just relish the fact that at least this one isn't happening.
__________________
Mr. K the monopoly man
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19014  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 6:53 PM
combusean's Avatar
combusean combusean is online now
Skyriser
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Newark, California
Posts: 6,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus
I'd be satisfied if dutch bros, raising caines and the like all just ceased to exist.
Jebus man, be careful when you talk like that, you just might get into affordable housing development next.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19015  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 12:26 AM
pbenjamin's Avatar
pbenjamin pbenjamin is offline
METRO: Encanto
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
That sounds like the kind of thing that started as a rumor on nextdoor, but it also sounds totally plausible. Hoping you heard right.
Actually, all that is on Nextdoor is speculation that the hearing being postponed until August is evidence that the neighborhoods are winning.
__________________
Paul
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19016  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 3:01 PM
DesertRay DesertRay is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
I did walk right past David Spade on the corner on Central and Jefferson while my family (taking their time) behind me got a chance to say hi to him.
Last time I saw David Spade in person was when (what was then called) America West Arena had just opened. He had his own "box" at a Team Tennis match. There were maybe 500 people in the Arena, and almost all of the tickets were comps. It was funny to see him looking around to see if anyone knew who he was. Back then, the garage you are talking about and America West Arena were pretty much the only things around. The more things change...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19017  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 8:49 PM
azsunsurfer azsunsurfer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,097
With the retractable roof I am surprised no one has had any ideas like retrofitting Chase to turn it into a Gaylord Hotel being so close to the convention center or possibly some sort of half indoor/ outdoor amusement park or water park where they can control the climate with the roof.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19018  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 5:26 PM
ChaseM ChaseM is offline
Chase M
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Peoria, AZ
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
that's actually a good point. the size of the lot if demolished could allow several structures...so maybe demo'ing it could actually be feasible. one can hope, right? would be great to see 2 or 3 tall/slim towers emerge from that site since it really is emerging as the actual center of DT
If you think about it thats two downtown blocks that could be divided into smaller parcels to allow for multiple towers/development as the tower block and garage block are basically a package deal. Two prime city blocks that can be entirely redeveloped.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19019  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 7:08 PM
somethingfast's Avatar
somethingfast somethingfast is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: In A Van Down By The River
Posts: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseM View Post
If you think about it thats two downtown blocks that could be divided into smaller parcels to allow for multiple towers/development as the tower block and garage block are basically a package deal. Two prime city blocks that can be entirely redeveloped.
yeah, totally dreaming here but i could see a couple residential towers, an office tower (all slim/tall ~ > 400 ft') and centerpiece observation tower at 700' ? now that would be something...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19020  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 9:55 PM
CrestedSaguaro's Avatar
CrestedSaguaro CrestedSaguaro is offline
Modulator
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
yeah, totally dreaming here but i could see a couple residential towers, an office tower (all slim/tall ~ > 400 ft') and centerpiece observation tower at 700' ? now that would be something...
It's a 500' limit on the Chase and garage block, lol. But I like where you're going
__________________
Ronnie Garrett
https://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?memberID=205
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:33 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.