HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 8:12 PM

Herewith is a link to the SF Planning Department with documents related to 30 Van Ness Avenue.
https://sfplanninggis.org/pim/

I have downloaded a PDF file with a lot of information with plans of the building. I don't know at the moment where to locate it or link. The document is M-20717.pdf.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 9:02 PM

Artist view of what the entrance might look like at the corner of Van Ness Avenue and Market Street. I think we will all look at this picture with some amusement.

Van Ness and Market_entrance

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 9:25 PM
你的媽媽

Not bad. Could be worse I suppose.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
Artist view of what the entrance might look like at the corner of Van Ness Avenue and Market Street. I think we will all look at this picture with some amusement.

Van Ness and Market_entrance
That landscaping though... The entire thing is pretty garish IMO. Hopefully, it's just high-level/conceptual filler for the rendering.

I don't understand the emerging trend of using debris and boulders in place of functional or more elegant materials in these applications.

Not unlike what NEMA did with their corner entrance, it's totally out of context for the area and looks cheap.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 11:27 PM

Ground floor plan from the San Francisco Planning Department.

30 Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Partial Demolition Starts For 30 Van Ness Avenue, Civic Center, San Francisco
BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:30 AM ON JULY 22, 2021

Scaffolding has been erected for the partial demolition at 30 Van Ness Avenue, where a future mixed-use tower with affordable housing is expected to become the 24th tallest building in the Bay Area planned or built. The 540-foot tower will create 333 condominiums and nearly a quarter of a million square feet of commercial office area in San Francisco’s Civic Center neighborhood by City Hall. Lendlease is the project developer.

Solomon Cordwell Buenz is the project architect. The structure starts with curtainwall wrapping along the ground level and a nine-story podium clad with a grid of off-white glass fiber reinforced concrete and bronze-tone metal accents. Off-white metal panels matching the platform will cover the set-back 38-story residential component.

The 47-story project has a rooftop height of 520 feet, though architectural features reaching 540 feet above street level. The proposed built area spans 818,200 square feet, with 468,300 square feet for residential use, 234,100 square feet for offices, 20,920 square feet for retail, and 1,560 square feet for public open space. The parking garage is roughly 40,000 square feet with a capacity for 151 vehicles thanks to multiple car stackers.

The office lobby will connect to a 5,650 square foot multi-purpose space with a mezzanine and a two-story-high ceiling. Three spots for retail will service the room and its copious tables and concrete stadium seating. Renderings show a restaurant, coffee stand, and florist as potential businesses to set up shop . . . .

Of the 333 condominium units, sizes will range from studios to three bedrooms. 83 condos will be sold below the market rate as on-site affordable housing. 33 will be affordable to low-income households earning roughly 80% of the Area Median Income (AMI). 18 condos will be affordable for households earning around 105% AMI, and 33 will be sold to households earning 130% AMI.

Residential amenities will span the top of the 130-foot tall podium. Three outdoor decks will offer, among other activities, a place for lounging, outdoor dining, and a dog run, all with a panoramic scene and only a few towers to block the view. The interior space will be divided between a fitness center, a coworking lounge, a socializing room, a solarium, and a game room.

The top six penthouse units capping the tower will each have access to a private terrace, made possible by the angled design.

The project is targeting LEED Platinum certification.

30 Van Ness Avenue is on pace to become the tallest building in San Francisco found west of the Financial District. This milestone is expected to be eclipsed by the 55-story proposal at 10 South Van Ness Avenue, which will rise across Market Street on the property currently hosting the city’s Immersive Van Gough Exhibit.

The existing five-story structure will be partially demolished and integrated into the new development’s podium.

New building permits estimate a minimum construction cost of $244 million, lasting 44 months from ground-breaking to completion. The 2018-signed development agreement shows the project to contribute up to $12 million for affordable housing on top of the affordable on-site dwellings and up to $5.9 million to support transportation city-wide.

https://sfyimby.com/2021/07/number-2...francisco.html

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 1:58 AM

Really nice addition to the Mid Market hub. Looking at the picture, is One Oak included in there ? Have not heard much about that development after the last extension . Also, is that a helicopter pad on top of the “Uber” building?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 3:18 AM
你的媽媽

Very nice, this should be a game changer for this part of SF. This will be good for 19th tallest in SF when completed. 10 South Van Ness is supposed to be 590 ft though I believe.

The next tallest in this area are:
100 Van Ness - 400 ft
1550 Mission - 400 ft

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theskysthelimit View Post
Really nice addition to the Mid Market hub. Looking at the picture, is One Oak included in there ? Have not heard much about that development after the last extension . Also, is that a helicopter pad on top of the “Uber” building?
I think so. It’s been there since that was the BofA data center.

Interesting tidbit about that building:

Quote:
One of the few buildings in SF that was designed and engineered to be expanded vertically at a future date. The building can be doubled in height without major changes to the lower portion.
https://www.emporis.com/buildings/11...ancisco-ca-usa

Last edited by Pedestrian; Jul 23, 2021 at 4:15 AM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2021, 8:09 PM

Again there is the claim that the current building will be "partially demolished" & incorporated in the new high rise. The current building is an old one with panels to make it look younger. It makes no sense to incorporate anything of the old building. It is not historical as far as I know, unless the once Arthur Murry Dance Studio is historical. The new building will require a significant foundation to support the 540 foot structure which requires the old one to be taken away. I have yet to see anything to support the idea that any part of the old building will be retained.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2021, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Again there is the claim that the current building will be "partially demolished" & incorporated in the new high rise. The current building is an old one with panels to make it look younger. It makes no sense to incorporate anything of the old building. It is not historical as far as I know, unless the once Arthur Murry Dance Studio is historical. The new building will require a significant foundation to support the 540 foot structure which requires the old one to be taken away. I have yet to see anything to support the idea that any part of the old building will be retained.
Obviously, the cladding will be removed. What will likely be preserved is some portion of the framework which is either reinforced concrete or structural steel. Given what we've seen in Florida can happen to reinforced concrete over time, I'm guessing it's structural steel. But in any case it's certainly possible to extend or reinforce the portion of the foundation under the tower as necessary (the portion of the podium not under the tower is probably fine as it is).

Do you recall that the foundation of 760 Mission was completed for a midrise building but ultimately what was built there was a tall tower? Foundations can be modified.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2021, 9:19 PM

I'm wondering if they're retaining part of the existing building in order to keep the office space allocation.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 3:45 AM

Okay. Here are two plans that show that at BASEMENT LEVEL an existing portion of the basement wall to remain from the old building in the basement, AND at LEVEL 1 visible portion of the foundation wall to remain. Notice the text on the Fell Street side of the plan for the information mentioned. I can see no reference that indicates any other portion of the present building will be 'incorporated' into 30 Van Ness Avenue.

As I cannot read an architectural plan with any certainty any comments are welcome.

These two plans are partial images from SF Planning Commission Motion 20717, Hearing Date May 21, 2020.

Basement Plan 30 Van Ness

Level 1 Floor Plan - Visible portion of existing foundation wall to remain

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 7:29 AM

9/31/2021 - view from the 1300 block of Market St. gives an idea of how the new 46 story building at 30 Van Ness Ave. will dominate the view.

View From the 1300 Block of Market St.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 3:56 PM

Quote:
9/31/2021 - view from the 1300 block of Market St. gives an idea of how the new 46 story building at 30 Van Ness Ave. will dominate the view.

View From the 1300 Block of Market St.
Great context!

That corner lot, where Mavelous used to be, definitely needs a facelift (or teardown, honestly). It looks sad AF, esp in relation to all the newer builds within a short radius. Yikes.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 2:28 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMucho View Post
That corner lot, where Mavelous used to be, definitely needs a facelift (or teardown, honestly). It looks sad AF, esp in relation to all the newer builds within a short radius. Yikes.

here is 30 V Ness itself from more head-on

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 7:23 AM

Ugly Building Market & Fell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMucho View Post
Great context!

There has been work on the building recently with the removal of the sign supports. Note in my photo that the windows on the corner are blocked by cinder blocks where the sign was. I seem to remember in the news there is a remodel happening there. A good paint job would go a long way to make this building more presentable.

A wee bit of history of the building. When I moved into the Fox Plaza (50 years ago this year), A young Chinese couple had a grocery store there. It was very sad that they were evicted to make way for a preferred business in the space.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 9:05 PM

8/19/21 - Today was my first view of the demolition in progress! A blow torch was in use to cut metal while I took the photo.

Market & Van Ness Demolition

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 9:26 AM
heavy user of walkability

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 12:04 AM

11/13/2021 I can now see some of the partial demolition at the corner of Van Ness & Fell Streets. It is my understanding that part of the old 1908 building will be retained with additional floors added for the podium.
30 Van Ness Avenue & Fell Street, San Francisco

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction