HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 7:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Interesting concept for a "beer cocktail"

Of course Evangeline & Gabriel weren't real people. I'm pretty sure that they were concoctions of Longfellow's imagination.
:
It is often said that Longfellow was inspired by the true story of Emmeline Labiche and Louis Arceneaux. Whether or not that is true I have no idea.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 7:32 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

There are many many works of art including several songs inspired by Évangéline. This is one of my (irreverent) favourites:

https://genius.com/Angele-arsenault-...n-queen-lyrics

Évangéline Fried clams
Évangéline Salon Bar
Évangéline Sexy Ladies wear
Évangéline Comfortable Running Shoes
Évangéline Automobile Springs
Évangéline Regional High School
Évangéline Savings Mortgage and Loans
Évangéline The only French Newspaper in New Brunswick
Évangéline Acadian Queen

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Obviously he must be very good if they can win a national award in their first year of operation.
Especially with a cream ale, a fairly subtle style to try to stand out in.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 1:21 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I don't drink much anymore, but when I did, while I generally preferred European beers (German, Bohemian, and UK, but also from pretty much any other European country)and some craft Canadian beers (at least the ones without things floating in the beer, and the ones that did not overdo it with the hops), along with the ones that were not quite beer-snobby enough (Ok Spring, Gran Isle PA, Warthog), there were other times when I just wanted to have some plain ol' Canadian ales or lagers like Export, 50, Kootenay, LGD, etc. Maybe just to go down memory lane. Maybe because I just felt like something refreshing and simple. Good for watching hockey games.

Never but never did I crave a Coors-fright or worse, Butt Lite (Butt Light Lyme's disease being perhaps the worst beer I ever tasted).
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 2:21 PM

^ I enjoy a light beer on a hot day but I can't say I'm fond of the flavoured variants like the Coors Light Iced Tea (which memorably showed up as a C L I T on a bar receipt I got once at The Forks), Bud Light Lime, I think there's a clamato variant too now

Just give me the beer-flavoured beer.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I'm not sure if they deliver to Hamilton, but you can order a 2-4 of Great Lakes Brewing's blonde lager for $48, and slightly stronger (and tastier) Canuck Pale Ale for $54. That's for 473ml cans so it works out to more or less the same price. I've been ordering delivery from them throughout COVID - it's free for orders over $50 and shows up the next day! I think you can get cases at the Beer Store too - unit price is higher at the LCBO/grocery stores as they are sold as singles.
My buddy told me about Great Lakes a few months ago - my understanding was that it was even cheaper than that if you actually go to the brewery, close to the buck a beer pricing level. I was meaning to stop by next time I was in Toronto.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 4:36 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^e Coors Light Iced Tea (which memorably showed up as a C L I T on a bar receipt I got once at The Forks)

I'd love to see that receipt. If your server was female, you could have made her uncomfortable if you had to dispute that entry on your receipt.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 5:01 PM

^ Haha... the receipt is long gone, that had to be about 7 or 8 years ago, whenever it first came out! Haven't had another one since.

On that note, I remember my wife once asked a young waitress at Tavern United what kinds of shooters they could make. The litany of shooters with ribald names that she rattled off resulted in something that sounded like what you must hear when you call a 1-900 number for some spicy chat... it was a little awkward for me

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 7:39 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
I had a few bottles of Molson XXX back then. It certainly was terrible. For strong beers I used to drink (circa 1995-2000) ones made by Unibroue from Quebec. La Fin du Monde is 9% and you can still get it today. Tasted a lot better.

Labatt also had a strong one called Maximum Ice but I don't think it was actually that strong compared to XXX but I could be wrong. A friend of mine used to drink Labatt Wildcat Strong which was 6.1% but as cheap as any 5% discount brand.
I remember Maximum Ice. I think it was only 7 % swill compared to Molson's "9.1 percent party mix".

A friend of mine from Nova Scotia told me you just had to put your palms in 2 directions to get a Wildcat at the bar when you are hammered. (Apparently flashing two hands and opening your mouth in a hissing motion makes you look like a wildcat).

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 12:25 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^Bring back the alarmforce scowling dude for your avatar! ("Can I HELP YOU??!")

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 1:04 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

I don't mind Coors banquet.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 2:53 PM
recession proof

I always enjoyed Black Creek Brewery's ales. Labatt 50 went through a hipster revival about a decade ago - I tried one found it pretty dull.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
I remember Maximum Ice. I think it was only 7 % swill compared to Molson's "9.1 percent party mix".

A friend of mine from Nova Scotia told me you just had to put your palms in 2 directions to get a Wildcat at the bar when you are hammered. (Apparently flashing two hands and opening your mouth in a hissing motion makes you look like a wildcat).

And the cougars will be heading towards you.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 3:19 PM
The New Republic

The beer landscape has changed massively over the decades. When I was a kid the market was dominated by the Big 3 Canadian beer companies: Labatt, Molson, and Carling O'Keefe. Molson ended up buying Carling O'Keefe leaving just 2 big firms. People either drank Labatt brands or Molson brands. They were the 'Coke and Pepsi' of the beer world and few people bought foreign beer. Today it's almost the complete opposite and they even try to pass Bud Light and Coors Light (both American) off as 'Domestic' beers. Total BS, of course.

Speaking of Carling, does anyone remember Carling Black Label? It's simply known as 'Carling' in the UK. it might surprise Canadians to know that Carling was the #1 beer in the UK back in the 1980s. It's no longer #1 but they still sold 7.9 billion pints in the UK in 2016.

Arguably the biggest Canadian beer brand yet most Canadians have never heard of it

2012 and 1998 Can of Carling Lager. by CWhatPhotos, on Flickr

Last edited by isaidso; Oct 7, 2020 at 3:37 PM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 3:30 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Speaking of Carling, it might surprise Canadians to know that it was the #1 brewer in the UK back in the 1980s. It's no longer #1 but they still sold 7.9 billion pints in the UK in 2016. Does anyone remember Carling Black Label? It's simply known as 'Carling' in the UK and still a very big beer brand there.

I may have mentioned this earlier in the thread, but Black Label is South Africa's most prominent beer - the Carling label is more or less stripped and it's just referred to as Black Label. Or in slang terms as Zamalek after an Egyptian football team with the beer's colours that beat Soweto locals the Kaiser Chiefs. Known as a strong beer at 5.5% (as strong as Zamalek!) it's what you start drinking if you want to get drunk, as in Fridays at 3pm. Tastes much better than here, weirdly enough. And unlike here much, much cheaper than craft options.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 3:43 PM
The New Republic

Apparently Carling became a very big beer brand in a ton of Commonwealth countries. It's bizarre how big Carling is in some countries yet in its home country many people have never even heard of it. A can of Carling Lager sells for $2 at the LCBO/Beer Store in Ontario. It's cheap but near impossible to find at Canadian restaurants and bars. Carling did well in the US too. Here are some vintage 1950s commercials they made for the US market. He mentions that Carling was founded in London. It's a little misleading as most people will assume he means London, UK instead of London, Ontario.

Video Link

Last edited by isaidso; Oct 7, 2020 at 4:00 PM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 3:51 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Black label became revitalized in the early 90s. It was a hipster beer before there were hipsters. Once the Yankification (steer pissification) of the Canadian beer industry was put into place, it faded back into obscurity.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Black label became revitalized in the early 90s. It was a hipster beer before there were hipsters. Once the Yankification (steer pissification) of the Canadian beer industry was put into place, it faded back into obscurity.
Yeah, that's about my recollection... I recall it was brewed at the O'Keefe brewery in Winnipeg (among other locations) as there was signage to that effect there all through the 1980s. It was somewhat common at family gatherings as I vaguely remember.

Then the brand kind of faded away before coming back in the 90s sometime, and then it went away for good. I can't remember the last time I saw it, at least in Manitoba.

I have noticed it abroad and I always sort of assumed it was a UK brand brewed internationally... is it really from London, ON?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 4:13 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Yes as soon as Labatt fell into foreign hands, they decided the dominant Labatt beer brands (once had about 45% of the entire Canadian market) should be sidelined in favour of imported brands like Budweiser, Corona, and Stella Artois. Canadian beer brands were purposely driven into the ground and quite predictably are mere shadows of what they once were.

When Molson, based in Montreal, merged with Coors, based in Denver, it was supposed to be a 'merger of equals'. In reality, the merged company (Molson-Coors) moved head office to Denver and the Canadian brands suffered a similar fate as those at Labatt. Molson (once had 40% of the Canadian market) was purposely sidelined in favour of the Coors Light brand.

The last 30 years have been a complete disaster for these once dominant Canadian beer brands.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 8:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Toronto approves "pedal pubs" - but you won't be allowed to drink beer on them

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/202...o-streets.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada