HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 6:04 PM

We haven't seen much on the Bel Air Hotel on NLA no doubt because it was known for its seclusion. Earlier today I happened upon a couple of slides taken back in 1967.

It appears that someone clandestinely snapped photographs of a couple of famous guests enjoying lunch or drinks on the patio.

I have an inkling who they may be but I thought it would be fun to hear who you noirishers think they are.

Here goes!

Slide #1

eBay

Slide #2

eBay

A closer look.

Slide #1

eBay

Fill in the blanks....______...______

Slide #2

eBay

Fill in the blanks....______..._______

Good luck!

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 10, 2023 at 6:15 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 6:19 PM

And while I'm at it. . here is the pool area at the Bel Air Hotel taken by the same amateur photographer. (also in 1967)

eBay

As far as I can tell there's no one famous in this photograph.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 10, 2023 at 7:30 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 7:44 PM

I located some information on the Wilshire Baptist Church.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Have we seen this photograph on NLA?

eBay

Somewhat surprisingly the address of the Wilshire Baptist Church is 301 N. Oxford. (where it meets Beverly Blvd.)

LAPL

This is the view along Beverly Blvd.

Hmm. .could that be the same sign (structure, at least) that appears in the old eBay photograph. The dimensions are the same.

Aerial view.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 10, 2023 at 8:06 PM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 6:46 PM

I'm trying to locate this one....

The 2nd place designation with the arrow left appears to be "Pasadena".....undated but likely about 1950....photo is from Pinterest.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 2:36 AM

Quote:
We haven't seen much on the Bel Air Hotel on NLA no doubt because it was known for its seclusion. Earlier today I happened upon a couple of slides taken back in 1967.

It appears that someone clandestinely snapped photographs of a couple of famous guests enjoying lunch or drinks on the patio.

I have an inkling who they may be but I thought it would be fun to hear who you noirishers think they are.

Here goes!

Slide #1

eBay

Slide #2

eBay

A closer look.

Slide #1

eBay

Jack Benny

Slide #2

eBay

Lana Turner

Good luck!

Jack Benny and Lana Turner

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 2:40 AM

For richkay...

Triangulating the high-tension lines crossing the boulevard with the distances to Pasadena (Colorado & Fair Oaks) at nine miles and to Pomona at 19 miles, I think we're looking northeasterly across the intersection of Garvey Ave. and San Gabriel Blvd. in what is now Rosemead but was unincorporated South San Gabriel back in the day.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyJK View Post

Jack Benny and Lana Turner
That's exactly who I thought it was, RudyJK....Thanks for playing my little game. I appreciate it.

I was somewhat surprised the patio of the Bel Air Hotel was occasionally used as a film location. (see below)

The problem is. .the name of the movie isn't included in the information at the dorchestercollection website....(they probably don't even know)

I believe the woman is either Jane Greer or Eleanor Parker....

I don't recognize the man at all.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 12, 2023 at 3:25 AM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 2:53 AM

Talking

Quote:

That's exactly who I thought it was, RudyJK....Thanks for playing my little game. I appreciate it.

Great minds...

Let's see if there are other guesses!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 3:21 AM

Quote:

I was somewhat surprised the patio of the Bel Air Hotel was occasionally used as a film location. (see below)

The problem is. .the name of the movie isn't included in the information at the dorchestercollection website....(they probably don't even know)

I believe the woman is either Jane Greer or Eleanor Parker....

The man may be. .um . .James Arness' brother.

I think it is Jane Greer and Dennis O'Keefe in 'The Company She Keeps' from 1951. Also starred Lizabeth Scott.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Company_She_Keeps

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 7:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riichkay View Post

I'm trying to locate this one....

The 2nd place designation with the arrow left appears to be "Pasadena".....undated but likely about 1950....photo is from Pinterest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHuntington View Post
For richkay...

Triangulating the high-tension lines crossing the boulevard with the distances to Pasadena (Colorado & Fair Oaks) at nine miles and to Pomona at 19 miles, I think we're looking northeasterly across the intersection of Garvey Ave. and San Gabriel Blvd. in what is now Rosemead but was unincorporated South San Gabriel back in the day.
Taken from the roof of Bud's Liquors? Aerials do show an appropriately shaped building where the Standard station is.

We also see the sign on the Garvey Theater here.
Quote:
I don't believe we have seen this amazing accident photograph on NLA.

lacountylibrary

Last edited by Mackerm; Apr 12, 2023 at 8:11 AM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 5:43 PM

Thanks, HenryHuntington and Mackerm.....Garvey Ave. and San Gabriel Blvd. it is, in what was then known as the town of Garvey.....here's the Standard station in the 1950 directory....

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 6:46 PM

Here's an interesting item currently on eBay.

eBay

Seller's description:..."INGLEWOOD CALIFIRNIA Best Dad Ever Snapshot"

eBay

So. .um. .the seller is implying that the little girl's plumber father built the mini-car for her. (right?)

I searched for "Kinsfathers" in the Los Angeles directories and so far I haven't had any success.

Help!...

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 7:13 PM

Here's a second mystery for this Thursday afternoon.

Seller's description:... "VINTAGE PHOTOGRAPH Spencer Lionel Adams MRS WING SANTA MONICA CALIFORNIA"

eBay

The house is quite unique looking with very low minimal windows.

The information is written on the back as well.

I've looked through numerous city directories but there are just too many damn Wings! ..

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 15, 2023 at 3:54 AM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 7:45 PM

I found Charlotte H Wing (wid A H) listed at 316 Adelaide Drive in the 1927 Santa Monica, Ocean Park, Venice, Sawtelle, Brentwood Heights CD. Looking at the steps, I'd say that this is the house. Sadly, it was demolished sometime between this 2007 image and 2012.

GSV

It looks like the new owners saved the front entrance of the old house for their gateway. The new house is almost entirely hidden by trees, which must spoil their beatiful ocean view.

GSV

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 7:59 PM

Quote:

Here's an interesting item currently on eBay.

Seller's description:..."INGLEWOOD CALIFIRNIA Best Dad Ever Snapshot"

eBay

So. .um. .the seller is implying that the little girl's plumber father built the mini-car for her. (right?)

I searched for "Kinsfathers" in the Los Angeles directories and so far I haven't had any success.

Help!...
The address on the board on the right is 121 West Arbor Vitae, Inglewood. Kinsfather Plumbing Shop appears at that location in a 1934 edition of the LAT that I found at newspapers.com. One of the property sites gives a build date of 1926 for 121 West Arbor Vitae, but I'm not sure I can match the entrance.

GSV

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 9:08 PM

Martin Turnbull, on his Garden of Allah website, posted a link to a book called Hollywood Cocktails.
https://euvs-vintage-cocktail-books....hird-printing2

All of the cocktail recipes that are in the book along with a graphic design are from real locations like the Brown Derby, the Cocoanut Grove or Sardi's. There is one, though, that I've not heard of, called the Hi-Lo.

A website called Barina Craft says that the Hi-Ho Club was a popular 1930s hangout and this was their signature cocktail. The place was named after their location on “Highland and Hollywood.” Hi-Ho.

Another website called Recipes 4 Rebels, mentions the Hi-Lo Club as a "private, prohibition era nightclub" that Marlene Dietrich would visit and a bartender at the place dubbed her version of an Old Fashioned as the Marlene Dietrich cocktail, which is one of the recipes in the aforementioned book.

Both of these websites use photos of a place called the Hi-Lo Club that appear to be taken from a 1946 Blondie movie titled Blondie knows best.

Anyone else heard of this place? The intersection of Highland and Hollywood is a focal point of many photographs and I’ve never seen nor heard of this place previously!

Last edited by Martin Pal; Apr 13, 2023 at 9:53 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 9:10 PM

As for the cocktail recipes in this book, more than a few use eggs as ingredients which we rarely see now, because, well...raw eggs! And liberal uses of vermouth doesn't seem to be frowned upon as it seems to be nowadays!

Regardless of the ingredients, I enjoyed the names of a lot of the cocktails in this book: The Atta Boy Cocktail, Between the Sheets, Broken Spur, Depth Bomb, Damn-the-Weather, Earthquake (I laughed as the only direction for the cocktail is “Shake Well”), Garbo Gargle, Los Angeles, Poop-Poop-a-Doop, Sweet Patotie and, in honor of this year’s Best Picture Winner, the “Everything But” Cocktail.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

I found Charlotte H Wing (wid A H) listed at 316 Adelaide Drive in the 1927 Santa Monica, Ocean Park, Venice, Sawtelle, Brentwood Heights CD. Looking at the steps, I'd say that this is the house. Sadly, it was demolished sometime between this 2007 image and 2012.

GSV

It looks like the new owners saved the front entrance of the old house for their gateway. The new house is almost entirely hidden by trees, which must spoil their beatiful ocean view.

GSV

A 2016 picture of the new house under construction.

la.curbed.com

It's the home of Mr. Frank Owen Gehry, CC, FAIA.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 4:33 AM

A disgrace...

...that an architect would be responsible for tearing down such a beautiful old house. Not to mention, build in it's place (IMHO) a hideous oversized monstrosity. And FYI, I'm very familiar with the location and have ridden my bike along this wonderful street countless times until this - an egotistical monument to his pathetic self while ignoring the neighbors and neighborhood.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 4:15 PM

Mrs. Wing's Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by santamonicadesign View Post
...that an architect would be responsible for tearing down such a beautiful old house. Not to mention, build in it's place (IMHO) a hideous oversized monstrosity. And FYI, I'm very familiar with the location and have ridden my bike along this wonderful street countless times until this - an egotistical monument to his pathetic self while ignoring the neighbors and neighborhood.
And to put a chain link fence in front is an insult to the property and neighborhood.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos