HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 5:15 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
So how close are we getting to downtown being “full”, once all the current planned and proposed projects are done? Where the vast majority of lots are already developed in a manner where it’s unlikely any will be redeveloped again soon (ie no one is tearing down the Frost to rebuild it higher)

It would be interesting to see the current CVCs overlayed onto the image below...

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
So how close are we getting to downtown being “full”, once all the current planned and proposed projects are done? Where the vast majority of lots are already developed in a manner where it’s unlikely any will be redeveloped again soon (ie no one is tearing down the Frost to rebuild it higher)
Perhaps we are close to running out of surface parking lots, but there are still a ton of lots with buildings that are only a few stories tall and another batch that are used only for parking garages. I have to think the vast majority of these aren't explained by CVC or historical designation.

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertowelroll View Post
Perhaps we are close to running out of surface parking lots, but there are still a ton of lots with buildings that are only a few stories tall and another batch that are used only for parking garages. I have to think the vast majority of these aren't explained by CVC or historical designation.
My favorite game has always been to identify DT blocks that can/might/should get redeveloped into something taller. Still a surprisingly long list.

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 10:28 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
My favorite game has always been to identify DT blocks that can/might/should get redeveloped into something taller. Still a surprisingly long list.
Got a google map?
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertowelroll View Post
This plus the eventual expansion of downtown to include south of the lake, and if we can dream it, west of Lamar.

Ideally the pressure from nimbys holding the areas between South Lamar, South First, and South Congress can find a release of density wash over either the industrial parks along Ben White, or even see some of the office parks along mopac south of the lake look into what they could get out of redeveloping/converting their lots to include residential.

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTex View Post
The I-35 CVC will Have to be reevaluated once the freeway reconstruction is completed. The land owners will see to that. The Capitol will no longer be visible from many of the existing points along the highway. However, by then Austin my not be boom town any more.
I don't see why they would have to wait until the construction is completed. The CVC reevaluation should be started ASAP. At the very least, the city should already be looking at eliminating theirs. The relevant state CVCs will obviously take longer to get rid of though.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Got a google map?
Nope, I'm too lazy. But I work DT and spend a lot of time taking elaborate commuting routes so I can get a gander at what's going on. Definitely have some areas I have my eye on. A good number of them are freestanding parking garages.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 3:00 PM

Standard International unveils global growth plans

Quote:
Standard International has shared details of its upcoming growth plans, with fourteen new properties set to open over the next five years.

Following the debut of Standard hotels in the likes of London, the Maldives, Ibiza and Bangkok, the company is continuing to add to its global portfolio. The Standard is set to open in Melbourne in late 2023, and Singapore in early 2024, followed by new openings in Lisbon, Austin, Mexico, Brooklyn, Vancouver, Dublin, Vienna, Brussels, Khao Yai, Nashville and Pattaya.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 3:24 PM
randalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Awesome to see this. Used to love staying at two The Standard hotels in LA. Glad we’re getting one.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 3:33 PM

Oooo good gossip! I haven’t heard about this yet… makes me wonder where it’ll end up.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 4:06 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

I just realized that Austin-based Bunkhouse Group was acquired by The Standard and is now their "sister" hotel brand.

On somewhat of a side note, isn't there a student housing building going up in West Campus called The Standard?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Why do they install their brand signage upside down?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverranchdrone View Post
Because that's the standard, duh!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverranchdrone View Post
Advertising to Australians.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 11:54 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I know Kevin remembers the Kwik Wash on Manchaca (I think?). Had the sign with Kwik Wash on top, and the same under it but upside down.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 1:23 PM

Sounds like quite a party. London, Maldives, Ibiza, and Bangkok.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 1:48 PM

Of the buildings that are proposed or UC, is there a hotel component that we don't know about? Trying to match the Standard to the pipeline if possible.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 8:02 PM

Quote:
This is funny to see as a friend of mine close to Bunkhouse mentioned they feel they're losing cool points with Austin. So a Standard finally coming to town makes sense as something "fresh" from that group.

Honestly, they're not a bad brand, but for Austin, they sure do play it safe relative to what they could be doing to stand out. Even architecturally, the Magdalena ( their first non-Lambert/acquired property ala Carpenter) feels more profit-oriented than anything else. Multiple people have said it looks like an apartment building.

Hoping the standard brings something new to the city, especially if they build something new.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankLloydLeft View Post
This is funny to see as a friend of mine close to Bunkhouse mentioned they feel they're losing cool points with Austin. So a Standard finally coming to town makes sense as something "fresh" from that group.

Honestly, they're not a bad brand, but for Austin, they sure do play it safe relative to what they could be doing to stand out. Even architecturally, the Magdalena ( their first non-Lambert/acquired property ala Carpenter) feels more profit-oriented than anything else. Multiple people have said it looks like an apartment building.

Hoping the standard brings something new to the city, especially if they build something new.
That's funny. I've been thinking for a while that Bunkhouse properties are not only dated -- pushing kind of an elder millenial-vibe -- but also are certainly not the leading edge of Austin cool any more. In some ways it's not their fault -- Austin's really leapt forward into a new era without most folks grokking it. But the 2010s are clearly over. Bunkhouse helped with a lot of Austin mythmaking and style creation, but we're past that now in a big way, IMO.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
That's funny. I've been thinking for a while that Bunkhouse properties are not only dated -- pushing kind of an elder millenial-vibe -- but also are certainly not the leading edge of Austin cool any more. In some ways it's not their fault -- Austin's really leapt forward into a new era without most folks grokking it. But the 2010s are clearly over. Bunkhouse helped with a lot of Austin mythmaking and style creation, but we're past that now in a big way, IMO.
Elder millennial for sure!

I think them pushing out or not keeping Liz Lambert was a mistake too. Either way, I think it's time for some of these bigger budgeted brands to start pushing the envelope again.

Otherwise, it'll set the stage for someone else to come in and outdo them. How do we recruit these tech bros to bankroll legit ideas and not another terrible dating app.

Would love to see the Classic Inn turned into a swanky, 70s adults only spot. Like clothing optional pool with wild parties open to the public.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin