HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 17, 2022, 3:53 AM

Yes, still interested!

Yes, sir! $50-$90 per block sounds great and I'm still very interested. These are super cool!!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2023, 7:23 PM

Should have Frost Tower up by the end of the day, if it stops giving me problems. 👀

Old Posted Jan 2, 2023, 7:46 PM
JACKinBeantown

I imagine the crown is pretty tough. Looking forward to it!

Eventually, are you going to make a base that matches the topography of downtown Austin? I know there are hills, but are they significant enough to create their elevations? I had a thought about it if you're interested (even if you're not ) : since each block is essentially the same size you could leave a cutout space equal to the size and depth of the bases you've made for each block, then use really low tack glue to hold them in place for when you transport it. But you'll also be able to remove them easily without tearing if you need to fix anything.

OR... don't worry about the cutout because the depth of your cardboard bases can act as curb height where the sidewalks are higher than the streets.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2023, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drr78703 View Post
Yes, sir! $50-$90 per block sounds great and I'm still very interested. These are super cool!!
Great! I sent you a PM a while back on how to reach out to me directly, so we don't clog up the thread. Or just message me on the Instagram link below.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2023, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I imagine the crown is pretty tough. Looking forward to it!

Eventually, are you going to make a base that matches the topography of downtown Austin? I know there are hills, but are they significant enough to create their elevations? I had a thought about it if you're interested (even if you're not ) : since each block is essentially the same size you could leave a cutout space equal to the size and depth of the bases you've made for each block, then use really low tack glue to hold them in place for when you transport it. But you'll also be able to remove them easily without tearing if you need to fix anything.

OR... don't worry about the cutout because the depth of your cardboard bases can act as curb height where the sidewalks are higher than the streets.

That is something I've thought of, but I have no idea what material I could make it out of. It would also have to be complex enough to interlock because the area of Downtown I would like to create is about a meter square at this scale.

I actually kind of like the flat look, because you can get a sense of the scale of the buildings. Also, there are buildings from other cities I would like to model and compare. Does anyone want to see what it would look like to have Hudson Yards in the Railyard area?

Unfortunately, I think I will finish Frost late today and won't have the energy for taking good pictures. So here is a teaser shot of a test Frost and a test Austonian.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2023, 4:53 AM

That’s just a test Frost? That looks amazing, can’t wait to see the finished product! Take your time and only release when you’re satisfied. It’s so fun watching your paper city grow.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2023, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbywest87 View Post
That’s just a test Frost? That looks amazing, can’t wait to see the finished product! Take your time and only release when you’re satisfied. It’s so fun watching your paper city grow.
Well, I say test, but it's more of a "mess up that I have to redo".

Austonian is a true massing and shapes test tho. Curves are always tricky.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 4:16 AM

I don't want to see another jagged crown again for another year.

However, someone remind me to make an 850ft Frost Tower next year so we can all see what should have been.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 6:06 AM

Best one yet! No way that could have been easy to piece together.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 6:14 AM

Maybe I'm alone here but I think the Frost Tower is still the best looking of all the modern skyscrapers in our skyline and this 3D paper model proves why. There is so much detail in that tower. But I agree that this tower should have been 300ft taller.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 1:36 PM
JACKinBeantown

Outstanding!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 3:17 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
Maybe I'm alone here but I think the Frost Tower is still the best looking of all the modern skyscrapers in our skyline and this 3D paper model proves why. There is so much detail in that tower. But I agree that this tower should have been 300ft taller.
I highly doubt that you're alone in thinking Frost is the best-looking modern tower in Austin.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 4:16 PM
JACKinBeantown

Frost Bank seems to make it a point to build spectacular buildings that aren't tall enough. Look at San Antonio.

https://ideasoil.media.clients.ellin...167d6870b19a92

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 6:29 PM

I have a feeling that will be another well designed Frost bank tower that will eventually be hidden.

Last edited by Riverranchdrone; Jan 4, 2023 at 6:29 PM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverranchdrone View Post
I have a feeling that will be another well designed Frost bank tower that will eventually be hidden.
San Antonio would really have to pick up the pace for that one to get hidden anytime soon.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 7:21 PM
World Traveler

The benefit of the Frost tower in San Antonio is they have Legacy Park right next to it, so that view will always be somewhat protected at least. However, I just looked on Google Earth and was again reminded that the parking garage attached to that thing is absolutely hideous. I prefer a pedestal to that (which is also hard to say).

But the lights on the San Antonio tower are outstanding, and I always love downtown San Antonio with its history, character, and obviously the Riverwalk.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 10:17 PM
Meh

Austin's Frost Bank Tower wasn't planned for or developed by Frost Bank. In fact, it started out with its original name of Congress at Fourth.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 2:22 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbywest87 View Post
San Antonio would really have to pick up the pace for that one to get hidden anytime soon.
From that angle, sure. Look at it from the opposite side. You can't even see it.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4387...7i16384!8i8192

(Sorry, but wide-angle Google Street View was the only example I could find.)

Anyway, back to jake.robs' awesome paper models.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 8:41 PM

I've posted about this before. It makes me feel like half the building is underground and with proper excavation you can unearth the rest of it... like the Easter Island Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Frost Bank seems to make it a point to build spectacular buildings that aren't tall enough. Look at San Antonio.

https://ideasoil.media.clients.ellin...167d6870b19a92

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 9:50 PM
JACKinBeantown

Just five more floors would have made such a big difference.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin