HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 4:42 PM
TL;DR

The first phase will go from Victorville to Vegas, that has environmental review done and (I think) funding in place. Extension over Cajon Pass to Rancho is planned, but on a separate timeline.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromSD View Post
A KTLA Channel 5 story on this included an interview with the city manager of Rancho Cucamonga who said that Brightline West was hoping to get half the $10 billion cost of the project from the 2021 federal infrastructure bill. That seems like a big ask considering all the other competing priorities for that money.

And according to the RC city manager, the Brightline West service will end not in Victorville, but at the Metrolink Station in RC. I’m not clear on how that is going to happen. The extra segment from Victorville to RC is not a trivial increase in scope. Getting over the Cajon Pass and through the most intensively developed portion Inland Empire is bound to be at least as difficult and costly as the relatively straight stretch from Victorville to Las Vegas down the median of I-15.
If I recall correctly they plan to connect to RC through regular speed rail lines to cut costs.

Ultimately whenever CHSR builds their pass across the San Gabriels, they will likely realign the train to connect to LA directly through that.

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 2:21 PM

How ‘Buy America’ could derail high-speed trains

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/0...rains-00097776

Quote:

- President Joe Biden wants high-speed rail built with U.S. components. That’s impossible, advocates say, because they don’t exist. --- “Trains capable of going 200 miles per hour are only made in a couple places in the whole world,” said Andy Kunz, president of the U.S. High Speed Rail Association, an advocacy group. “You stand behind it and say, ‘It has to be 100 percent made in America,’ you’re not going to get a [high-speed] rail system.”

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 2:43 PM

Except that's just wrong???? As far as I know, and correct me if I'm wrong, the Avelia Liberty's are fully capable of going 220 mph. And even if they can't, I know for a fact they can go 186 mph. Which is still high speed rail.

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 3:54 PM

^ A quick internet search seems to indicate that the Avelia Liberty is capable of reaching 220 mph.

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 5:47 PM
Show me the blueprints

Ridiculous headline. There is no risk of the inability to procure the rolling stock to run on the hsr infrastructure - the risk is not being politically capable of building the hsr infrastructure.

One truth regarding the big picture of American made rolling stock is just how despicable it is that we allowed our domestic passenger rolling stock industry to wither and die because we made a collective cultural decision 60 years ago to essentially abandon the entire concept of passenger trains. When you dwell on the rich history of American car builders that used to lead the world, and they are all conpletely gone. Pullman... Budd... ACF... StLC... Gone. All gone. Had we taken a different path those conpanies would likely be thriving and we'd be selling equipment to other countries instead of buying Chinese and Japanese transit cars and outfitting Amtrak with German trainsets. I understand the nuance of multinational manufacturers and globalism but the erasure of domestic know-how is a disgrace.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 6:20 PM
Doc Love 3.0

A quick google of the comes up with this; “US High Speed Rail Association
Railroad company in Washington, D.C.”. I don’t know much about the group other than I support what I understand as their mission statement. However the politico piece perhaps offers a deeper glance at how they advocate to reach the goal of a comprehensive world class high speed rail system. It’s disingenuous to argue the point that a French company that manufactures a product the Avelia Liberty in the US as not meeting the criteria.

The situation may be more nuanced than it appears but a DC based advocacy group putting out a political piece which if read between the lines seems to be pushing for German or Japanese trainsets. The Avelia Liberty is a tilting high-speed passenger train, tilting seems to be the key factor around this discussion. A tilting train is a train that has a mechanism enabling increased speed on regular rail tracks. The non tilting model of the Avelia Liberty is capable of 220 mph which means new tracks are needed to surpass the 186mph threshold.

There’s a lot of money at in play now that we are getting serious about building high speed rail. Taking a cynical view The US High Speed Rail Association may have moved from advocacy work into lobbying on behalf of the one or both market leaders. There may be good reasoning behind this it may be cheaper to go with say Seimens because they’re production volume allows for lower cost which means more money to invest in the system and a shorter time to get it operational.

I like the idea of building up the manufacturing and supply chain capacity in the US, there could be broad ancillary benefits to our manufacturing base and economy as a whole besides just the immediate benefit of jobs created. While autarky clearly isn’t a way to run a healthy competitive economy an economy overly unbalanced on the side of consumption and imports isn’t either.

I’m outside of my normal wheelhouse talking trains but I do feel more comfortable talking pros and cons of a more balanced economic approach. On the one hand US consumer market is the greatest driver of economic activity in the world and we can afford some smaller profit margins in the short term for some of the bigger players to achieve a more sustainable long term growth for midsize and smaller ones. Though on the other many of our friends and allies can do the job as well as we can or even better what resources are available, what returns can be expected and is the product important enough for our community health that it’s worth the disruption even if the cost benefit analysis shakes out positively.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 10:07 AM

Lightbulb

I have been watching one particular HSR youtube advocate for USA HSR proposals named City Nerd. Hos "gravity" model is a basic, simplistic way to compare the viability of city pairs. There are many videos published already. But the major jest of his videos places the emphasis that the very best city pairs in the USA are already connected by Amtrak's famed Northeast Corridor.
That there are few as highly rated city pairs in the USA not including the NEC.
DFW to H (Texas Central), LA to LV (Brightline West), O to M (Brightline), and C to D (Wolverine). Every great city pair for USA HSR either has someone studying and planning to build higher speed trains, or as is the case of the Wolverine and Northeast Corridor someone actually running higher speed trains along the route.
Whereas I agree, 110 to 125 mph maximum speed trains is rather slow internationally, they are fast for the USA. I can not see the USDOT spending more money on any of these corridors recently upgraded to "Higher" Speed Rail except improvement projects to eliminate choke points from now on.
The other highly ranked city pair projects have private enterprise looking at providing that new HSR service. Discussions of other city pair projects is really a waste of time and effort. There just is not enough business there to make the HSR effort worthwhile.
Watch a few City Nerd HSR videos to understand that last statement. Scores less than 5 really do not compare well with scores above 20.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2023, 1:56 PM

I believe trains from Chicago to St Louis are now running at 110 mph. Along with the upgrade, many of the stations were either replaced with new buildings, or had renovations done.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2023, 11:23 AM

Lightbulb American built does not mean 100% built in America

The Build America Buy America Act is a domestic content procurement preference for all Federal financial assistance obligated for infrastructure projects after May 14, 2022. The act requires that all iron, steel, manufactured products, and construction materials used in covered infrastructure projects are produced in the United States. The act was enacted as part of the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act on November 15, 2021. The goal of the act is to increase a resilient domestic supply chain and manufacturing supply for critical materials both for emerging and existing industries in the United States.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2023, 7:44 PM

The Lincoln Service isn't much slower than the Acela at this point.
STL to CHI is 284 miles in 5 hours. Philly to Boston is 300 miles in 5 hours. I guess it's impressive the Acela can still surpass a train running through farm fields.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2023, 5:07 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprice1828 View Post
STL to CHI is 284 miles in 5 hours. Philly to Boston is 300 miles in 5 hours. I guess it's impressive the Acela can still surpass a train running through farm fields.
Per Amtrak, https://amtrakjournal.com/2022/02/08...a-express-faq/
Common trip times:
New York City/Penn Station to Boston/South Station: 3 hours and 42 minutes
New York City/Penn Station to Washington, DC: 2 hours and 55 minutes
Boston/South Station to Washington, DC: 6 hours and 46 minutes
Where did you get that 5 hours data point from? You are off by over an hour.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2023, 7:22 AM

Acela from Philly to Boston is 5 hours at minimum, with some trips taking 5 and a half hours, as listed on their official website. Amtrak Journal isn't affiliated with Amtrak

Old Posted Aug 14, 2023, 9:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Should be a hsr elevated line between the two, and any farmers complaining about it will lose all subsidies.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2023, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Is it 300 track miles? I know the tracks north of NYC to Boston run along the CT coast with lots of curves, not the most direct route to Boston.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 2:32 AM

Wash. Democrats ask Buttigieg for $200M to plan Canada-Seattle-Portland bullet train

Quote:
SEATTLE — In hopes to deliver 250 mph rail service by midcentury, the Democrats in Washington's congressional delegation are asking the federal government for $198 million to help plan a route between Vancouver, B.C.; Seattle; and Portland.

The Cascadia high-speed corridor would be faster than any trains that currently operate in the United States, though contractors are now building a starter bullet-train line in central California.

Washington state's eight Democratic representatives, and both senators, signed the funding request to federal Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg in a letter dated Tuesday. Grants would be drawn from President Joe Biden's $2 trillion infrastructure program, passed by Congress in 2021, which contains $66 billion for railways.
https://thebrunswicknews.com/news/na...9a907c4a5.html

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
Per Amtrak, https://amtrakjournal.com/2022/02/08...a-express-faq/
Common trip times:
New York City/Penn Station to Boston/South Station: 3 hours and 42 minutes
New York City/Penn Station to Washington, DC: 2 hours and 55 minutes
Boston/South Station to Washington, DC: 6 hours and 46 minutes
Where did you get that 5 hours data point from? You are off by over an hour.
I said Philly, not D.C.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfastx View Post
Is it 300 track miles? I know the tracks north of NYC to Boston run along the CT coast with lots of curves, not the most direct route to Boston.
It's probably more. I did some quick measurements in Google Earth and rounded up to attempt to accommodate the meandering it does in CT. Regardless, I think the Lincoln Service should be celebrated for coming close to the Acela's average speed. But also the Northeast deserves better. Personally, I think Metro North territory is currently the biggest under achiever. Obviously the new tunnel in Baltimore will help a lot too.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 11:20 AM

New bullet trains misfire on old U.S. railroad tracks

https://www.eenews.net/articles/new-...ilroad-tracks/

Quote:

- The first U.S.-made high-speed “bullet” trains will start running as early as 2024 between Boston, New York and Washington, with the promise of cutting transportation emissions by attracting new rail passengers who now drive or fly. But Amtrak’s plan to run high-speed rail service on its Northeast Corridor faces a major obstacle — the 450-mile route does not have modern tracks that can handle the speed. --- Amtrak, a federally owned passenger-rail company, will have to operate the new trains on tracks that were built more than a century ago for much slower commuter and freight service. The bullet cars will be forced to run slower than 110 mph in most segments.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 12:19 PM
Show me the blueprints

I feel like there needs to be a law about ignorant people writing stories on topics they have no understanding of.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation