HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 3:06 AM

Paperboy to open a second location on S. Lamar

https://austin.towers.net/apartments...-carwash-site/

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 9:18 PM

Nightlife venue to take over old Truluck's space

NoCo Hospitality plans another hangout in downtown Austin

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

Sahar Chmais – Staff Writer, Austin Business Journal
May 4, 2023

NoCo Hospitality LLC is turning the old Truluck's restaurant space in downtown Austin into a new nightlife venue called Estelle’s Social Lounge.

The club is expected to open later this month as the only tenant at 400 Colorado St. Truluck’s Restaurant Group Ltd. announced in April the relocation of its longtime location into the nearby 300 Colorado tower, where it has a 20-year lease. The new Truluck's could open sometime this month.

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
115 Sandra Muraida Way

Mellow Johnny’s Bike Shop’s new location. Could be a sign the current site will be redeveloped.

While grabbing coffee I spoke to one of the employees at Juan Pelota’s. He didn’t know much of what’s to come next of the building but it has new owners and believes it will be torn down. Juan Pelota’s will not be joining Mellow Johnny’s in the move, which is expected to happen in June.

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 7:16 PM
Resident Moron

So we gain a paperboy and lose a Snooze - sounds like a good exchange for S. Lamar brunch.

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX2030 View Post
Nightlife venue to take over old Truluck's space

NoCo Hospitality plans another hangout in downtown Austin

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

Sahar Chmais – Staff Writer, Austin Business Journal
May 4, 2023

NoCo Hospitality LLC is turning the old Truluck's restaurant space in downtown Austin into a new nightlife venue called Estelle’s Social Lounge.

The club is expected to open later this month as the only tenant at 400 Colorado St. Truluck’s Restaurant Group Ltd. announced in April the relocation of its longtime location into the nearby 300 Colorado tower, where it has a 20-year lease. The new Truluck's could open sometime this month.

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 10:20 PM

Wonder if it's a gay bar?

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Wonder if it's a gay bar?
I’d suspect EDM, NoCo Hospitality owns Higher Ground and Superstition.

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 8:53 PM

St. Elmo public market remains empty, for sale

Quote:
Seven years after the announcement of the St. Elmo Public Market, the renovated warehouse was listed for sale in July 2022.

Last promised by developers to open in 2021, the market has sat empty since its completion in 2022. Marketed as including dozens of food and beverage vendors, seven restaurants announced plans to become anchor tenants in the market. All but one have officially dropped out of the project.

Austin residents have asked Community Impact what happened to the project. Residents are moving into the only completed project from the vision—St. Elmo Apartments—just feet away, which remains dark. According to several residents, the market was promised as a future amenity.

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 10:24 PM
クラブトクヨ

I don’t understand. Why did this fail? COVID?

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 12:53 AM

We need one of the big groups in town (MML, new Waterloo, etc.) to come and fix this. This is a tragedy. I live nearby and have been waiting forever.

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
I don’t understand. Why did this fail? COVID?
What's amazing is that it's delivered on the more likely "real" reason for it, which was to spur on development in the area.

The Yard being as popular and growing as it definitely helps, but so much of the development around the future food hall is angled towards St. Elmo Market vs the Yard.

I'd imagine there's a clear benefit to opening it as more people move in nearby, so the problem could be either with the structure itself or prohibitively expensive rents for retail tenants they're trying to attract.

Austin somehow missed the trend of overbuilding food halls; outside of Fareground, there's not much of a market here.

Personally, I'm hoping this spurs on something more creative as a use, but not holding my breath.

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankLloydLeft View Post

Austin somehow missed the trend of overbuilding food halls; outside of Fareground, there's not much of a market here.
IMO, our food trucks really soak up a lot of this type of demand.

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Totally agree, and honestly prefer it that way. Not that I'd mind a food hall, but they tend to prioritize a certain clientele vs the more varied appeal trucks can have.

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Bingo.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 12:23 AM

Never really understood the appeal of food trucks beyond a sporadic novelty.
Most are wildly overpriced compared to the food & value they provide. Hard to justify when they have significantly less overhead than an actual restaurant. And now they all want tips.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 3:44 PM

Hey, thanks for sharing your thoughts on food trucks. I totally understand where you're coming from. It can be hard to justify the prices, considering the lower overhead costs compared to brick-and-mortar restaurants. However, I've found that some food trucks offer unique flavors and culinary experiences that you may not find elsewhere. Recently, I had the chance to try out this place called Restaurant Füssen, which my close friends suggested, and it was mind-blowing. The dishes were bursting with flavors, and the atmosphere was really fun. It's always exciting to discover new food spots, and I thought I'd mention it here. Anyways, I'm new to this forum as well, so it's great connecting with fellow food enthusiasts.

Last edited by IvanRoko; Jun 2, 2023 at 11:46 AM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post
Most are wildly overpriced compared to the food & value they provide. Hard to justify when they have significantly less overhead than an actual restaurant. And now they all want tips.
At the same time, food trucks have less economies of scale than most all restaurants, so they are paying more for ingredients and things.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post
Food trucks are pretty awesome, actually, IMO. I get that they may not actually be any cheaper than brick and mortar, but they're great idea incubators. They kinda flatten the concept development pipeline, and lower the financial bar for riskier stuff. That's why in my local food truck park I have Venezuelan, Hawaiian BBQ, Indian street food, and vegan falafel, among others. Anyway, I don't do food trucks a lot (probably should do more and put my money where my mouth is) but I'm glad the concept exists and is viable.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Food trucks are pretty awesome, actually, IMO. I get that they may not actually be any cheaper than brick and mortar, but they're great idea incubators. They kinda flatten the concept development pipeline, and lower the financial bar for riskier stuff. That's why in my local food truck park I have Venezuelan, Hawaiian BBQ, Indian street food, and vegan falafel, among others. Anyway, I don't do food trucks a lot (probably should do more and put my money where my mouth is) but I'm glad the concept exists and is viable.
To Piggy back.... I know multiple folks who have figured out their business in a food truck... then moved on to Brick and Mortar. So yes, great entry point for a difficult industry!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 7:12 PM
World Traveler

I personally love that a lot of breweries rotate food trucks out pretty frequently. Good beer and different food - all in the same spot!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin