HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I guess you didn't read their instagram post on that link. I will copy the text here (bolding is mine). The last part asking for donations is a bit rich, considering the post accompanies some obviously recent pictures from a Caribbean vacation.
Well, in fairness, without the donations, they might not have been able to go on that much-needed Caribbean vacation!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 7:32 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
I guess you didn't read their instagram post on that link. I will copy the text here (bolding is mine). The last part asking for donations is a bit rich, considering the post accompanies some obviously recent pictures from a Caribbean vacation.
You didn’t address my point, you’ve merely stated an opinion. I was just making an observation, and one that I don’t think is incorrect. Plenty of people use their businesses to make political statements but I doubt they’d all fall under the category of idiots as referred to in the original post. By the way, I’m not making any pronouncements of agreement or disagreement with anyone, just thought it bears pointing out the absurdity of the statement.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 7:44 PM

They injected hot button politics into their livelihood and now they have lost their livelihood. Total. Fucking. Idiots.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 7:48 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
You didn’t address my point, you’ve merely stated an opinion. I was just making an observation, and one that I don’t think is incorrect. Plenty of people use their businesses to make political statements but I doubt they’d all fall under the category of idiots as referred to in the original post. By the way, I’m not making any pronouncements of agreement or disagreement with anyone, just thought it bears pointing out the absurdity of the statement.
Here's an actual absurd statement (perhaps even idiotic..?):

rather than obey a fascist government that purposely hid the truth and promoted a lie to steal your freedom and destroy our once great economy

I know what I think this opinion means with respect to the person that took the time to think it up, type it, and post it. I'll give you a hint: it rhymes with ridiot.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 7:57 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Here's an actual absurd statement (perhaps even idiotic..?):

rather than obey a fascist government that purposely hid the truth and promoted a lie to steal your freedom and destroy our once great economy

I know what I think this opinion means with respect to the person that took the time to think it up, type it, and post it. I'll give you a hint: it rhymes with ridiot.
Okay, I see that you haven’t understood my point at all. Cool cool
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Read as: “when people use their business to make a political statement I don’t like, they must be idiots”
Examples of businesses making political statements that don't fall under the category of idiots as referred to in the original post?

Vaccines should not be a political issue. Science is not political, although it seemed to twisted as such by certain people.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Examples of businesses making political statements that don't fall under the category of idiots as referred to in the original post?

Vaccines should not be a political issue. Science is not political, although it seemed to twisted as such by certain people.
It’s not a question of having strong opinions, it’s a matter of having the wisdom to separate those opinions from the operation and image of the business that is what provides you the means for you and your family to survive and function. It is simply utterly foolish no matter how you spin it from a “right to have an opinion” or “like the opinion or not” perspective. Certainly, nothing stopped them from going about things the way they chose and I definitely don’t agree with anything about them or their operation, but now they have lost their business because of that, and that seems utterly not worth it in any way.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 9:23 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Not sure.

You commented:

Quote:
Plenty of people use their businesses to make political statements but I doubt they’d all fall under the category of idiots as referred to in the original post
As demonstrated quite clearly in this case, yes, these people are idiots.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 1:23 PM

Quote:
I'll add a word on the posters behalf to make it more clear:

It takes a true idiot(s) to use their business as an idiotic political statement.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 3:41 PM

The facts behind Monstrosity Burger are a little different than how they present it. Tuxedo Village Family Restaurant was a fairly good going concern then the owners took to social media to spread their racist beliefs. Business turned down significantly as a result. They setup a new store front on the same kitchen keeping the existing name and dining room open too. People quickly saw through it. The epic downturn in the restaurant sector hit with the pandemic and further drove down their business. Their response was to pile on the anti-vaxxer movement to further alienate potential customers. The free-dumb movement evaporates and Monstrosity/Tuxedo Village finds they have no customers left.

Definitely no one to blame but themselves for repeatedly focusing in on ever narrowing niche markets.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 7:58 PM

Nice to see Adam Donnelly back in the City’s restaurant scene. Petit Socco has taken over the Close Company space on Stafford. Write up here:

https://eatnorth.com/dan-clapson/fir...nt-petit-socco

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Definitely no one to blame but themselves for repeatedly focusing in on ever narrowing niche markets.
That's what it boils down to... political statements are not necessarily inherently touchy if they are not that controversial.

"We stand with Ukraine" is a political statement, but it's very innocuous by local standards and you are just going to lose at most a few extremists and a handful of Russian cranks with a statement like that. Not exactly a risky statement to make from a business standpoint given that there is nearly unanimous support for that position.

Conversely, "Respect the Sanctity of Life" might not raise eyebrows in Steinbach or Winkler, but it may not be warmly received by everyone in Winnipeg.

Then once you get to stuff like "FASCIST TRUDOPE STOP TRAMPLING MY RIGHTS WITH YOUR PLANDEMIC" you are losing a large chunk of the population that doesn't believe this. And that's what happened to Monstrosity Burger. There are other businesses that were tarnished with similar stances, although maybe none quite as visible as Monstrosity Burger.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That's what it boils down to... political statements are not necessarily inherently touchy if they are not that controversial.

"We stand with Ukraine" is a political statement, but it's very innocuous by local standards and you are just going to lose at most a few extremists and a handful of Russian cranks with a statement like that. Not exactly a risky statement to make from a business standpoint given that there is nearly unanimous support for that position.
With the large number of refugees from Ukraine and their supporters saying you stand with Ukraine could bring in new business and result in net gains even after accounting for those losses, even more so if you are openly employing Ukraine refugees or otherwise supporting them.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by complex View Post
I believe the old Applebee's on Pembina is going to be the new Children's Dental World.
You are correct!

I actually called there (current/old location) not long ago as the child had a loose tooth that was very painful. She stopped eating drinking and talking and was in pain. She had a lot of anxiety about the dentist but as we drive past Children's Dental World often and she sees kids there she seemed open to going. I called them and they said you have to "interview" with a dentist before they will see you.

Is that the norm now? I said, well, its sort of urgent. She said too bad. Interview with the dentist and then make an appointment to come back at a later date.

Our regular dentist managed to squeeze us in.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
You are correct!

I actually called there (current/old location) not long ago as the child had a loose tooth that was very painful. She stopped eating drinking and talking and was in pain. She had a lot of anxiety about the dentist but as we drive past Children's Dental World often and she sees kids there she seemed open to going. I called them and they said you have to "interview" with a dentist before they will see you.

Is that the norm now? I said, well, its sort of urgent. She said too bad. Interview with the dentist and then make an appointment to come back at a later date.

MD's have been doing meet and greets for a while to decide if they want to take you as a new patient

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 10:08 PM

Oof... What was once Le Garage Cafe is now becoming... Pregame Sports Bar & Lounge.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 11:38 PM

Quote:
You are correct!

Not a fan of children’s dental world. My daughter got a referral there because she was nervous about a filling and they offer laughing gas which our dentist didn’t. Had to go in for another assessment then the schedule for the filling wasn’t for months later, despite them saying it should be done right away. There’s always so many people in there even first thing and long waits. The staff didn’t seem any better with kids than the other dentist office either.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 5:45 PM

Subway on Pembina near McGill, sign up that it's to be a KFC (I believe someone posted somewhere here they heard Popeyes).

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Subway on Pembina near McGill, sign up that it's to be a KFC (I believe someone posted somewhere here they heard Popeyes).
Interesting as the 7-11 north of it was a KFC until around 2012/2013

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 6:15 PM

Chicken yum

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan