HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Well, there is no point in coming to Plan Commission. No one can remember the last time they failed to approve every last item on their agenda.

Democracy in action!
What projects can you name that should have been rejected?

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Damn!

Why'd they bother getting rid of The Gap, then? Grade A tenant!
It's a bummer for sure. I was really looking forward to it as one of the few proposals for new residential use in the East Loop. There's the conversion of the Miller's Pub building, possibly a mixed-use conversion of the Big Red, and I imagine a residential use planned for the GSA buildings, but no other new construction proposals in the works that I know of. I don't know if there's been any movement with Pritzker Park either?

I want to see the more mixed-use nature of the East Loop continue to pick up steam and create a corridor of after-hours vibrancy that links Printers Row to River North and Lakeshore East. It's getting there slowly but surely, but the area from Congress to Washington still needs more.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 3:20 AM

^ Doesn't mean anything. They could be working on something but know it might take another year or two and find someone to be willing to lease out the space semi short term. That happened with 4 E Elm even - there was a wine shop in the previous building that signed on only a handful of months before it was demolished but they made a deal with them that they could have a retail space at 4 E Elm when complete

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ Doesn't mean anything. They could be working on something but know it might take another year or two and find someone to be willing to lease out the space semi short term. That happened with 4 E Elm even - there was a wine shop in the previous building that signed on only a handful of months before it was demolished but they made a deal with them that they could have a retail space at 4 E Elm when complete
Yeah, that was my hope when I first saw the leasing sign. Good to know there's a precedent.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 5:04 AM
Chicago

Centrum Hubbard - 221 W Hubbard

May 18, 2017

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 5:05 AM
Chicago

3Eleven - 311 W Illinois

May 18, 2017

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 5:06 AM
Chicago

The Bentham - 146 W Erie

May 18, 2017

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 5:07 AM
Chicago

Marlowe - 169 W Huron

May 18, 2017

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I think this sort of thing happens fairly often. For instance I think Dylan's Candy Bar was brought in with a fairly short lease, or maybe a yearly renewable lease so they could choose to terminate it when the redevelopment of the Tribune Tower gets going.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 2:19 PM

Just looked up the design of the Marlowe. I dont mind filing in unused space but for some reason it looks a little too "Miami-ish" to me. Anyone agree?

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 5:19 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWILLSKYLINE View Post
Just looked up the design of the Marlowe. I dont mind filing in unused space but for some reason it looks a little too "Miami-ish" to me. Anyone agree?
I like its design. Which is good, since I live across the street from it.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 6:03 PM

Quote:
In all honesty, the Blanc Chicago looks like the most Miami-ish project on Wells Street and it still looks like it fits the area pretty well. Speaking of which, wasn't this project supposed to start in the 1st quarter?

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 7:20 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
In all honesty, the Blanc Chicago looks like the most Miami-ish project on Wells Street and it still looks like it fits the area pretty well. Speaking of which, wasn't this project supposed to start in the 1st quarter?
I thought there was at least supposed to be news about it by March. Does it even have units listed in MLS yet?

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 8:33 PM

I'm not really bothered by the gap / old navy building hanging around for awhile. There's so many better candidates for redevelopment in the loop.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
I'm not really bothered by the gap / old navy building hanging around for awhile. There's so many better candidates for redevelopment in the loop.
How about a flagship banana republic until the tower comes to fruition?

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 10:03 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
What projects can you name that should have been rejected [by Plan Commission]?
Well, just yesterday, I don’t think they should have approved the North Branch Framework without providing for public parks. Hope is not a strategy. Or a tactic.

They shouldn’t have approved 1000M and the two 900-foot towers fronting Roosevelt that violate their own adopted plan. Same with X/O and Essex Inn. If the plan needs to be amended, do so. Don’t just ignore the law.

They shouldn’t have approved the British International School instead of a public park at Roosevelt Collection merely because the developer was crying poor.

They shouldn’t have approved the Lucas Museum so far from public transport, and in their role as overseers of the lakefront, where it blocked vistas of the lake.

They shouldn’t have approved the Childrens Museum or the Harris Theater in the protected part of Grant Park.

They shouldn’t have approved Ritz-Carlton Residences on the Mag Mile without the traditional 10th-floor setback.

They shouldn’t have approved Lurie Childrens Hospital without extending St. Clair north to Chicago Ave.

They shouldn’t have approved Legacy in a historic district.

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Well, just yesterday, I don’t think they should have approved the North Branch Framework without providing for public parks. Hope is not a strategy. Or a tactic.

They shouldn’t have approved 1000M and the two 900-foot towers fronting Roosevelt that violate their own adopted plan. Same with X/O and Essex Inn. If the plan needs to be amended, do so. Don’t just ignore the law.

They shouldn’t have approved the British International School instead of a public park at Roosevelt Collection merely because the developer was crying poor.

They shouldn’t have approved the Lucas Museum so far from public transport, and in their role as overseers of the lakefront, where it blocked vistas of the lake.

They shouldn’t have approved the Childrens Museum or the Harris Theater in the protected part of Grant Park.

They shouldn’t have approved Ritz-Carlton Residences on the Mag Mile without the traditional 10th-floor setback.

They shouldn’t have approved Lurie Childrens Hospital without extending St. Clair north to Chicago Ave.

Adopted plans are nothing written in stone, we've discussed this before. Even with the North Branch Framework, it's a framework, a rough outline that the city can choose to follow, amend, or ignore.

For CMH, to extend St. Clair north, it would have to have jogged around the hotel on Superior.

Lucas Museum wouldn't have blocked vistas to the lake as Northerly Island already does that. You can't see the lake from the parking lot as is.

The Children's Museum would have been no more visually intrusive than the current field house.

For 1000M, the zoning for the site was DX, which has no height limit. How would an overlying landmark district, on a vacant piece of land, overshadow and take precedent?

But what you posted were YOUR opinions that I asked about. I've never been a Robert's Rules by the book fellow. Out of the box kind of thinking has always been my forte.

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 6:49 AM

Quote:
How about a flagship banana republic until the tower comes to fruition?
Banana republics don't occupy that much space. A flagship on state would be a stretch. The big phone stores might have made sense. Regardless a vacancy on such a high profile corner is a problem. Just down the street, American apparel is out also.

Old Posted May 20, 2017, 3:42 PM
TL;DR

Does Georgetown still own that Old Navy building? They probably think they've missed the height of this current boom, and they want another short term tenant to occupy the space until the next cycle when they can redevelop.

Old Posted May 21, 2017, 3:50 AM
Development Shill

Quote:

Damn... can't really respect you anymore after this comment. All opinion based, and really trash opinions for that matter. Complaining about Harris Theater, Lucas Museum(killed anyway sooooo), bitching about a school ffs(????), talking out of your ass on the North Branch project, and "Legacy in a historic district"... might as well brand the whole fucking city as a historic district then lmao

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations