HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 8:37 PM

are those bricks on the parking structure? looks better than the usual garbage people put on there.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 9:04 PM

I know this is Lincoln Ventures biggest project to date by far, but they have an excellent track record in getting their proposals built.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 9:13 PM
你的媽媽

Pretty nice looking tower aside from the podiums, which are poorly disguised. I agree it will come down to how they pull off the finishes/materials and street level interaction.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 9:30 PM

Well well well. A helipad. Finally

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 10:13 PM
Meh

From henceforth, I shall dub thee...the bubble wand tower.

I like it. This one seems to be well polished architecture. Those cantilevered amenity levels are making me think of Frank Lloyd Wright.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 10:33 PM
クラブトクヨ

Agree with the FLW vibes. I like this one!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 11:01 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Well well well. A helipad. Finally
It looks like a weird amazon drone pad.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 11:49 PM
Frontal Lobe Technician

644 apartments in this tower!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomizer View Post
644 apartments in this tower!
That is amazing for a single project and may equate to 800 to 1,000 people. Nobody lives on the site now. What an improvement.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 3:20 AM

Is Sackman’s 82 Rainey still on tap to be wedged in between this and 70 Rainey, where the food trucks are? Or is that just part of this tract now? I think the design is really solid. I enjoy when parking is differentiated from the rest of the building to show a distinction in programming, as long as the facade’s finish is high quality, and it looks like this one will be.

While the roof element is striking, I think the best part of the building is how they stagger the windows on the north side. That will look very unique and then the other portion has windows where you can open them directly for air, which not many buildings in Austin do. Maybe the W Hotel? And I think The Avenue Centric as well.

This also closes out the density on that corner with Hotel Van Zandt, The Quincy, and eventually 90 Rainey all clustered together.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 9:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
Is Sackman’s 82 Rainey still on tap to be wedged in between this and 70 Rainey, where the food trucks are? Or is that just part of this tract now?
That project is no more. That site became part of this this project.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 12:45 PM

No balconies?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
No balconies?
I noticed that too. That's a first in Austin as far as I know for a high-rise residential building. Maybe it keeps costs down and makes them more affordable?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I noticed that too. That's a first in Austin as far as I know for a high-rise residential building. Maybe it keeps costs down and makes them more affordable?
Honestly, I feel like most condo owners "want" balconies, but don't end up using them. Obviously there is a decent size population that do actually utilize their balconies and go on them regularly -- but in my building, probably only 20% of people even go on their balcony one per month.

Though, all else being the same, I think balconies look worse than not.

----

I also do like the amount of street-level interaction this one will theoretically have. Certainly more than 70 Rainey, or Millenium/Camden. Particularly how it is a couple of floors, versus the majority of others where there is one floor, then a bulky parking podium. Perhaps it's because it looks like this will have less overall parking per unit than 70 rainey/others.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 2:49 PM
World Traveler

Yeah a lot of folks use balconies for storage. Chairs and planters are often mandatory purchases, they think, and they end up with stuff stacked on them or covered in dust. Rusty bikes, coolers, small Weber grills, etc. Not a rule across the board, of course, but a lot of folks really don't utilize them as much as they think they will in the beginning.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Yeah a lot of folks use balconies for storage. Chairs and planters are often mandatory purchases, they think, and they end up with stuff stacked on them or covered in dust. Rusty bikes, coolers, small Weber grills, etc. Not a rule across the board, of course, but a lot of folks really don't utilize them as much as they think they will in the beginning.
Since I smoke but not in my house, I would be on my balcony a ton. Good incentive not to quit smoking.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
That project is no more. That site became part of this this project.
Got it! Thanks… funny how at the time that project seemed like a roadmap for mid-tier development in this area, as a bridge between bungalows and high rises. But now it looks like the mid-rise phase will be skipped in this neighborhood entirely. There’s just too much demand and the land prices today already call for vertical density. Amazing how Rainey exceeded the timeline of initial developers.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 3:39 PM

Wow, this is so much better than the old Sackman proposal. Probs 1000 beds, Two stories of restaurant space and tying into existing Rainey bungalows. Not to mention that the design looks pretty amazing so far. There really is something for everyone with this proposal and I'm so stoked to see it get built!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 4:01 PM

For all the complaining WRT new developments on Rainey and the claims that it's all taking away from the district...this building would add more retail and street level interaction than just about anything that's ever been developed or proposed downtown. Also, the two bungalows on the site will be preserved.

The paseo and sidewalk improvements (with mature trees) sounds great. It looks as if there will be at least four street level retails spots that look like they may be multilevel establishments, some sort of basement speakeasy, and a public bar on the 11th floor. Also, it will activate one of those two bungalows which currently has no public access. That's seven publicly accessible additions to the district...from one development.

However one might feel about the building design itself, it's really hard to ask for much more WRT how it adds to the Rainey/downtown experience.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 4:32 PM

I don't have a strong opinion on this one -- there're some interesting elements (the ground level retail looks especially good at street level, the bar level above the parking podium has some cool stacked balcony action, also the bubbly helipad) but at core it's still a boxy apartment tower and will still project that energy in the skyline.

For whatever reason, this feels like an inflection point for Rainey -- somehow different from the other towers in the pipeline. There's a lot of open space going away here, and this one has the potential to loom the largest over the biggest chunk of the street to date. I'm not bemoaning it -- but to me it's a clear milestone, a clear point of transition to Postmodern Rainey.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin