HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 22, 2023, 3:44 AM

Mercury Hall

One Oak

Bravo

Old Posted May 25, 2023, 8:48 PM

Redevelopment Planned for South Austin’s Twin Oaks Shopping Center

Quote:
A mixed-use redevelopment is currently in the planning stages at South Austin’s longtime Twin Oaks Shopping Center, according to a site plan filed with the city earlier this week. Located at 2315 South Congress Avenue, this midcentury strip mall has been owned since 2016 by beloved Texan grocers H-E-B, acquired as part of its redevelopment strategy for the H-E-B location at the southwest corner of South Congress Avenue and Oltorf Street — Twin Oaks is located at the northeast corner of the same intersection, and currently houses a temporary H-E-B store while the firm rebuilds the main store at roughly twice the size of the original.

Old Posted May 25, 2023, 10:43 PM

buh bye! Good riddance.

Old Posted May 25, 2023, 10:45 PM

Just imagine, if Twin Oaks could be re-developed in tandem with the underutilized South Congress Square shopping center directly across Oltorf to the south. Both properties are screaming out for imaginative re-purposing and densification. It will be interesting to see what kind of height allowances emerge there in the coming years. I'm sure NIMBYs in the nearby hoods will make a huge ruckus. Twin Oaks is the most offensive of the two parcels. It can't disappear fast enough to suit me.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 12:16 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

8402 South Congress is being rezoned to CS-V. Multi-family with VMU.

211 Ralph Ablanedo will also be multi-family.

220 Ralph Ablanedo will be an indoor sports & rec center (33,500 ft climbing center & 5500 ft building)

And I just took a call about our property. That probably means one of the neighboring lots is looking to build. It's really popping down there.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 4:14 AM
Meh

Let the wrecking ball swing, but leave the trees. Or at least move them. Hey, if a the old 2-story house on the other side of Congress can be wheeled down Congress, then so can those trees.

Our neighbor owned a beauty shop in that shopping center for years right over in the corner of it near the two trees. She passed away a 6 or 7 years ago. The last time I was by there you could still see where the letters of the sign left a mark on the wall.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 12:08 PM

Finally! I've been waiting for this for over 20 years. I'm sure they will be designing around the trees unless they are unhealthy, but they certainly look fine from an aerial view.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 1:34 AM

Update: https://austin.towers.net/twin-oaks-...000-new-homes/

Quote:
A redevelopment plan for the 10-acre Twin Oaks Shopping Center in South Austin by Dallas-based global real estate developer Trammell Crow Company could bring nearly 1,000 new homes, a hotel, offices, and extensive new retail space to the 1950s strip mall at the northeast corner of South Congress Avenue and Oltorf Street, according to an application for a Transportation Impact Analysis (TIA) submitted by representatives of Trammell Crow to Austin’s Transportation Department earlier this year. Twin Oaks, located at 2315 South Congress Avenue, was purchased by the H-E-B Grocery Company in 2016, and currently houses a temporary H-E-B store while the grocer builds a large new store at the southwest corner of the same intersection.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 5:50 PM

Real Estate Roundup: Prolific developer lands $49M construction loan for new apartments, plus tons more deals
Quote:
Journeyman Group is behind the 285-unit affordable apartment project at 5900 S. Congress Ave., called The Madator. The developer received a $49 million syndicated construction loan from seven credit unions led by University Federal Credit Union — the second such community in the region to spring from a collaboration between Journeyman and UFCU, according to a late May announcement.
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...Pos=2#cxrecs_s

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 3:59 PM

South Congress HEB

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Just imagine, if Twin Oaks could be re-developed in tandem with the underutilized South Congress Square shopping center directly across Oltorf to the south. Both properties are screaming out for imaginative re-purposing and densification. It will be interesting to see what kind of height allowances emerge there in the coming years. I'm sure NIMBYs in the nearby hoods will make a huge ruckus. Twin Oaks is the most offensive of the two parcels. It can't disappear fast enough to suit me.
Heheh, I remember when Twin Oaks was new and the latest hot development trend in Austin.
My parents bought a lot of appliances at Clyde Hill’s store.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2023, 3:19 AM

Real Estate Roundup: Prolific developer lands $49M construction loan for new apartments

Quote:
Journeyman Group received a $49 million syndicated construction loan to help fund construction of the Matador, a South Austin affordable apartment development.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2023, 5:54 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
8402 South Congress is being rezoned to CS-V. Multi-family with VMU.

211 Ralph Ablanedo will also be multi-family.

220 Ralph Ablanedo will be an indoor sports & rec center (33,500 ft climbing center & 5500 ft building)

And I just took a call about our property. That probably means one of the neighboring lots is looking to build. It's really popping down there.

Do you know who owns the climbing center? Crux is expanding in North, Mesa *just* opened and I dont know if bouldering project wants a 3rd location.

edit: answered my own question - its crux. Looks like it may be a relocation of their pickle spot.

Last edited by StoOgE; Jun 27, 2023 at 6:34 PM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 6:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 6:32 PM

I am so excited for this! Excited to see what will happen to the strip mall across Oltorf with TSO and the Goodwill are located. That is also a huge property and could host a lot of homes. Really nice to see this Oltorf St station being utilized properly and spurring development.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 11:46 PM

I was excited until I read this:

The TIA document indicates the Twin Oaks redevelopment is expected to be built out over multiple stages, with a possible completion date in 2030.

Very confused on why a project of this scale would need multiple stages over 7 years. This isn't Hudson Yards....

Old Posted Jul 15, 2023, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futures View Post
I was excited until I read this:

The TIA document indicates the Twin Oaks redevelopment is expected to be built out over multiple stages, with a possible completion date in 2030.

Very confused on why a project of this scale would need multiple stages over 7 years. This isn't Hudson Yards....
At least that would seem to time well with the potential opening date of the rail line.

The demand for the housing already exists today. So that does seem odd. Could be due to financing?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2023, 7:09 PM

I'd guess they build housing in Phase 1 and wait on the office market to come back before building that portion in Phase 2. Don't know where the hotel would fall.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2023, 8:47 PM

This drawing from the site plan shows the two phases:

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2023, 5:47 PM

Well. Maybe they're waiting to see what comes of whatever the city council is able to accomplish WRT zoning/compatibility issues. Maybe the hope is that they'll eventually be able to build taller/denser on the eastern most portion during phase 2.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin