HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 7:29 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post

This one looked super ambitious. Would have redefined Winnipeg's skyline. Some really big buildings in there.

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 8:52 PM

That is a very ambitious plan... it's consistent with what CN was doing in that era.

I'm not saying what we ended up with is bad, but it's curious how we got from that massive buildout to The Forks as we know it. I wonder if that basically would have been our North Portage development, i.e. would it have effectively replaced everything that went up as part of the North Portage development scheme? I doubt Winnipeg could have supported two massive redevelopments on that scale.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 9:32 PM

East Yards

Ambitious may be the understatement of the year.

I think one of the reasons this kind of plan never materialized there is because that land became a National Historic Site. And by 1980/81 North Portage was the focus of CAI.While I was enamored with the GWL plan that I saw back in 1973, this other concept seems to have tried to pile too much into that space. Personally, I think we got the better deal with the way the forks was ultimately developed. It is a far more human place. Hopefully the residential developments will bring even more life...but that is for another thread.
Still hoping the 1973 renderings come to the surface.

You may recall at one point most of North Portage (as part of CAI) was to be bulldozed for a series of plazas. The last remnant of that scheme was what became known as Window Park...at the Air Canada bldg (another Axworthy plum) and stretched back to connect to a slightly elongated Central Park.

Cheers

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 5:23 AM

Has anyone found anything new that wasn't built

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 2:53 PM

Took a quick look and didnt see so sorry if posted already, Concordia Health and Fitness center:

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 4:38 PM
What could go wrong?

It will still be built, but a little less ambitious and part of a residential seniors building. Phase 1 - a 7 storey, 175 unit building should start in the next month or so. Phase 2 is slated for next year and is an additional 105 units in a 7 storey building featuring the wellness centre.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 5:18 PM

Cool

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 5:46 PM

Wow I've never seen that. Shame the renders won't be built. A very pretty and modern building

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 6:54 PM

I live right beside Concordia Village and this is a pamphlet that we received last year.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 10:26 PM
What could go wrong?

Thanks for that. I'm at the lake and don't have access to the images.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpgJetsICE View Post
I live right beside Concordia Village and this is a pamphlet that we received last year.

87 000 sq ft, that's pretty substantial even if it isn't to the level of the renders. For reference the U of Ms Active Living Centre is 100 000 square feet and the public gym's strength and cardio area is 38 000 square feet.

Their 87k probably includes a pool which will occupy a big chunk of it but nevertheless still a decent build.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 3:00 PM

The original Concordia Health and Fitness Center was envisioned as as spiritual sibling to the Wellness Center at Seven Oaks which itself is a broader and more modern take on the Refit Center on Taylor. Collective they come out of a branch of healthcare for both rehabilitation and prevention. The key piece of both Wellness and the Concordia concept is to offer a place for people to improve and maintain their overall fitness but with more educational aspects included that a normal gym. It also can include a branch on physio for helping recover from an injury.

I say it is similar to Refit as that concept apparently goes back to the early 70s where medicine really started to focus on overall health. Refit began its journey as a branch out of cardiac rehabilitation where Wellness and the proposed Concordia facility as more broadly focused as medicine has expanded to realize that prevention is as large a part of overall care as treatment after an event and not just in terms of cardiac care.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The original Concordia Health and Fitness Center was envisioned as as spiritual sibling to the Wellness Center at Seven Oaks which itself is a broader and more modern take on the Refit Center on Taylor. Collective they come out of a branch of healthcare for both rehabilitation and prevention. The key piece of both Wellness and the Concordia concept is to offer a place for people to improve and maintain their overall fitness but with more educational aspects included that a normal gym. It also can include a branch on physio for helping recover from an injury.

I say it is similar to Refit as that concept apparently goes back to the early 70s where medicine really started to focus on overall health. Refit began its journey as a branch out of cardiac rehabilitation where Wellness and the proposed Concordia facility as more broadly focused as medicine has expanded to realize that prevention is as large a part of overall care as treatment after an event and not just in terms of cardiac care.
Exactly, Wellness and Rehfit are considered Medical Fitness Facilities (there's a whole international designation process) where there is a base level of staffing that involves nurses/medical staff so that higher-risk individuals can exercise and be attended to quickly if needed. They also both offer cardiac stress testing and a few other medicofitness services that you won't find anywhere else other than maybe the U of M. The "trainers" or general fitness staff have higher certification standards as well, unlike big box gyms that can certify trainers with minimal background knowledge.

Hopefully Concordia will still go through this process as well, since I was pretty certain that was the plan when it was originally proposed.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 5:59 PM

Does anyone have any other unbuilt projects for winnipeg

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 7:59 PM

Don't think this OV project has been shared on here:

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 9:59 PM
There is always a way

Where was that supposed to be?
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Where was that supposed to be?
was that the building planned for the former saigon apts?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
was that the building planned for the former saigon apts?
No this was on Roslyn but the other side of Osborne. They were going to demolish the namesake Dennistoun house (166 Roslyn), which iirc was removed from the historic building registry for this project to proceed.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 1:09 PM

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 1:11 PM

Wilson Subway plan 1959

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan